CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-04-2012, 01:13 AM   #1
Peter Osenev

Profile:
Question Barbell Bench Press

Hi,

I wonder if crossfitters do barbell bench presses while weightlifting. Was unable to find them in the CrossFit Training Manual for instance. Is it for safety reasons?

Thanks.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:39 AM   #2
Dave Traeger

Profile:
Re: Barbell Bench Press

Most crossfitters don't bench. I think it's partly because there's a stigma towards bodybuilding within the crossfit community. In the 2 crossfit boxes I've been to, they've both had minimum 7 squat racks / oly platforms. I don't think either of them had a bench. Since most crossfit workouts are high speed, benching without a spotter at fatigue could be a bad idea. Not many other movements need a spotter as much as bench does and most crossfit wods are done in a 1 coach : 5 to 25 client ratio.

In saying that, there are a couple of main page wods that have bench press in them. Look up Linda for instance.

Quite a few crossfitters these days combine crossfit with a strength program that includes bench press, so obviously do bench regularly then.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:46 AM   #3
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

at CFB we bench press but always with a spotter.

H
Old 01-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

If you want to improve your upper body strength you should be benching regularly. CF doesn't use it as one of its foundational movements, probably because it requires the use of a spotter and a bench as opposed to the press which just needs a bar and a rack.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
Graeme Moore

Profile:

Plenty love for the bench press! See here http://board.crossfit.com/showthread...nch+press+love
Old 01-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Plenty of CrossFitters bench especially as 531 is becoming popular in many CF gyms. Well Simple 531 with no assistance. Very doable for 1 hour classes.

Many CFers in boxes may not bench simply because the gym doesn't have any benches. I rarely see them program floor press as a sub and many sub ring pushups during Lynne or program weighted dips instead. Again, lack of benches.

Other people on their own are just hesistant about benching on their own. Having rolled off failed benches, I can attest I have a dislike for it but that was myself just pushing too hard. Still I'm wary about maximal benches without a partner or a rack to bench inside.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Osenev View Post
I wonder if crossfitters do barbell bench presses while weightlifting.
Yes we do. There is even bench press in the Girls work out "Linda"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Osenev View Post
Was unable to find them in the CrossFit Training Manual for instance. Is it for safety reasons?
No. While benching is probably the most dangerous lift statistically (for major injuries and death like crushing the throat) with the use of a spotter or inside a rack with safety pins this is not an issue.

It can be tough on people who have a history of shoulder problems. Many people also bench with incorrect grips and poor bar path that can add to the pressures on the shoulders. It needs to be done correctly, of course all lifts need to be done correctly.

It is a great strength building lift. It is only 1 of many. Very helpful for women in particular to build upper body strength.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

To note one of my friends who is women's gymnastics coach really likes bench and push press for his girls. And yes, he has some girls who were either national level, going off to D1's or training elites (which really is a misnomer to him).
Old 01-10-2012, 12:18 AM   #9
Peter Osenev

Profile:

Thank you for your feedback guys - this clears things out. Currently I bench using smith machine (and sometimes with a free weight) w/o a spotter on my own risk. I understand I need someone to make progress. Will work that out.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #10
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

I would highly recommend ditching the smith machine, those things will just get you hurt. If you can't have a spotter just don't put collars on the bar in case you get stuck but just use your head and don't go for that last rep if you don't think you can get it. Plenty of people bench without a spotter and are fine, sure you can get hurt (especially if you are moving a lot of weight) but if you are smart about it you can limit that probability.