CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-29-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
Michael O Johnson

Profile:
Alternate to rope climbs

What's up CF Family? I need to know a alternative to Rope Climbs. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-29-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: Alternate to rope climbs

7 Towel or rope pullups, if you can't do those you should just work your regular pullups.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:44 AM   #3
Mark Martinez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
7 Towel or rope pullups, if you can't do those you should just work your regular pullups.
Seven? I thought it was three towel pull-ups per one foot of rope-climb which really sucks.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:55 AM   #4
Neil Kanterman

Profile:

They have new athletes at our box lie next to the rope and pull themselves up using the rope 3 times as a sub for 1 rope climb
Old 07-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Martinez View Post
Seven? I thought it was three towel pull-ups per one foot of rope-climb which really sucks.
I think seven makes better sense. I would imagine if you have a 15' rope, that 15x3=45 towel pullups. 45 towel pullups is much tougher than one rope ascension. Being 5'6", a 15' rope climb turns into a 8-10' rope climb (depending on how far up I reach), plus in the rope climb you can use your legs, towel you can't.

Seven also seems to match what Neil said that 3 ground to stands is about 1 rope climb--although you use your legs in a different fashion there.

Last edited by Robert Fabsik : 07-30-2011 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 07-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #6
Mark Martinez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
I think seven makes better sense. I would imagine if you have a 15' rope, that 15x3=45 towel pullups. 45 towel pullups is much tougher than one rope ascension. Being 5'6", a 15' rope climb turns into a 8-10' rope climb (depending on how far up I reach), plus in the rope climb you can use your legs, towel you can't.

Seven also seems to match what Neil said that 3 ground to stands is about 1 rope climb--although you use your legs in a different fashion there.
Three per foot really does suck; it's what I put up with for two years. I'll say one towel pull-up per foot for accessibility. So, 15 feet equals 15 towel pull-ups. Seven reps just doesn't seem to suck enough.

The thing with the rope climb is it lacks the luxury of putting feet on the ground and giving arms a short break at say the sixth or seventh pull, as compared to towel pull-ups. Think singles or doubles once fatigue starts to set-in. It can't really be done on a rope even when using feet for braking because hands and arms are still clinging for dear life. Rest has to be done before and after an entire rope-climb. Rest can be had at anytime with towel pull-ups.

If memory serves me, the three rep towel pull-up substitute comes from the FAQ. The idea is if an athlete can pull off 45 towel pull-ups ensures 15' rope climbs are within reach. It's akin to the three to four pull-ups/dips prescribed for one ring muscle-up.

In my opinion, the ground stands/rope lowers are more for on-ramp athletes or those who cannot perform a towel pull-up. The towel pull-up sub should be for athletes who lack a rope to climb or those who are fearful of heights.

On a side note, I suck at towel pull-ups(no access to rope at my previous base) and apparently, I suck at rope climbs(I have access here; no excuses) too. I used to think I'd crush WODs with rope-climbs versus having to do a bunch of stupid towel pull-ups given the chance. Amazingly, my WOD times are fairly comparable using both methods.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
Don Fell

Profile:

I did rope pullups and K2E. I cant remember the quantity, but it wasn't excessive. My upper body was (still is) strong than my mid section.

Once you can get your arms to hold you in place, and your legs can reach up and you can hold the rope with your legs... rope climbs will be gravy! (does that make sense? haha).

check out this link... its a WOD at the games this year.
http://games.crossfit.com/finals/live/jumbotron/628099
Old 08-01-2011, 04:04 AM   #8
Elliott Harding

Profile:

Hello All,

New to the site. So if I am following you correctly...on WOD 7/30/11, my first towl pullup equivalent set is going to be 75 reps? The second set 60, third 45, fourth 30 and last 15?

Thank you.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:23 PM   #9
Anson Castelvecchi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
I like these too.