CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
Christopher O'Brien
Affiliate Christopher O'Brien is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Marshfield Hills  MA
Posts: 9
What to Name my Affiliate

Hey guys! So I have been accepted as an affiliate and super stoked about it. Only issue is - my name got denied as it was to close to another. This has been a painstakingly arduous process and I don't seem to be getting anywhere. I know it is uncommon to see an affiliate using the owners name, especially a their last name, and was wondering if there was a specific reason behind this. I've run hundreds of names by my closest friends and they all seem to think they are no good and using my name would be best. My last name is O'Brien so the name would be O'Brien CrossFit. I know it will be 'my' brand of CrossFit but am I overstepping any boundaries by doing this? Your thoughts and opinions will be gratefully appreciated. Chris

I really want to use the name 'CrossFit LongStride' (was a big robin hood fan growing up) but get nothing but negativity from my friends on this one. What do you all think?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
Eric R Cohen
Member Eric R Cohen is offline
 
Eric R Cohen's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Southampton  NY
Posts: 845
Re: What to Name my Affiliate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher OBrien View Post
Hey guys! So I have been accepted as an affiliate and super stoked about it. Only issue is - my name got denied as it was to close to another. This has been a painstakingly arduous process and I don't seem to be getting anywhere. I know it is uncommon to see an affiliate using the owners name, especially a their last name, and was wondering if there was a specific reason behind this. I've run hundreds of names by my closest friends and they all seem to think they are no good and using my name would be best. My last name is O'Brien so the name would be O'Brien CrossFit. I know it will be 'my' brand of CrossFit but am I overstepping any boundaries by doing this? Your thoughts and opinions will be gratefully appreciated. Chris

I really want to use the name 'CrossFit LongStride' (was a big robin hood fan growing up) but get nothing but negativity from my friends on this one. What do you all think?
Your friends are smart. Listen to them. Very few people will know what you are refering to, then they'll think it has to do with walking lunges or something.
Maybe think irish. Celtic crossfit?
__________________
Eric Cohen. CF Level 1, 178 5'9".
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:50 PM   #3
Ron Lawson
Member Ron Lawson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bangor  ME
Posts: 3
Re: What to Name my Affiliate

I kind of like the name O'Brien CrossFit. Being in MA, I think it's fitting.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
Brendan McNamar
Affiliate Brendan McNamar is offline
 
Brendan McNamar's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Glendale  AZ
Posts: 2,127
Re: What to Name my Affiliate

If at all possible stick to simple geographically descriptive name. The vast majority of your members will come from close by your gym. You want anyone from your area looking for CrossFit to automatically call you first.

I had to pay an affiliate owner (I bought him a new website) to change his name to be geographically descriptive so I could get my new geographically descriptive name. I think it was a good investment.
__________________
Nomadic CrossFit coach, Masters Competitor
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
Nick Walters
Member Nick Walters is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York  NY
Posts: 23
Re: What to Name my Affiliate

One of the most successful boxes in California is run by two brothers and they named it after them. Crossfit Kinnick. Your name can be a very powerful brand. I think some names people come up with are a little silly.
I have been brainstorming names and since my vision is having multiple boxes around the country, I will have to come up with a general brand name that will transcend multiple markets. Example: General Crossfit East, or General Crossfit West.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:36 AM   #6
Christopher O'Brien
Affiliate Christopher O'Brien is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Marshfield Hills  MA
Posts: 9
Re: What to Name my Affiliate

Thanks everyone! Things just became a little more interesting. Another CrossFit Coach looking for a place just so happened to stumble upon my location and realized we use to train together at the local globo-gym. We have a sit down this Friday to discuss a potential partnership. So the name game begins again!

I appreciate all of your input - It amazes me sometimes how differing ones opinions can be.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:00 PM   #7
Rebecca Roth
Member Rebecca Roth is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Saint Louis  MO
Posts: 2,048
Re: What to Name my Affiliate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Walters View Post
I have been brainstorming names and since my vision is having multiple boxes around the country
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#Affiliates37
You can't own more than one affiliate since 2009, any instances of this were pre-existing that date and got grandfathered in.
__________________
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack in will. - Vince Lombardi
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #8
Nick Walters
Member Nick Walters is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York  NY
Posts: 23
Re: What to Name my Affiliate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#Affiliates37
You can't own more than one affiliate since 2009, any instances of this were pre-existing that date and got grandfathered in.
huh, interesting. Tough to grow a business that way. i understand the lack of micromanagement but you should be able to own multiple boxes around the country.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #9
Lincoln Brigham
Member Lincoln Brigham is offline
 
Lincoln Brigham's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Kirkland  WA
Posts: 3,988
Re: What to Name my Affiliate

There's a very real quality control issue. Affiliation is associated with a trainer, not a location. A trainer can't be in two places at the same time. The current certification process is geared for individual trainers, not organizations.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:20 PM   #10
Nick Walters
Member Nick Walters is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York  NY
Posts: 23
Re: What to Name my Affiliate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
There's a very real quality control issue. Affiliation is associated with a trainer, not a location. A trainer can't be in two places at the same time. The current certification process is geared for individual trainers, not organizations.
Totally agree with you with regards to quality control but I bet there are more individuals than me out there who would like to eventually open multiple locations and recruit the best trainers/coaches out there.
Moreover, I travel all over the world visiting boxes and rarely do I meet (or get trained by) the owner/head trainer and I have had great sessions all over the world. That speaks volumes about that owner and his/her ability to recruit, nurture, and unleash trainers and their high quality training.

Last edited by Nick Walters : 11-09-2011 at 02:46 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Affiliate Help Jesse OBrien Running a CrossFit Facility 0 09-01-2008 04:56 PM
New affiliate... Dan Beirne Community 4 06-05-2008 03:02 PM
LV Affiliate Joe Marsh Running a CrossFit Facility 0 04-07-2006 12:10 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.