CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 12-02-2011, 07:30 AM   #1
Craig Fletcher

Profile:
Tips for a faster Grace time?

Hey gang - bad back, so can't do heavy, so today I am going to do Grace instead of C&J 1's. Any tips on getting a PR today? I have only done Grace once and went 4:20, I want to get under 4 today.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
Greg Light

Profile:
Re: Tips for a faster Grace time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Fletcher View Post
Hey gang - bad back, so can't do heavy, so today I am going to do Grace instead of C&J 1's. Any tips on getting a PR today? I have only done Grace once and went 4:20, I want to get under 4 today.
Don't go to full exhaustion. Try to set some sort of interval to get your below your goal time. Not sure if you like stringing them together or not, but you could do 3 every 20 seconds or something like that or 2 every fifteen.

That helped me a lot when I was around the time you are shooting for. I just did this with a heavy grace at 155 and was able to shave almost 3 minutes off my old time. Report back!
Old 12-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Wait...
You have a bad back, so you don't want to do heavy C&J singles, but you want to do 30 reps of C&J for a PR time?

Old 12-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
Craig Fletcher

Profile:

Hey Sean - I know it sounds funny huh. I mean 1RM C&Js are not good, throwing 250 lbs over my head will get me, mainly the pull off the ground.

I have been to see back and spine experts, MRIs, etc. and they said I can lift, just not HEAVY.. my injury is specific to heavy stuff. I've been doing CrossFit main site WODs over 3 years now, so I know my limits! I don't do anything overhead more than 135 and I am fine there, you have to draw the line somewhere so I drew it at 135.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Fletcher View Post
Hey Sean - I know it sounds funny huh. I mean 1RM C&Js are not good, throwing 250 lbs over my head will get me, mainly the pull off the ground.

I have been to see back and spine experts, MRIs, etc. and they said I can lift, just not HEAVY.. my injury is specific to heavy stuff. I've been doing CrossFit main site WODs over 3 years now, so I know my limits! I don't do anything overhead more than 135 and I am fine there, you have to draw the line somewhere so I drew it at 135.
Well - it sounds like you've thought it through.
FWIW, I agree with Greg on the pacing thing, and that might help you keep your form solid, so as to not aggravate your back.
To hit 4:00 even, you need to do 1 rep every 8 seconds: 4 minutes = 240 seconds; 30 reps @ 8 second intervals = 30 reps in 240 seconds. Crank out the last rep in 7 seconds and you'll go sub 4:00.
Good luck on the PR.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
Craig Fletcher

Profile:

Got r done in 3:44 - PR!. hacked and coughed for about 20 minutes after and my throat felt like I just PR'd FRAN! Do you guys ever hack and cough like that if you go super hard? I don't do that often, but it does happen sometimes.

Tip to pace was very good, don't go too fast out of the gate. Also I allowed myself to drop the bar from overhead instead of guiding it down, that saved me some energy! (duh)

Always feels good to PR. Thanks again guys.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
Jason David

Profile:

I actually disagree with Greg and Shawn on this one I think you have to string as many together that you can in the beginning then switch to singles resting as little as possible. 'Grace' isn't a 'pace' WOD!
Old 12-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #8
Sean Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason David View Post
I actually disagree with Greg and Shawn on this one I think you have to string as many together that you can in the beginning then switch to singles resting as little as possible. 'Grace' isn't a 'pace' WOD!
Jason - I have to disagree with you on this. I would pace it out and do sets of equal reps. For example, 5 sets of 6, 3 sets of 10, 15 sets of 2. I think "Grace" is a pace WOD. Singles are really slow especially when you dump it from over your head and the bar bounces away from you and you have to go chase it. My opinion, though.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #9
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

don't stop and don't rest unless you are actually at muscle failure, meaining you CANNOT get the clean or the jerk. don't choose to stop and rest b/c your lungs are gasping, your heart is beating, or your muscles are fatigue or on fire. these workouts are about mental toughness as much as physical ability. i have rarely seen people get to the point that they have to stop, most of the time they choose to stop.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #10
Collin Thompson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
don't stop and don't rest unless you are actually at muscle failure, meaining you CANNOT get the clean or the jerk. don't choose to stop and rest b/c your lungs are gasping, your heart is beating, or your muscles are fatigue or on fire. these workouts are about mental toughness as much as physical ability. i have rarely seen people get to the point that they have to stop, most of the time they choose to stop.
I don't think Grace is a good WOD (irrelevant to this thread though) but I do absolutely agree with what you've said about the mental toughness/choosing to stop.

Last edited by Collin Thompson : 12-02-2011 at 06:40 PM.