CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-16-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
Ethan Boggs

Profile:
Anyone Crossfit 6 days a week?

Trying to get an idea of how many people cross fit 6 days a week?

I finally took the leap and joined an actual Cross fit box three weeks ago, best decision I've made..

Ive done mostly 5 days a week, MTW FS.

But kinda want to just go M-S...

yay nay? what do you all do?
Old 11-16-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Anyone Crossfit 6 days a week?

What are your goals? While it's theoretically possible to train six days a week, it's likely to turn out badly if you aren't following programming designed around that schedule. (With light days and heavy days built in, for instance.) That is less rest than even mainpage Crossfit recommends, and many people find the mainpage schedule very difficult to sustain.

Katherine
Old 11-16-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
Ethan Boggs

Profile:

My goals as of now are to put on some weight (muscle) and just overall fitness, pretty new to the "cross fit" mentality.

I weigh 160, am 20 yrs old 5'9''...

As of right now I will stick to 5 days, six sounded like much, but I guess im just getting addicted.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #4
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Look at the programming at your affiliate. If it has a good blend of strength, Heavy Metcons, and cardio based Metcons, you can definitely go 6 times a week, but if all they have is Metcons, I wouldn't go more than 4 times a week.

Also, if you are trying to put on weight, you will have to eat a ton of food if you are going 6 times a week because you are burning a lot of calories.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:33 PM   #5
Spencer James

Profile:

I could CF 5-6 days a week when I was new to the game largely I think because I still had a lot of strength to gain (and I went into it being reasonably athletic). As you get stronger, faster, etc., the WODs will probably damage you more and a little more time for recovery might be necessary. That said, I think you can train hard if you have your recovery dialed in and you're eating enough.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
Brad Gutting

Profile:

If you want to put on weight, don't go 6x per week. In fact, I'd be wary of going more than 2-3x a week, assuming you'll be doing hard WODs.

Putting on weight is a function of diet and lifting heavy weights (for you, on a linear progression, given that you're pretty novice), and getting plenty of rest. If you do balls-to-the-wall WODs more than 4x a week, you're eventually going to inhibit serious gains in strength and you likely won't add much weight to your frame.

The WODs feel great upon completion, and that explains the "addiction." Because you're working hard and taxing yourself, it's easy to develop a mentality that if you take a day off or do an easier workout, you're stalling out or not helping your fitness. I understand this. Everyone feels this way sometimes, even those with years of experience. It's alright.

This isn't to discourage going, just realize that after a few months--or less--you won't see the same sort of progress. Especially if you're not getting some seriously heavy lifting in there. Take a look at Starting Strength, or Bill Starr's 5x5 program. Both of those protocols have been proven over decades.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #7
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

I have done it before but it isn't something I would continue on a regular basis, way too taxing on the body and my performance suffered.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:17 AM   #8
Patrick Scott

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gutting View Post
If you want to put on weight, don't go 6x per week. In fact, I'd be wary of going more than 2-3x a week, assuming you'll be doing hard WODs.

Putting on weight is a function of diet and lifting heavy weights (for you, on a linear progression, given that you're pretty novice), and getting plenty of rest. If you do balls-to-the-wall WODs more than 4x a week, you're eventually going to inhibit serious gains in strength and you likely won't add much weight to your frame.

The WODs feel great upon completion, and that explains the "addiction." Because you're working hard and taxing yourself, it's easy to develop a mentality that if you take a day off or do an easier workout, you're stalling out or not helping your fitness. I understand this. Everyone feels this way sometimes, even those with years of experience. It's alright.

This isn't to discourage going, just realize that after a few months--or less--you won't see the same sort of progress. Especially if you're not getting some seriously heavy lifting in there. Take a look at Starting Strength, or Bill Starr's 5x5 program. Both of those protocols have been proven over decades.
Well said.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:30 AM   #9
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

I've only been Crossfitting for a bit over two months. Before I started Crossfit I spent 15 years doing your basic weights/cardio program some cleans/sqauts/bench but was also integrating lots of pull ups and dips. It took me a month before I felt good enough to transition to the mainpage 3 on 1 off program.

Most important thing in my opinion, much like everyone else said, define your goals. What do you want to achieve?

It's also very helpful to become familiar with yourself, as in knowing when to stop and knowing when to go. Knowing what kind of pain or soreness can be worked through and what kind can't be. Knowing the difference between your mind not wanting to continue and your body saying enough.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #10
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: Anyone CrossFit 6 days a week?

3 on 1 off = 21 workout in 28 days
6 on 1 off = 24 workouts in 28 days

This would equal about 14% increase over Main-site. Young, with a lot of sleep and high quality food you could probably do it for a while if the gym's programing is good, one day was dedicate to Oly lifting or long slow single modality met-cons.

As you get stronger and your lifting gets better you will actually require more rest.

Personally I like 3 on 1 off, 2 on 1 off. The quality of the second two workouts tends to be better.