CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-04-2011, 01:21 AM   #991
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: CF Games 2011 General Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Jones View Post
During the team workouts, only CFNE had a girl who could easily do dips and it was over from there
I don't think is quite accurate, but it's not far off. CFNE got off of the rings at around 5:20. Brick Crossfit got off at around 6:45. So, only 1:25 difference.

The definite difference maker was Mel Ockerby's (CFNE's) Fran. Mel finished Fran at 8:00, and it was over. By the time that Brick finished Fran (couldn't see their time on the video), CFNE was already through Isabel (at 10:59) and well into Grace.

- Mark
Old 08-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #992
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
I don't think is quite accurate, but it's not far off. CFNE got off of the rings at around 5:20. Brick Crossfit got off at around 6:45. So, only 1:25 difference.

The definite difference maker was Mel Ockerby's (CFNE's) Fran. Mel finished Fran at 8:00, and it was over. By the time that Brick finished Fran (couldn't see their time on the video), CFNE was already through Isabel (at 10:59) and well into Grace.

- Mark
I guess now that I think of it, saying that it was over because "only CFNE had a girl who could easily do ring dips" is basically right. Handing a 1:25 lead to Mel Ockerby on Fran is pretty much handing the victory to CFNE.

- Mark
Old 08-05-2011, 07:33 PM   #993
Paul Victor French

Profile:

Just saw that behind the scenes thing and it indicates that Mikko wasn't kicked in the head, he was hit with a wave close to the beginning and that's what ruptured his ear drum. That's just what the competitors thought at the time though so maybe it was confirmed later that it was a kick, anyone know for sure?
Old 08-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #994
Justin McCallon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
But what are the chances that doing a lot of work in that time frame would reduce his dominance in the things he's already good at? I'm not asking that sarcastically, I'm just curious if you think it would be possible for him to spend significant training time on hourlong metcons without hurting his strength or hampering his overall recovery.

I'm not suggesting he should get complacent or anything, but if his training was good enough to get him within a few rope climbs of winning last year followed by a dominant win this year, I'd be really hesitant to change anything.
The 60-90 minute training time frame will develop abilities in the 3-200m time frame. It's not negligible, either. 800m runners do the majority of their training in that area. I've posted this here a handful of times, but it basically comes down to the fact that you can only improve your anaerobic stuff so much, and you can improve your aerobic adaptations basically forever. Joshua Bridges is a good example of someone with a clearly dominant aerobic engine to everyone else. He doesn't have the strength of Rich, so he can't quite keep up, but he basically doesn't ever look tired.

Of course he should do enough to maintain his anaerobic adaptations (which shouldn't take much; like 1 metcon a week until the last 2 months), and of course he should still do a lot of strength work. If I were him I would do 2 months aerobic work followed by 2 months strength work (while still doing enough to maintain the other stuff regardless of which cycle).

I mean, yeah, the guy is hands down the #1 guy out there and so it's maybe a little ridiculous to say "he should be doing this." I just think that is the one area he hasn't really developed to an elite level and if he did he would be even more dominant. He'll probably win again next year if he sticks with his current training, though.

Last edited by Justin McCallon : 08-06-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #995
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin McCallon View Post
The 60-90 minute training time frame will develop abilities in the 3-200m time frame. It's not negligible, either. 800m runners do the majority of their training in that area. I've posted this here a handful of times, but it basically comes down to the fact that you can only improve your anaerobic stuff so much, and you can improve your aerobic adaptations basically forever. Joshua Bridges is a good example of someone with a clearly dominant aerobic engine to everyone else. He doesn't have the strength of Rich, so he can't quite keep up, but he basically doesn't ever look tired.

Of course he should do enough to maintain his anaerobic adaptations (which shouldn't take much; like 1 metcon a week until the last 2 months), and of course he should still do a lot of strength work. If I were him I would do 2 months aerobic work followed by 2 months strength work (while still doing enough to maintain the other stuff regardless of which cycle).

I mean, yeah, the guy is hands down the #1 guy out there and so it's maybe a little ridiculous to say "he should be doing this." I just think that is the one area he hasn't really developed to an elite level and if he did he would be even more dominant. He'll probably win again next year if he sticks with his current training, though.
I would agree with that assessment.

I'm not sure up to 90 minutes of aerobic work is needed, but definitely at least 30-60 mins of aerobic work focused at improving cycling, running, swimming, rowing, etc. 60 mins at a decent pace can be nearly 7+ miles which is more than a 10k. Even an elite 1500m/5000m guy like Hicham El Guerrouj's aerobic training never really exceeded 60 minutes per session.

I would go a bit farther and say focus on aerobic adaptations for at least 7-8 months. While doing the minimum amount to maintain metabolic and strength adaptations.

Follow up this up by maintaining the stronger aerobic base, and focusing on improving strength and metabolic work in the final 4-5 months moving into the CF games.

Of course, there are different methods of periodizing things, so depending on the athlete and amount of competitions it's variable.

And working on the technical aspect of performing things such as rope climbs and HSPUs (which he still struggled with this year too).

Last edited by Steven Low : 08-06-2011 at 03:34 PM.