CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-07-2012, 06:11 AM   #1
Eric Sock

Profile:
How much?

New to CF with a goal of lean body and fitness. Specifically my goal is to reduce body fat to less than 15% and continuous improvement to completing WODs at Rx and then improving scores.

Currently 41 yr old male, 6'1", 205 lbs, with 25% bf and 1 week grad from on ramp. Doing 4 WODs a week including strength training during two of those classes. Also eating paleo. Haven't done max lifts yet.

Any suggested changes/additions? More strength training?

By the way, this approach is amazing! Team setting along with quick intense workouts are what I've needed to keep me motivated.

Last edited by Eric Sock : 03-07-2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:47 AM   #2
Jennifer Murray

Profile:
Re: How much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Sock View Post
New to CF with a goal of lean body and fitness. Specifically my goal is to reduce body fat to less than 15% and continuous improvement to completing WODs at Rx and then improving scores.

Currently 41 yr old male, 6'1", 205 lbs, with 25% bf and 1 week grad from on ramp. Doing 4 WODs a week including strength training during two of those classes. Also eating paleo. Haven't done max lifts yet.

By the way, this approach is amazing! Team setting along with quick intense workouts are what I've needed to keep me motivated.
Eric: Sounds like you have the correct approach with starting at a reasonable rate. Progress at a moderate rate, getting to Rx. A day of "cardio" may be a good idea as well to add to your regiment of Crossfit. Good luck and keep the momentum going.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:53 AM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Sock View Post

4x per week is definitely enough. If you feel the need to add anything in, do some mobility work even on off days (mobilitywod.com is the best source there) and maybe do some very light Oly skillwork here and there. You can also add in fasted walks pretty much anytime you want, they won't mess with your recovery. Just get about 20-30 minutes of fairly quick paced walking right after waking and before you eat anything, tends to help with fat loss.

Make sure you're eating enough--switching to Paleo typically results in a huge caloric deficit once people cut out crap foods, so if you suddenly cut your intake in half you'll get pretty miserable quickly and stop seeing gains in the gym.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #4
Eric Sock

Profile:

Great! Thanks for the feedback!