CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-12-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
Zack Skrip

Profile:
Wrist Pain

Hello All,

I did quite a few searches to try and find the answer but I couldn't get anything. It could be that my search-fu sucks. If so, I apologize.

I was on the "100 Pushups" program for a few weeks and then, during an off day I was doing the front squats WOD with really light weight. My L wrist was a bit tight but I got it into the rack position OK for a while, but then I switched to the California Style front squat which was more comfortable.

When I woke up the next morning my wrist really hurt. That was about 3-4 weeks ago and I still have tenderness almost every day.

It hurts when I rotate my wrist up or down, and it hurts when I push with my hand when my wrist isn't at a direct 90deg angle (so the wrist is only slightly bent, but not like doing a pushup or the bench press). Think getting up from your desk when you put your hands on the edge of the desk and stand, placing only a fraction of your weight on your hands/wrists.

The only advice I found was to take a light dumbbell, stretch my arm out from my body and then rotate the wrist with the dumbbell like a little propeller (I got this from the "Seen at the Globo" thread, where someone was defending that as an exercise for wrist pain).

Yesterday was a heavy (for me, but that's not saying much) barbell day and my wrist felt good afterwards for a few hours.

What should I do to help get my wrist "right" again?

Thanks for any help.

ZS
Old 08-12-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Wrist Pain

Quote:
That was about 3-4 weeks ago and I still have tenderness almost every day.
After 5 or so days you should've gotten this checked out by an orthopedic doc.... you might still want to do this....

Where exactly is the pain located? ulnar side? radial side? Somewhere else? Inside the wrist? Superficial? What type of pain?

Need way more details.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:47 PM   #3
Zack Skrip

Profile:

Great question. Sorry about that.

It is on the top of my wrist (palm down) focused primarily in the center of the wrist. I work with computers almost all day, so it wouldn't surprise me if it pushed me into a carpal tunnel problem or something like that.

Yeah, I just hate going to the doctor. I just kept waiting for it to get better on it's own.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Middle of the wrist could be a bunch of different things dealing with the carpal bones, the articulations of the bones themselves, or something else.

I would get that checked out. It's not the typical ulnar side TFCC type aggravation.

And the fact that it's sticking this long is not good.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
Zack Skrip

Profile:

thanks for that. I'm already scheduled for a physical, so I'll mention it and try to get a referral to an orthopedist.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:37 PM   #6
Michael Kelley

Profile:

A Cyst?
Old 08-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #7
Courtney Barnett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Middle of the wrist could be a bunch of different things dealing with the carpal bones, the articulations of the bones themselves, or something else.

I would get that checked out. It's not the typical ulnar side TFCC type aggravation.

And the fact that it's sticking this long is not good.
What is the TFCC type? My pain is on the ulner side...cant do much weightbearing on it when my shoulders are overtop the wrists (plank/pushup position). If I rotate my wrists out slightly,then the pain is reduced, but still there.

Thoughts?
Old 08-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #8
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kelley View Post
A Cyst?
That was my thought as well. I had a Ganglion Cyst on my left wrist that limited my exercising severely for years before I finally went to the doctor. One simple surgery later and I can do any exercise without wraps whereas before I could hardly even do a pushup the pain was so bad.

Mine was in the middle of my wrist a little to the side of my thumb. Press down on your wrist there and if you have pain from the pressure it could definitely be a cyst.