CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-01-2011, 02:45 PM   #11
Jason Rahm

Profile:
Re: Final games thoughts

At first I thought the softball throw was lame. But after I saw how extremely uncoordinated some of the athletes looked, I think it was a good event.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:46 PM   #12
Matt Thomas

Profile:

There were good things about it. I thought the first event was a good idea. I think they still have a ways to go to make it more spectator friendly. Some of it was just soooooo boreing to watch. Agree with the last event. After so many wall balls and box jumps it's just like....yeah I get it, now who's going to finish first? The sled pull was fun to watch though.

One thing I will say...standards. The movements standards have become GARBAGE and I think that REALLY needs to be fixed. It's one things for form to break down when your going fast and to do some ugly lifts. I think it's another things to ALLOW pushing off the knees with your hands on squats, those retarded bent arm/ sumo pull hybrid kettle bell swings, and bent leg L-sits. It's called an L-sit for a reason. If you're going to bend your legs that's a different movement.

Congrats to Froning and Annie. They are definitely good competitors. Bridges was a nice surprise and hopefully we'll see more of him.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:59 PM   #13
Struan Potter

Profile:

I think it would have been better for 3 different workouts for the last three events, rather than the same workout done interval training style. It would have been a lot more fun to watch.

Overall I liked the programming and the performances from all of the athletes were phenomenal. Rich and Annie are deserved winners.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:11 PM   #14
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

The problem that I had with the softball throw was only this; every single event, no matter where it is positioned in the weekend, has the potential for being the tiebreaker amongst the leaders. I struggle to accept the idea that the difference between first and second place ($250K vs. $50K) could be 1" on a softball throw. I don't struggle with this same idea if it's one pound on a lift or 1" on a sled pull, but a 1" difference on a softball throw doesn't convince me that the furthest throw was from the fitter of the two athletes and thus deserving of an extra $200K.

I admit that the softball throw was kinda entertaining, but I don't think it was a wise choice from a competition standpoint.

- Mark
Old 08-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #15
Ryan Jones

Profile:

I can't believe noone mentioned those retarded watt bikes. That was by far the worst part of the games, it was like everything stopped and a lazy spin class started. If you're going to put people on bikes, put them on real bikes and make them bike through a course. People were joking that next year they'd be on Reebok Ellipticals.

I thought it was cheap the way they wiped out the scores for the team competition going into the last event, and then it was kinda boring to watch considering only one girl out of the 18 there could do dips, which was in the first workout, which means CFNE was the clear winner 3 minutes in (though they killed most of the rest of the workouts too).

Yeah, Miranda seemed at a loss when interviewing people.

I liked the big announcer dude, he was way better than Dave Castro, even if he wasn't perfect.

I liked how the team event finals was 6 classic girl wods. Similarly I liked how the men's final was like a filthy fifty remix. I don't know why people are giving it grief. Though nothing will ever compare to the finals Khalipa won where they had every event timed and staggered the final start based on that and whoever finished first was the overall winner. That was the most entertaining format by far and I hope they do that again some time.

Spealler pushing the sled was awesome.

Barber destroying the sled push was awesome, and allt he more surprising since he was dead last, by a mile, in the 6 minute version.

Spealler getting screwed by his size once again saddens me. I'd like to see him put on 10-20 lbs of muscle this year and finally win this thing next year.

It was an amazing surprise to see Annie S. not only competing but kicking ***. It was also pretty cool to see that the two most ripped girls were the two 35 y.o. mothers of 2 and 3 (the other being the awesome Angie Pye).

Overall the games were awesome, had a great time, even got to meet Coach when he crashed our box and at his prompting complained about the food choices, heh.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:19 PM   #16
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
I admit that the softball throw was kinda entertaining, but I don't think it was a wise choice from a competition standpoint.

- Mark
Well, as it was, it showed that Speal (72') and Khalipa (101') and Chan (129') were significantly less up to the challenge than Froning (229') much less Hendel (258'). That's hardly a foot or two. And Josh Bridges probably got most hosed on the deal since he DNF'd it when it probably could have thrown underhand to beat some guys. At least the rest of the final guys had a decent throw.

If they wanted to minimize the importance of a foot or two they could have done the scoring by ranges, say score according to 100ft-150ft, 150ft-200ft, 200-250ft, etc.

