CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
Shelby Duncan

Profile:
Bulking up?

I'm currently on a paleo challenege for my box. I might not be doing it 100% but I'm trying.
I'm starting to get pretty lean. I'm 6'9 and 213#'s. So my question is, after this challenge is over. How exactly would I have to eat to start bulking up? Or is it even possible to bulk up while crossfitting. I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question.

Another question I had was, I started this challenge a week ago at 220. After te first week I am at 213. Is this loosing too much weight too fast?

Thank you for your time.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
Ryan R Johnson

Profile:
Re: Bulking up?

just my opinion, but a strength program (5/3/1, GLSP, 70s big) plus 2 short (less than 10 minutes) Metcons per week. this is pretty standard fare for staying lean and getting bigger.

if you want to gain muscle mass, youre gonna have to kiss the long metcons goodbye for a little while.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
Ryan R Johnson

Profile:

as for the fast weight loss, you are probably fine. a good portion of it is water weight im sure.

as long as youre not losing strength/ muscle youre good to go.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

You can do a Paleo challenge without having to lose weight--why do you feel like you're being forced to drop pounds? You already weigh the same I do, and you're 9 inches taller than me. I can't imagine you needing to lean out anymore. Just eat more quality food if you think you're wasting away.

If you want to get bigger and stronger, eat a lot more and do more strength work and fewer metcons as Ryan said.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby Duncan View Post
I'm currently on a paleo challenege for my box. I might not be doing it 100% but I'm trying.
I'm starting to get pretty lean. I'm 6'9 and 213#'s. So my question is, after this challenge is over. How exactly would I have to eat to start bulking up? Or is it even possible to bulk up while crossfitting. I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question.

Another question I had was, I started this challenge a week ago at 220. After te first week I am at 213. Is this loosing too much weight too fast?
Given that it sounds like you don't want to lose weight at all, yes.

To add bulk, eat more and lift heavy things. For someone your size, that may be a *lot* of food, and so it may be difficult to get enough calories while staying strictly paleo.

Katherine
Old 01-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #6
Damon Stewart

Profile:

I add dairy to my Paleo template when I want to gain mass plus put in heavy squats and a decent amount of assistance work. It's possible to gain weight on Paleo but then eating becomes your part time job.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
Shelby Duncan

Profile:

I am trying to loose weight, I can only see my top 4 abs when I flex( I know I have a six pack, I can feel the bottom two.) Its just I want to walk around with a six pack without flexing. When I get there, thats when I want to start bulking.

So pretty much, I just eat alot more and do more strength training instead of metcons?
Old 01-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #8
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

You're 6'9" and 213lbs and you're worried about losing weight, getting leaner, and waiting til later to start bulking?

Again....I weigh as much as you do, and am 9 inches shorter than you are. Being overweight is the least of your problems right now.

Part of the trick for having visible abs is genetics. If you're not genetically blessed, you may never look exactly like you want to. But you can get stronger and fitter.

Also keep in mind that any pictures of guys you've seen with ripped abs are probably photoshopped, and only represent what the guys look like at that instant...i.e. it's not a sustainable look for them.

CF (and most other intelligent S&C programs) value performance over aesthetics. What exactly are your goals again? If they revolve around visible abs, you'd be better off doing a program that promises visible abs.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:05 AM   #9
Chris Mason

Profile:

Lol, this CAN'T be serious! 6'9" and 213 lbs??? Let's see a picture.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:00 AM   #10
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Agree with KD, Eric, and Chris. At 6'9" & 213#, you do not need to lose weight. I picture a total beanpole at those numbers.

- Mark