CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
Iain Lanivich

Profile:
Crossfit Shoes for Overpronation

Does anyone know of any good Crossfit shoes for overpronation? My running shoes have too much cushion, and my Inov8's have no support.

I currently have Patella Tendonitis (due to improper squat form). After watching me squat, my physical therapist believes some of my form issues (knee caving) is due to overpronating. Both my feet tend to cave in when I go down, causing my knees to go with them.

Any thoughts?

Or has anyone had any success in putting an orthotic in their Inov8's?

Thx,
Iain
Old 01-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Shoes for Overpronation

I would go with an orthotic if possible

There's no evidence that "type" of shoe (stability, motion control, pronating/supination/etc) helps decrease injury rates.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
Josh Brehm

Profile:

Steven,

I'm surprised to hear you suggest orthodics in this situation after reading the articles on your website. Is the reason why you suggest orthodics in this situation because of the current tendonitis?

I'm certainly not nearly as medically trained as Steven is, Iain, but i have personal experience with flat feet/very pronated feet, especially my left foot. I got custom $400 orthodics made for my feet a few years ago and began using them religiously. Early last year, I was then casually diagnosed by an excellent chiropractor with piriformis syndrome, which I believe was brought on by poor sitting, poor posture, and wearing thick soled shoes/boots with orthodics. Ever since ditching the orthodics and gradually going with minimalist shoes or barefoot as often as possible, my back has made significant improvement.

As for your knee issue, I find that my feet collapse significantly as well when I squat high bar back squats. I feel that this occurs because of limited flexibility in my ankles and hamstrings. Using lifting shoes (dress shoes for me from walmart), and a low bar back squat position has really helped me focus on keeping an arch in my feet. As well as working on my mobility via Kelly Starret's mobilitywod.com (WFS).

My suggestion (take it with a grain of salt), treat the tendonitis as your PT tells you to, especially by not doing anything that hurts your knee(s), and take this time to work on your flexibility. Also, do some research on how to low bar back squat (and squat in general via Kelly's videos). When you've recovered, get some lifting shoes and try doing some light low bar back squatting and see if perhaps you're able to maintain that foot arch.

Oh, and research how to strengthen your feet if you haven't yet.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
Jason Peacock

Profile:

Short answer:

Don't let your feet cave when you squat. That'll keep your knees tracking properly and no-pain squats.

Seriously, just stop it.

Long answer:

I used to be an extreme over-pronator, had custom orthotics, flat feet, and couldn't run w/o causing kneecap pain. Then I cured it.

I switched to some sorta-minimal shoes (Newton Motion), used basic arch supports (superfeet) and learned to POSE run. During the process of learning to run correctly and wearing less support, my feet became stronger.

Now I can run a 5k in Vibrams w/o problem, and my feet have arches! I can walk all day in any shoe w/o pain.

My squats still have a tendency to let the knees fall inward - I have to consciously push my knees out and make sure my feet don't cave, but that's manageable, and eventually my feet/legs will get even stronger and it'll become second nature.

So...flat feet can be fixed. It'll take a while (it took me 2yrs). But you don't have to accept it.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Lanivich View Post
Does anyone know of any good Crossfit shoes for overpronation? My running shoes have too much cushion, and my Inov8's have no support.

I currently have Patella Tendonitis (due to improper squat form). After watching me squat, my physical therapist believes some of my form issues (knee caving) is due to overpronating. Both my feet tend to cave in when I go down, causing my knees to go with them.

Any thoughts?

Or has anyone had any success in putting an orthotic in their Inov8's?

Thx,
Iain
I love my adidas Sambas, flat shoe but good support
Old 01-26-2012, 06:50 AM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Brehm View Post
Steven,

I'm surprised to hear you suggest orthodics in this situation after reading the articles on your website. Is the reason why you suggest orthodics in this situation because of the current tendonitis?

I'm certainly not nearly as medically trained as Steven is, Iain, but i have personal experience with flat feet/very pronated feet, especially my left foot. I got custom $400 orthodics made for my feet a few years ago and began using them religiously. Early last year, I was then casually diagnosed by an excellent chiropractor with piriformis syndrome, which I believe was brought on by poor sitting, poor posture, and wearing thick soled shoes/boots with orthodics. Ever since ditching the orthodics and gradually going with minimalist shoes or barefoot as often as possible, my back has made significant improvement.

As for your knee issue, I find that my feet collapse significantly as well when I squat high bar back squats. I feel that this occurs because of limited flexibility in my ankles and hamstrings. Using lifting shoes (dress shoes for me from walmart), and a low bar back squat position has really helped me focus on keeping an arch in my feet. As well as working on my mobility via Kelly Starret's mobilitywod.com (WFS).

My suggestion (take it with a grain of salt), treat the tendonitis as your PT tells you to, especially by not doing anything that hurts your knee(s), and take this time to work on your flexibility. Also, do some research on how to low bar back squat (and squat in general via Kelly's videos). When you've recovered, get some lifting shoes and try doing some light low bar back squatting and see if perhaps you're able to maintain that foot arch.

Oh, and research how to strengthen your feet if you haven't yet.
I still don't like them.

If you have a mechanical fault that is causing significant pain, especially with barefoot/minimalist pursuit then orthotics may be a decent idea to get orthotics to help you work pain free while you rehab.

This isn't to say that you are NOT strengthening the feet, ankles, etc during this time. You definitely should be.

You shouldn't think of orthotics as like "catch all" kind of super fixes.

I think of them like casts. Casts can be useful to keep an area pain free and allow the bone to set after a fracture. But eventually you will want to get rid of them as keeping it will only allow to more atrophy and movement issues.

Orthotics can be used as a tool to help improve movement function and decrease pain -- but the eventual goal should always be to correct movement patterns and posture enough that one can eventually get rid of them.

(Of course, it would've been more details if I had just typed the answer up there but I was in a hurry).
Old 02-01-2012, 06:46 AM   #7
John Powell

Profile:

Slight hijack

Steve, (or anyone else) do you have any suggestions for people who need to wear footwear for work? Like say police/military etc. or even dress shoes I suppose. I wear barefoot shoes as much as possible, but my bosses are not friendly to them on the job.

Is it possible to get orthodics that put the foot into a barefoot position? Or are there any brands that are better than others?
Old 02-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Powell View Post
Slight hijack

Steve, (or anyone else) do you have any suggestions for people who need to wear footwear for work? Like say police/military etc. or even dress shoes I suppose. I wear barefoot shoes as much as possible, but my bosses are not friendly to them on the job.

Is it possible to get orthodics that put the foot into a barefoot position? Or are there any brands that are better than others?
used to have pain with leather shoes with hard soles then i switched to rockport dress shoes and now they are the only thing i buy for work.

www.orthopedicsne.com
Old 02-03-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

This might help wfs
http://www.runnersworld.com/communit...st-dress-shoes

Some of vivo barefoot stuff looks OK too
Old 02-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #10
John Powell

Profile:

Thanks guys. I also found these for anyone needing workboots. Not exactly "barefoot" but they look closer

That Vivo site is great!

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=sh...65/pgid-289366 WFS

http://www.militaryboots.com/mens-ta...0&rp=1&rs=desc WFS