CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-23-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
Michael E Tancini

Profile:
best form of yoga to incorporate into my training program?

as the title states, whats the best yoga routine to incorporate into my training program? I train to compete in crossfit.

Thanks
Old 10-23-2011, 10:52 AM   #2
Richard Colon

Profile:
Re: best form of yoga to incorporate into my training program?

I think any is better than none. I've only done Bikram once but it was amazing for flexibility (even more so than a non heated yoga) because you are extremely warm. It was also very good for helping with soreness and recovery - again, because of the heat, blood flow and all that goodness.

I've seen video of Graham Holmberg talking highly of yoga and even if he doesn't go to a specific Bikram place, he had heaters set up in his gym. I'm guessin' the same premise.

Personally, I don't know enough of the routine to do yoga on my own and I don't want to pay extra to take yoga classes so I just pop in my P90X Yoga DVD, set it on the floor in my gym on a laptop and make it happen. It works wonders. I am reluctant to start, thinking of the somewhat boring 90 minutes, but I am always amazed once I am done. Especially with overhead/shoulder flexibility.

I have heard of Power Yoga being good but maybe the intensity can be tough for some. If it is too straining for a recovery day then maybe don't do that type of yoga.

In short, all though too late for that, the best advice would be to do a google search. What are you goals? Is it true recovery (there are some yogas that might feel like a workout if you aren't flexible)? Flexibility? A challenge to the stabilizing muscles? Also, what are your time restraints? Are you looking for a quick 20-30 thing? The type of yoga will be dictated by that. Then decide from there.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #3
Michael E Tancini

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Colon View Post
I think any is better than none. I've only done Bikram once but it was amazing for flexibility (even more so than a non heated yoga) because you are extremely warm. It was also very good for helping with soreness and recovery - again, because of the heat, blood flow and all that goodness.

I've seen video of Graham Holmberg talking highly of yoga and even if he doesn't go to a specific Bikram place, he had heaters set up in his gym. I'm guessin' the same premise.

Personally, I don't know enough of the routine to do yoga on my own and I don't want to pay extra to take yoga classes so I just pop in my P90X Yoga DVD, set it on the floor in my gym on a laptop and make it happen. It works wonders. I am reluctant to start, thinking of the somewhat boring 90 minutes, but I am always amazed once I am done. Especially with overhead/shoulder flexibility.

I have heard of Power Yoga being good but maybe the intensity can be tough for some. If it is too straining for a recovery day then maybe don't do that type of yoga.

In short, all though too late for that, the best advice would be to do a google search. What are you goals? Is it true recovery (there are some yogas that might feel like a workout if you aren't flexible)? Flexibility? A challenge to the stabilizing muscles? Also, what are your time restraints? Are you looking for a quick 20-30 thing? The type of yoga will be dictated by that. Then decide from there.
Thanks for your reply. I train to compete in the games, and in crossfit competitions. I absolutely love crossfit and after walking away from college baseball I treat it as my sport. I guess out of yoga I am looking for something to improve balance, stabilization, and just get an overall better sense of body position. I do have the P90x yoga on my lap top. But I am thinking about a 30 minute routine a few days a week after i wake up. Would The p90x one work if I just split the yoga routine into 3 30 min sections and did it 3 times a week?
Old 10-23-2011, 11:15 AM   #4
Richard Colon

Profile:

I honestly just do the first part of the P90x yoga, 2x a week. You could do it 3x a week. Once he shifts into the "balance" poses and you are done with the 'ashtanga', basically upward/downward dog part - you should be golden. Thats enough flexibility and stability work for me.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:49 AM   #5
Jessica Dell'Aquila

Profile:
Smile Re: best form of yoga to incorporate into my training program?

I have done P90X yoga and a straight ashtanga yoga class, then DVD because I left the area where the class was. P90X is based on ashtanga and it is ok, but it isn't as intense as an ashtanga trained instructor class. Not sure if you can get a DVD for a 30 minute routine, but my instructor recommended Rocket II for DVD and it is pretty intense. I started ashtanga before starting crossfit, after having worked out on my own for 15 years and it not only increased my flexibility and balance... but I was not prepared for how much it would ratchet up my strength. I have done power yoga, but still think Ashtanga is harder. Never have done Bikram, but have heard good things. Expensive, tho. And you do need a lot of heat. Good luck!
Old 11-26-2011, 11:48 PM   #6
Martha Bralkowski

Profile:

Even though I just started Crossfitting in the recent past, before doing so I was an avid yoga fan, and I still remain that way! I feel it's not physically demanding enough to be a primary workout, but it is mentally demanding enough to be a necessary activity. If you have an iPod or iPhone, pocket yoga is worth the download. I think it's about 4 bucks and there are three different "styles" of yoga with 3 levels of workouts and the option of 30 minutes, 45 minutes, and 60 minute workouts. I have found them to be a nice option for on the go, and a great investment for people who are just testing the water with yoga for the first time. I will never stop doing yoga, I feel off beat if I go too long without it, and I think it's a pretty good way to relax after my WODs thus far. Hope this helps!
Old 11-27-2011, 01:02 AM   #7
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

http://www.mobilitywod.com/

That's my opinion.

link wfs