CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-21-2012, 12:21 AM   #1
Jamie Hentig

Profile:
Rogue S2 vs Pendlay Elite Squat Stand

Alright I've got a decent set up but I'm missing a pull up bar, and a place to bench comfortably without thinking "wonder if my wife can pull a fail 1RM off my chest?"

I've come across two rigs which are basically the same but vary in a few key points being; Hole Pattern, Assembly, and Price

http://www.roguefitness.com/s2-squat-stand.php (wfs) Rogue S2
-awesome hole pattern
-bolted assembly
-bolts to floor
-spotter arms
-Price higher then I would like

http://www.muscledriverusa.com/Pendl...Bar_p_886.html (wft) Pendlay Elite Squat Stand w/ Pull Up bar
-17 hole pattern
-completely welded assembly (I'm not shipping this to my home as I'm currently overseas at the moment, so once I get home I would need drive it to my home.
-does not bolt to floor
-spotter arms
-Price is roughly $100 cheaper with shipping then from Rogue

I'm a huge Rogue fan, but $ talks... any thoughts would be appreciated!
Old 01-21-2012, 01:05 AM   #2
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Re: Rogue S2 vs Pendlay Elite Squat Stand

Notice the small woman kipping from the muscle driver rig? It takes 4, 55 pound plates to anker it to the ground for her. Make sure to add that into your cost considerations because I don't think you're going to hop on that thing out of the box and do a bunch of kipping pull ups if that's something you need it for.

Not saying I'd prefer one or another. I have neither so i cant speak to which one is better, but you're going to have to buy some plates for the MD rig if you don't already have extras. Is it still cheaper? Just something to consider.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:27 AM   #3
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

They'll both need to be weighted/bolted to the floor for kipping pull-ups.

Another thing to consider is the pull-up bar height.

Can't go wrong with Rogue. Plenty of optional add-ons as well.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:03 AM   #4
Jamie Hentig

Profile:

That was my concern as well... the Rogue rig can be bolted down which I like, as for the bar height, with the Rogue single bar, the bar would be at roughly 8'-8'4"... I'm 5'6 Not to concerned there! haha Thanks you guys
Old 01-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
Donald Rice

Profile:

If it were me I would go with the Rogue S2. I own the S1 and it is solid as a rock. My buddy has higher ceilings than I do so he got the S2, and has never had an issue with wobbling. I live near Fort Mill SC, and have visited Muscledriver's showroom. They have their stand on display, and it just isn't as rugged/heavy duty as the Rogue. Both will hold your weight, but the Rogue system is just better in my opinion. Im not saying this just because I like Rogue as a company, I bought my competition plates from Pendlay, but Rogue has definetly got the nicest racks/squat systems. Hope that helps.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
Jon Hanover

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
Notice the small woman kipping from the muscle driver rig? It takes 4, 55 pound plates to anker it to the ground for her. Make sure to add that into your cost considerations because I don't think you're going to hop on that thing out of the box and do a bunch of kipping pull ups if that's something you need it for.

Not saying I'd prefer one or another. I have neither so i cant speak to which one is better, but you're going to have to buy some plates for the MD rig if you don't already have extras. Is it still cheaper? Just something to consider.
I googled pendlay elite pull up squat stand reviews... and if you haven't made a choice yet....I actually own the pendlay rig. You're right, you have to have plates on it... I weigh 185 and put a 45 and 35 on each side (80 lbs) and my butterfly works just fine.

As for the OP talking about cost, I saved $100+ going with http://www.repfitness.com/weightlift...th-pull-up-bar (wfs) instead of the above link...and grabbed a color to match my garage gym. I like like the fact that it came welded together. I'm a decently sized guy, so I prefer to be on something solid. Not saying the s2 isn't, I just prefer a solid piece, and a lower price.

Whichever you choose, hope you're having a good time with it! I am with mine, and I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:06 PM   #7
Luke Conner

Profile:

I bought this http://www.roguefitness.com/econ-squat-stand.php (WFS) which has no pull up bar, but is only $275. It's also on their 3 for free deal where if you get three items on their list they all ship free. http://www.roguefitness.com/deals-cl...ships-free.php (WFS) That's a link to all their items on that list, lots of cheap stuff to, so you could get an extra shirt, or wrist wraps or lots of other cheap stuff and get the squat stand shipped free.

Then I just picked up the $100 Again Faster pull up bar. If you want to stick with Rogue, they have one for $130.

Then you can mount your pull up bar anywhere and not worry about anchoring it down.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:15 PM   #8
Luke Conner

Profile:

Let me just also add that the rogue squat stand is a solid hunk of metal. We have some other squat stands at our gym, and when you stand them next to the Rogue's we just got in they pale in comparison.

I think the one's we got in the gym were these.http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-yoke.php (WFS)
Old 10-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
Cody Lewis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Rice View Post
If it were me I would go with the Rogue S2. I own the S1 and it is solid as a rock.
Agreed! I love my S-1