CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
Masen Mills

Profile:
Body By Vi

Here we go...... So, my NCOIC's husband came in to our office today ranting and raving about Body By Vi. I’ve been trying to get her (my boss) on CrossFit for quite some time, as she CLAIMS to enjoy a tough workout, but she’s so unreliable with her training, and her personal trainer keeps giving her free packages at LA Fitness, so she never leaves… I think he’s sucked her into it, and she probably is looking for the “magic pill” or quick fix to fitness. CrossFitters know there’s no such thing, but I also have heard many coaches and elite athletes saying to “try new things” and see what works; measure results and keep what works and ditch what doesn’t. That’s what CrossFit is all about, right?

I started researching Body By Vi online today, and I can’t really find out anything more than their marketing pitch. What concerns me mostly about this company is that they push for people to become sales reps (they have some deal where if you get 3 of your friends to buy it, you get yours free) more than they push how great their product (supposedly) is.

From what I could find out, there’s supposed to be a lot of nutrients in each shake (lactose and gluten free, which is good), but without all those pesky calories… They also have the same success stories you hear from people who have gone Paleo (lost weight, gained muscle, overcame degenerative disease, etc.) As most of us know, regulating your food intake to smaller portions, consisting of lean meat, veggies, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar have yielded the same results. I’m definitely skeptical of this product, as I can’t really find any science behind it. It seems like just another protein shake combined with a multi-vitamin. I’m sure that the “average” person on an “average” diet would benefit from this, as they probably aren’t receiving all their nutrients in their crappy meals, but for those of us who do watch what we eat, I’m not sure if it would be necessary or provide any benefit.

I know it sounds like I’ve made my decision about the product, but part of me wants to give it a try to see if I like the results (maybe as a post-WOD shake or something). I wanted to reach out to the CrossFit community first to see if anyone else had any knowledge they could share.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
Zach S

Profile:
Re: Body By Vi

Without knowing anything at all about it i will confidently say its not worth your time to even consider wasting money on it.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masen Mills View Post
I started researching Body By Vi online today, and I can’t really find out anything more than their marketing pitch. What concerns me mostly about this company is that they push for people to become sales reps (they have some deal where if you get 3 of your friends to buy it, you get yours free) more than they push how great their product (supposedly) is.
It sounds like a multilevel marketing plan or pyramid scheme so I'd steer well clear of it if I were you and your boss might want to read this before she gets too heavily involved -

FTC Consumer Alert - Lotions and Potions: The Bottom Line About Multilevel Marketing Plans. (wfs)

Quote:
It seems like just another protein shake combined with a multi-vitamin.
I had a quick look at their website and I have to agree; it's a protein shake + vitamins.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

slimfast is pretty cheap at costco and you dont have to sign up your friends.