But if every second counts, and every pound counts, I don't see why every inch shouldn't count.

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier : 08-01-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #17
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Haxmeier View Post
But if every second counts, and every pound counts, I don't see why every inch shouldn't count.
Within the bounds of how they defined it, every inch should count. In fact, that (whether an inch should count) really isn't the issue for me.

It might just be a personal thing for me somehow, but I just have a hard time accepting that an inch on a softball throw could/should really be a tiebreaker to determine who is fitter and who gets $200K more.

Stated differently...let's just say that hypothetically they make it through a full Games weekend next year with the top three male athletes all having the same score. On the spot, Castro & Company have to decide how to break the tie. I can't help but wonder what kind of reception they would get to the idea of throwing a softball twice for distance. Personally, I can imagine one huge Whiskey Tango Foxtrot moment among all the athletes and all of the fans. I think it would cause a huge controversy.

- Mark
Old 08-01-2011, 04:17 PM   #18
Jason Rahm

Profile:

Quote:
The problem that I had with the softball throw was only this; every single event, no matter where it is positioned in the weekend, has the potential for being the tiebreaker amongst the leaders...

- Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Haxmeier View Post
Well, as it was, it showed that Speal (72') and Khalipa (101')...
Anyone competing for the title of World's Fittest should be able to out-throw a Special Olympian. Speal & Khalipa...well...can't. If the softball throw would have kept them from the podium so be it.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #19
Steven Low

Profile:

1. Throwing was good. (personally, Javalin would've been better, and the lines should've been as they do discus and shotput going out wider as you get farther).

2. Cycling good; stationary bikes bad. I feel the same amount rowing. Make them row in a pool.

3a. Pool would've probably been better than an open water swim. Sang bag workout in a pool anyone?
3b. Needs more sand bags in general. Liked the sleds.

Carry your canoe to the pool, row yourself across the pool X times, then swim across the pool X times, or something like that. There's so much stuff you can do that is ACTUALLY functional.

4. L-sits with bent legs = horrible; change handstand walk was OK... thought it could be improved by some sort of wheel barrow type thing though.

5. Like the last workout format. Did not like the exercises though & did not like it as the last event -- as stated not very spectator friendly.

6. Personally, I think at least one event should be "open ended" in the context of you have to do this amount of stuff.... but you can do it in any order that you want. Make the athletes think under pressure.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #20
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Within the bounds of how they defined it, every inch should count. In fact, that (whether an inch should count) really isn't the issue for me.

It might just be a personal thing for me somehow, but I just have a hard time accepting that an inch on a softball throw could/should really be a tiebreaker to determine who is fitter and who gets $200K more.

Stated differently...let's just say that hypothetically they make it through a full Games weekend next year with the top three male athletes all having the same score. On the spot, Castro & Company have to decide how to break the tie. I can't help but wonder what kind of reception they would get to the idea of throwing a softball twice for distance. Personally, I can imagine one huge Whiskey Tango Foxtrot moment among all the athletes and all of the fans. I think it would cause a huge controversy.

- Mark
As someone asked earlier, how is 1 inch really any different than 1 second on a for-time event, or 1lb on a lift, or 1 rep on an AMRAP workout? And with most high-placing guys throwing well over 200ft, what are the odds of it coming down to 1 inch between two different competitors? One in a thousand maybe?

Plus then you'd still have to have two competitors who finished +/- 1 point of each other in the overall 10-event total for that 1 inch to make a difference in the overall standings. What are the odds that through 9 events the #1 guy would have 872 points while the #2 guy has 871 points? Again, roughly one in a thousand?

So basically we're getting worked up about the possibilities of two one-in-a-thousand type events happening simultaneously in the same games. And even then, that 1" is just as valid as winning by 1lb or 1" in any other sport that determines winners or losers by distance. I'm not comparing a softball throw to the Olympics here, but you better believe 1" is a valid way to determine medal placings in a shot put or javelin or discus or hammer throw.

I'm pretty sure tiebreaker criteria were in place for the Games seeing how they had to be used in several of the Regionals. IIRC, it was something like whoever had the best low finish would be the winner....i.e. if one guy's worst event was 35th place, he'd win the tiebreaker over a guy whose worst event was 38th place.

Last edited by Eric Montgomery : 08-01-2011 at 04:25 PM.