CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2011, 07:30 AM   #1
Craig Fletcher
Member Craig Fletcher is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Littleton  CO
Posts: 16
Tips for a faster Grace time?

Hey gang - bad back, so can't do heavy, so today I am going to do Grace instead of C&J 1's. Any tips on getting a PR today? I have only done Grace once and went 4:20, I want to get under 4 today.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
Greg Light
Member Greg Light is offline
 
Greg Light's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Birmingham  MI
Posts: 2,683
Re: Tips for a faster Grace time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Fletcher View Post
Hey gang - bad back, so can't do heavy, so today I am going to do Grace instead of C&J 1's. Any tips on getting a PR today? I have only done Grace once and went 4:20, I want to get under 4 today.
Don't go to full exhaustion. Try to set some sort of interval to get your below your goal time. Not sure if you like stringing them together or not, but you could do 3 every 20 seconds or something like that or 2 every fifteen.

That helped me a lot when I was around the time you are shooting for. I just did this with a heavy grace at 155 and was able to shave almost 3 minutes off my old time. Report back!
__________________
My Workout Log
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
Sean Dunston
Affiliate Sean Dunston is offline
 
Sean Dunston's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alexandria  VA
Posts: 5,730
Re: Tips for a faster Grace time?

Wait...
You have a bad back, so you don't want to do heavy C&J singles, but you want to do 30 reps of C&J for a PR time?

__________________
My gym- Mount Vernon CrossFit
My blog
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
Craig Fletcher
Member Craig Fletcher is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Littleton  CO
Posts: 16
Re: Tips for a faster Grace time?

Hey Sean - I know it sounds funny huh. I mean 1RM C&Js are not good, throwing 250 lbs over my head will get me, mainly the pull off the ground.

I have been to see back and spine experts, MRIs, etc. and they said I can lift, just not HEAVY.. my injury is specific to heavy stuff. I've been doing CrossFit main site WODs over 3 years now, so I know my limits! I don't do anything overhead more than 135 and I am fine there, you have to draw the line somewhere so I drew it at 135.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
Sean Dunston
Affiliate Sean Dunston is offline
 
Sean Dunston's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alexandria  VA
Posts: 5,730
Re: Tips for a faster Grace time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Fletcher View Post
Hey Sean - I know it sounds funny huh. I mean 1RM C&Js are not good, throwing 250 lbs over my head will get me, mainly the pull off the ground.

I have been to see back and spine experts, MRIs, etc. and they said I can lift, just not HEAVY.. my injury is specific to heavy stuff. I've been doing CrossFit main site WODs over 3 years now, so I know my limits! I don't do anything overhead more than 135 and I am fine there, you have to draw the line somewhere so I drew it at 135.
Well - it sounds like you've thought it through.
FWIW, I agree with Greg on the pacing thing, and that might help you keep your form solid, so as to not aggravate your back.
To hit 4:00 even, you need to do 1 rep every 8 seconds: 4 minutes = 240 seconds; 30 reps @ 8 second intervals = 30 reps in 240 seconds. Crank out the last rep in 7 seconds and you'll go sub 4:00.
Good luck on the PR.
__________________
My gym- Mount Vernon CrossFit
My blog
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
Craig Fletcher
Member Craig Fletcher is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Littleton  CO
Posts: 16
Re: Tips for a faster Grace time?

Got r done in 3:44 - PR!. hacked and coughed for about 20 minutes after and my throat felt like I just PR'd FRAN! Do you guys ever hack and cough like that if you go super hard? I don't do that often, but it does happen sometimes.

Tip to pace was very good, don't go too fast out of the gate. Also I allowed myself to drop the bar from overhead instead of guiding it down, that saved me some energy! (duh)

Always feels good to PR. Thanks again guys.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
Jason David
Affiliate Jason David is offline
 
Jason David's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Clair Shores  MI
Posts: 2,906
Re: Tips for a faster Grace time?

I actually disagree with Greg and Shawn on this one I think you have to string as many together that you can in the beginning then switch to singles resting as little as possible. 'Grace' isn't a 'pace' WOD!
__________________
www.stclairshorescrossfit.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #8
Sean Smith
Member Sean Smith is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Auburn  Michigan
Posts: 207
Re: Tips for a faster Grace time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason David View Post
I actually disagree with Greg and Shawn on this one I think you have to string as many together that you can in the beginning then switch to singles resting as little as possible. 'Grace' isn't a 'pace' WOD!
Jason - I have to disagree with you on this. I would pace it out and do sets of equal reps. For example, 5 sets of 6, 3 sets of 10, 15 sets of 2. I think "Grace" is a pace WOD. Singles are really slow especially when you dump it from over your head and the bar bounces away from you and you have to go chase it. My opinion, though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #9
Andrew N. Casey
Banned Andrew N. Casey is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Abilene  KS
Posts: 2,590
Re: Tips for a faster Grace time?

don't stop and don't rest unless you are actually at muscle failure, meaining you CANNOT get the clean or the jerk. don't choose to stop and rest b/c your lungs are gasping, your heart is beating, or your muscles are fatigue or on fire. these workouts are about mental toughness as much as physical ability. i have rarely seen people get to the point that they have to stop, most of the time they choose to stop.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #10
Collin Thompson
Member Collin Thompson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Novato  CA
Posts: 655
Re: Tips for a faster Grace time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
don't stop and don't rest unless you are actually at muscle failure, meaining you CANNOT get the clean or the jerk. don't choose to stop and rest b/c your lungs are gasping, your heart is beating, or your muscles are fatigue or on fire. these workouts are about mental toughness as much as physical ability. i have rarely seen people get to the point that they have to stop, most of the time they choose to stop.
I don't think Grace is a good WOD (irrelevant to this thread though) but I do absolutely agree with what you've said about the mental toughness/choosing to stop.

Last edited by Collin Thompson : 12-02-2011 at 06:40 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Time Grace Tony Piscillo Workout Logs 0 10-18-2009 07:38 AM
Calculate best time and average time for any named workout Bill Patton Community 3 09-12-2007 03:03 PM
I suck in thrusters big time.. tips for improvement? Mark Garcia Exercises 6 04-16-2006 08:37 PM
First time Pit Bull owners--any tips/suggestions? Matthew Scoble Community 35 10-13-2005 08:58 AM
Tips for Decreasing Time on WOD Mike Yukish Workout of the Day 15 09-21-2004 02:46 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.