CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-12-2011, 07:30 AM   #1
Megan Starr

Profile:
Should my kipping Pullups help my "strict pullups"?

Does one typ of pull up, help with the other. Or are they too different in what muscles they use?

For example. Before I learned a kipping PU I could do about three "strict". Now that I have learned to kip, I rarely do them any other way. Currently the max kipping PU I have strung together is 20. But I have done about 100 of them over the length of a WOD. When I tried "strict" PU the other day, I could only get about 4 in a row.

WIll cont. to do my kipping PU and making those stronger help my strict PU, or do I need to be making an effort to get in and practice those on their own?
Old 07-12-2011, 07:43 AM   #2
David Z Sachs

Profile:
Re: Should my kipping Pullups help my "strict pullups"?

I've found kipping pull ups to be a poor exercise in increasing strict pull ups, or strength at all. They're mostly programmed for conditioning as opposed to strength gains, and are a poor exercise overall in my opinion. Mostly good for tearing up your hands, and potential shoulder injuries.

There are better weighs to increase your strict pull ups, and better ways to condition in my opinion.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

So, you had THREE dead hangs.

Then, you learned how to kip and can do TWENTY consecutive kipping pullups and ONE HUNDRED total kipping pullups in a WOD.

And, now you have FOUR dead hangs.

Do you really need to ask if kipping pullups help dead hangs?

The question is: Have kipping pullups helped YOUR dead hangs?

The answer is: No.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:07 AM   #4
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Lol, Tamara is funny.

The reality is that they are two completely different movements. You said you can do 100 kipping PU's in a WOD. With your max set of deadhangs being 4, if you tried a WOD with 100 deadhangs in it, you'll quickly realize how different they are.

Strict pull-ups for the win!
Old 07-12-2011, 08:08 AM   #5
John McCord

Profile:

If by Kip you mean full-on fantail swing at the bottom craziness kip, or Bazinet style butterfly kip that helps you go stomach-to bar, then no, it probably won't help.

But a little swing to knock out some extras when you get fatigued couldn't hurt
Old 07-12-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Z Sachs View Post
I've found kipping pull ups to be a poor exercise in increasing strict pull ups, or strength at all. They're mostly programmed for conditioning as opposed to strength gains, and are a poor exercise overall in my opinion. Mostly good for tearing up your hands, and potential shoulder injuries.

There are better weighs to increase your strict pull ups, and better ways to condition in my opinion.
Gymnasts have utilized this exercise for decades, albeit not to the volume Crossfit often prescribes...

There aren't many bad exercises*, just bad implementation.

*Caveat being the niche ridiculous marketing gimmicks like shake weights and thigh masters...
Old 07-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I don't think kipping pullups help deadhangs any more than push presses or push jerks will help your press. Sure, they result in the same end product (barbell taken from shoulder to overhead) but they're a completely different movement. If you want to get better at deadhangs you have to do deadhangs.

I had a similar situation when I first learned muscleups--I learned them kipping from the beginning and pretty quickly got to where I could string 4-5 together or do 30 for time at a reasonably quick pace. But I couldn't do a single strict muscleup til I started working on the strength and skills I needed for them, and that was even with me being able to do 25 or so deadhang pullups and a 100lb weighted pullup.

Kipping pullups aren't a strength movement, they're a conditioning tool, and I'd agree that they're a pretty poor choice for most people especially when they come up in the 100+ numbers. If you want to get stronger you'll keep working deadhangs and eventually move up to weighted deadhangs. Even if you're only holding a 5lb dumbbell between your feet when you start you're still getting stronger.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:16 PM   #8
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

I've had some positive results in my dead hang pullups while doing mostly kipping pullups in training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv9PCEMQw_4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVhasIfPExM

However, I did more than just kipping pullups. I had to put SOME work into dead hang pullups to see improvement there. You probably will too.

Some background: I worked for quite a while on strict pullups (20 reps) and strict muscle-ups (5 reps) before I ever worked on the kipping versions. That said, I've been known to use a pretty big kip from time to time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCVxUN_JwBk
I don't ever do the butterfly kip, personally.

Links are work/family safe.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:39 PM   #9
Michael Dowling

Profile:

that's crazy that you can do 20 kipping pull ups and 100 kipping pull ups in a WOD but only 4 deadhangs. i can do 15-20 deadhangs and not string together two kipping pull ups because i suck...
Old 07-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #10
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
that's crazy that you can do 20 kipping pull ups and 100 kipping pull ups in a WOD but only 4 deadhangs. i can do 15-20 deadhangs and not string together two kipping pull ups because i suck...
Exactly why most would call them two different movements, with "some" carry-over, mainly with grip strength IMO.