CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
Steven Garcia

Profile:
Albany CrossFit: Revival Strongman (scary)

I'm new to CrossFit (started November '11) and have been hooked ever since. Before that, I was completely out of shape with two horrible knees. Since then, my chronic knee pain is gone and I've lost 20lbs of fat and replaced it with muscle.

So when I saw this video of CrossFit Albany / Crossfit Clifton Park, I was SHOCKED that their coach had filmed the lift and encouraged its participants to continue with the lift when it can be clearly seen that some could barely lift it.

I'll let the video speak for itself, but it's downright scary in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=BDDyxXyf6UU

Thoughts on the video..? Any feedback is welcomed and appreciated.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: Albany CrossFit: Revival Strongman (scary)

This has to be the 5th+ time this has been linked. The people in the video are doing a strongman lift called the continental with a large diameter bar, not a Olympic clean. What they are doing pretty much looks exactly what it's supposed to look like.

A proper continental:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KZNo9LMxvE

Last edited by Rebecca Roth : 01-13-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
Steven Garcia

Profile:

Thank you for the clarification, I appreciate it. For some reason at first glance it just doesn't look... right (almost painful at that).
Old 01-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Strongman is all about lifting to the absolute limit of one's strength with objects that are difficult to grip/carry, as such strongman lifts pretty much always do tend to look really awkward to downright painful.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

...but as was discussed in the other threads, strongman training is probably not the best idea with people who don't already have pretty good strength and technique on basic barbell lifts. The risk/reward balance just doesn't justify it in my opinion.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
Steven Garcia

Profile:

I guess I just have a concern about the clean more than anything. I'm not that well educated in range of motion and functional movement, but it looks like that gym was lucky that no one was seriously injured.

But I suppose that Strongman training can be useful for more experienced CrossFitters who are training for the games. It looks like fun.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #7
Bryan Weingart

Profile:

Most of the continental cleans don't look that bad actually. Not sure why this video gets so much hate, I guess because people aren't aware of the continental clean. I am not sure that I would ever teach somebody the continental clean unless they were training for Strongman, where they would need it. It just isn't a movement that will translate to anything else, and it really does hurt, lol. Here is me doing a heavy axle clean after a pressing day a month or so ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQqXTPfCaNI wfs

Last edited by Bryan Weingart : 01-19-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #8
Mike Jenkins

Profile:

Continentals are the LAST lift I teach at my clinics, if at all! Not really a lift for someone getting into strongman or just training the movement not for a contest. I even shy away from them unless we have to with the strongmen that I train. If you look at MOST strongmen, not all, we have a "ledge" aka belly that makes the lift easier and more fluid. Wearing a belt and using chalk on the chest also helps a great deal. We actually have JUST a max clean for reps at the Arnold this year with the Apollons Wheels, 435 max reps.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Kind of stupid but the weight really isn't very heavy to cause any injury (only a 10 lb axle). More of a pointless activity than anything else.