CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-14-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
John Koshy

Profile:
Spine Crushed From Squat

Not sure if anyone here has read this latest article from Matt Kroc on T-Nation

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=4965644 (WFS)

But, the "Spine Crusher Ken" story gave me the jitters. I'm a powerlifter, raw, and plan on being drug free lifetime...will I ever have to worry about this? I feel like the reason his vertebra got crushed is because of the ridiculous amount of weight on his back relative to his body weight, but a non-geared, drug-free lifter will probably never have a squat weight on his back that will crush his back from compression force...am I right? I thought your spine got stronger from squats and deadlifts done correctly lol...I guess this also goes back to the old myth (assuming it's a myth..) that heavy squats and deadlifts will make you shorter over time due to the heavy compression loads.

Look to hear any thoughts! Haha...I figure this topic title will attract a lot of attention as well.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
Steve Bray

Profile:
Re: Spine Crushed From Squat

dont be scared because there is a handfull of accidents. he could of not of set up properly or tried a weight that was too much for him, or like you said body weight-weight ratio was off. who knows. all i know is i still get in the car even though there are frequent accidents on the road, and ill still squat even though people injure themselves doing squats (i do see my squat is his mothers warm up but still)
|Deadlift 220kgs|Strict press 75kgs|squat 162.5kgs|pullups 67|477 double unders|26rounds cindy| 2:28 Fran|6:08 annie|12 rnd NATE|full snatch 95kg|C+J 110kg|
Old 12-14-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

You missed this part:

Quote:
As for Ken, he did indeed suffer a compression fracture of the thoracic vertebrae (or crushed spine as he eloquently put it). However he would return to training a few months later and went on to squat even bigger weights.
So even though it was a very scary, serious injury, and even though most of us will never have that much weight on our backs, it ultimately didn't have bad long term consequences.

Worried about life-altering accidents? Keep squatting, but don't text and drive on the way to the gym.

Katherine
Old 12-14-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Worried about life-altering accidents? Keep squatting, but don't text and drive on the way to the gym.

Katherine
And that's word because you know it.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
Ben Norris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
You missed this part:

So even though it was a very scary, serious injury, and even though most of us will never have that much weight on our backs, it ultimately didn't have bad long term consequences.

Katherine
The hardest thing about txting while driving is looking out for cops!! Not that i do this, its just what I have heard......
Old 12-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #6
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

Keep squatting, just be gradual in your weight increases.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:42 PM   #7
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

I heard people get into car accidents daily. I still drive all the time.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:33 AM   #8
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
I heard people get into car accidents daily. I still drive all the time.
This!

It's the same as squatting gives you bad knees....
Old 12-16-2011, 09:13 AM   #9
Sean Dunston

Profile:

after having read that article, I am not entirely sure that it is a factual account of anything that might have happened in the real world.

Seriously.

Question for the rest of you:

If someone you were training with suffered an injury in the middle of a work out, and it is serious enough to call 911, and the person was taken away in an ambulance - wouldn't you go to the hospital with him, or follow in your car?

Kroc claims in the article that he's witnessed injuries like these numerous times, and when these 2 (of many) serious injuries happened under his watch, he laughed about it, let one of the injured guys go to the hospital alone, and made the other guy drive himself to the hospital with a torn peck and torn tricep, and on both occasions, he and his buddies continued their training session.

Quote:
Once Ken had been successfully loaded into the ambulance, Chad and I returned to squatting.
Quote:
Just as he unlocked his elbows, his left triceps tendon tore and the weight came crashing down.

It got worse. Once New Guy's left triceps tendon ruptured, all the weight transferred to his right arm, causing his right pec to tear simultaneously. It sounded like a pair of blue jeans being ripped in half.

-snip-

I told New Guy that it was only a torn triceps; no big deal, and that after having surgery he'd be good as new. I even persuaded him to drive himself to the hospital so that the three of us could finish our bench training.
Sorry - that just does not smack of reality to me. I'm guessing it is a modern fairy tale that is being told in order to drive home the point of his story: To be strong you have to be a little crazy (i.e., take some risks that weaker people won't take).

YMMV