CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
Shane Sams

Profile:
Elbows very sore

I've been doing a lot of pull-ups lately. Not just in workouts but 2-3 here and there throughout the day, just trying to get better at it. But now my joints are sore, like right in the tendon/ligs deep in the middle. Any suggestions? Think I should modify the WoD's to avoid my arms/elbows? Lay off the pull-ups and push presses and stuff for a bit? My legs feel great, so should I just focus on leg based wods? And if so, could you guys suggest about a weeks worth of subs for me? Thanks!
Old 01-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
Aaron Gainer

Profile:
Re: Elbows very sore

Massage your forearms 2-3x a day with a lacrosse ball or something similar. They get very overworked from pulling movements and typing on the computer in general, which causes wrist and elbow pain.

Till then, see if you can try ring pullups. These are a bit less taxing on the elbows since they allow natural shoulder rotation.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Hi Shane,

I would suggest not doing pullups, rope climbing or other movements that make your elbows feel worse, then returning to pullups using rings or something that will allow your hands, elbows and shoulders to move as they need to complete the movement.

I am currently doing high volume strict no kip pullups (over 100 reps) using 2" diameter Grapple Grips and have no elbow pain at all, likely due to the handle turning freely much like rings do: http://www.grapplegrip.com/ (WFS). These grips are expensive, but work very well with my current BJJ goals and I don't suffer from elbow pain when using them.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Kelly: are these that much different than doing Rope Pull-ups, or Towel Pull-ups? Because they seeme like cheaper options, just curious.