CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-24-2011, 05:32 AM   #1
Tricia Magrini

Profile:
Paleo plus protein powders?

Just curious how many here eat reasonably strict Paleo with a protein supplement? I keep going back and forth about attempting Progenex recovery & more muscle and can't help but think I am being a hypocrite. Interested in hearing any justifications.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:33 AM   #2
Steve Bray

Profile:
Re: Paleo plus protein powders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia Magrini View Post
Just curious how many here eat reasonably strict Paleo with a protein supplement? I keep going back and forth about attempting Progenex recovery & more muscle and can't help but think I am being a hypocrite. Interested in hearing any justifications.
if it is going to help with your goals. and not hurt your health then do it.
|Deadlift 220kgs|Strict press 75kgs|squat 162.5kgs|pullups 67|477 double unders|26rounds cindy| 2:28 Fran|6:08 annie|12 rnd NATE|full snatch 95kg|C+J 110kg|
Old 08-24-2011, 06:18 AM   #3
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia Magrini View Post
If you're like most people who eat "Paleo" you already eat far more protein than you need so protein supplements would be of no benefit except in the sense that they would provide additional calories if you needed them. It should be noted however that if you do need additional calories increasing your carbohydrate intake would be more ergogenic than taking in an even greater excess of protein.

AIS Sports Nutrition Factsheet - Protein. (wfs)
Old 08-24-2011, 06:44 AM   #4
Todd R Bailey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bray View Post
if it is going to help with your goals. and not hurt your health then do it.
^ This.

In my opinion, Paleo should be a framework to help you make good dietary choices, not a historical reenactment and not a religion. If you are getting lots of dietary protein, you may not need a supplement. But you can always give it a try, see how it affects your performance/recovery and take it from there.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:09 AM   #5
John Hoffner

Profile:

I've eaten on a paleo template for some time, and other than time spent in the sandbox wearing lots of tan it was all very clean and strict. This summer I started supplementing regular CF WODs with an olympic weightlifting specific training linear progression program. The increased demand on my system was leaving me taxed. After a month and ahalf I started taking both Progenex More Muscle every morning and Progenex Recovery after every workout.

"Justified" or not, I feel better and recover faster than I did even eating sweet potato, okinawan yam or banana with protein directly after a WOD. Maybe this was the easy way out, but since reading about our evolutionary heritage has shown me that paleolithic humans were probably 'very lazy overeaters' then I'm sure they would have nomnom'ed on shakes too had they had the opportunity.

I'm currently four weeks into the progenex supplementation, and although I'm not swelling up to Jay Cutler proportions I have added about 3-5 lbs to the scale and look/feel harder. Whether it is having effects on my strength is hard to tell, although I am still making gains. (though this is probably due to strictly staying on my coach's programming...)
Old 08-24-2011, 07:30 AM   #6
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd R Bailey View Post
^ This.

In my opinion, Paleo should be a framework to help you make good dietary choices, not a historical reenactment and not a religion.
Could not agree with this more.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:36 AM   #7
Chris Mason

Profile:

I think if you are on a Paleo diet then adding a whey-only protein (the Progenex product), or any supplemental protein isn't going to do much for you UNLESS you use it strictly for timing and ease of use. In other words, drinking a protein shake after training is an easy way to get the protein you need to aid your recovery. With that said, if you simply consume a whey-only protein you are short changing yourself. Whey will powerfully stimulate protein synthesis (new protein formation), but does almost nothing to blunt protein breakdown which is also occurring at an accelerated rate after training. That is why it is of benefit to consume at least a whey and casein blend (just like milk ).
Old 08-24-2011, 11:23 AM   #8
John McCord

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd R Bailey View Post
^ This.

In my opinion, Paleo should be a framework to help you make good dietary choices, not a historical reenactment and not a religion. If you are getting lots of dietary protein, you may not need a supplement. But you can always give it a try, see how it affects your performance/recovery and take it from there.
Best thing I've ever heard said about the Paleo diet.