CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 01-17-2007, 05:08 PM   #11
Gabe Rinaldi

Profile:
Update -

For todays rowing session I did:

1000 meter warm-up breaking the stride into different segments
20 min, no straps, damper at level 2 really focusing on technique
then I took a 15 min. break and watched the concept 2 rowing video that I found
next I did another 20 min piece with no straps and still at level 2

today was the first day that I think my technique has started looking like it really should

I'll gradually add intensity

I would probably revert back to my same old technique if I were to do an all out 500 m
Old 01-17-2007, 09:49 PM   #12
David Aguasca

Profile:
i'll agree with what linc, john, and peter have said.

don't rush the recovery.

on the drive, it's legs, back, then arms.

on the recovery, arms, back, then legs.

ideally, the recovery:drive time should be 2:1. so slow it down, you might actually row faster.

don't scoop your arms on the recovery.

you could do with a tad more layback (increased back angle)

when you've got all that, focus on producing even pressure on the footplate all throughout the drive. additionally, it should be a gradual acceleration from the legs to the back to the arms...so the legs open, then the back opens faster, finally the arms pull even faster than the back.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:58 AM   #13
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Gabe, looked like a strong effort but I would agree with the gang and say with the mass and strength you have you could drop the rating some. This will probably happen all by itself if you focus a little more on a more relaxed recovery.

To help with the arms/ back/ leg sequencing think about brushing your thumbs along your thighs on the return until they clear your knees. To do this without bumping your knees you will need to delay bending them until your thumbs have passed (similar to a dead where you move the body round the bar, rather than bar round the body). Then just continue the movement until you are back in the starting position.

To get the thumbs in contact with the thighs you will have to push down a little after finishing a stroke. This is done with real rowing to clear the oar from the water but also serves to keep the oar moving. The alternative is push/pulling along a dead straight line which means twice a stroke the handle/ oar is dead. By moving the handle around a very thin oval it stays in constant movement without the stop start jerks. Very smooth.

Use the line of the chain to guide your movement - try for a nearly straight line between your elbow and the far end of the chain. Happens naturally on the power phase but use it on the return to try and "feed" the chain back into the cog.

Lastly, there is no real harm with a slight pause or at least slow down at the end of the stroke. On the water, this would be where the boat glides and you take advantage of the power you just put into the stroke. On the C2 it helps to enure that you have completed the stroke (full extension) before racing forward as well as building in a little breathing time. Rythym wise think of it as explode then glide. This should help you last a little better in these sprint efforts.

Cheers, kempie

Old 01-18-2007, 11:28 AM   #14
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
What works for me is putting a mental image of my old Sears jonboat in my head. Oh the hours of my youth I spent rowing that brick! There's nothing like rowing a barn door sideways through the water to give you a more powerful start on your stroke! Glide? What glide?
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/13350/35635.jpg
Old 01-18-2007, 11:49 AM   #15
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Fair point - get a similar feel paddling against the tide on the Thames. Certainly a great mental picture for the drive phase but racing the recovery will drop your speed. Each time you pull on the handle you momentarily slow the fly-wheel.

Tip a bike upside down and spin the wheel with your hands. Does it go ever faster the more frequently you touch the wheel or do you end up slowing it down after a certain point? Rowing is the same.

Analogy provided by Angela Hart.

Cheers, kempie
Old 01-19-2007, 08:27 AM   #16
Gabe Rinaldi

Profile:
I've searched the web for rowing videos with what I would consider good technique. I found tons of them with bad technique, but here's one that seems good to me. It is work safe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbtY0M25-vE
Old 01-19-2007, 09:04 AM   #17
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Gabe, that looks really good. Have you checked out the vid on the concept2 CrossFit page? Technique not quite as sharp but good demonstration of the power/ recovery ratio.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...30133085140658
Peter Dreissigacker (co-founder of Concept2) rowing a 500m piece April 20, 2006 (WS/FS)

Cheers, kempie
Old 01-19-2007, 12:47 PM   #18
Gabe Rinaldi

Profile:
Kempie, thanks for the video...I had not seen it yet. I see what you mean about the technique - he also does not fully recover his arms first....nice power and pace though.

I'm going to row this afternoon so I'll practice my technique and drive to recovery ratio.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:25 PM   #19
Joshua Murphy

Profile:
Good thread, makes me want go row. Kempie, that for posting the link.

Gabe - how did it go yesterday?

Old 01-21-2007, 08:56 PM   #20
Gabe Rinaldi

Profile:
I did a bit of rowing on Friday and Sat. I have been playing around with different damper settings, straps, no straps, stride rates, etc. and just trying to feel comfortable. The more time I spend on the erg the better I feel. This is all just a crash training schedule to attempt to do okay during this indoor rowing competition on 2/11. Maybe I'll record myself during a rowing session this week and put it up to compare.