CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #21
Marcus Allen

Profile:
Re: Paleo/zone Block 30 day challenge

Lisa- I would recommend just upping the block count. Give it some time before tweaking the macros.

I would also suggest fish oil and vitamin D. But that's me.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:47 PM   #22
Mandie Ekstrom

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Butch View Post
This is all very interesting to read. My gym just started a 60 day Zone/Palo challenge and the CrossFit Journal article our trainer gave us to read said a large woman should eat 13 blocks a day. I am currently 290 pounds, so I figured I should definitely eat the 13 blocks over the 12 or 11 for medium and small women. I figured out what to eat for today for a 13 block day and out of curiosity I put it into a calorie tracking website to see how many calories there were for the day and it was only 1,500 calories. I thought that seemed awfully low for a woman of my size, even though I am trying to lose weight, especially since I do CrossFit 4-5 times a week. Do you guys think I should stick to the meal plan but add some extra fat back in? The fat block sizes are rediculous for some items. 1/4 a teaspoon of sunflower seeds? How do you even measure that? Maybe I will keep the carbs and protein the same and then eat reasonable portions of the fat - ie 1/4 a cup of sunflower seeds instead of 1/4 a teaspoon. Or 1/4 an avocado instead of a tablespoon of avocado? Does that sound reasonable?

It is funny that this is a current topic and exactly what I came here to search on. Definitely prompted me to make my first post. Thanks in advance!
I can tell you you it was not enough blocks or food in general for me. Found myself very hungry and not sleeping well at all.

Right now I am focusing on strict Paleo. Not even the oats I orginally posted. Once I get that down, I am going to focus on the blocks. But I just want to focus on the basics of eating good quality food.

I also bought some Vitamin D and fish oil.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #23
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
Mandie - Just to echo what everyone else here has said, Zone is far too low calories for someone crossfitting. Most crossfitters have to modify zone to 3-5x fat blocks to get by at their activity level. PLEASE read the following testimonial from Nicole Carroll documenting her somewhat painful introduction to Zone: http://www.nextgenerationcrossfit.co...xperience_.pdf (wfs).
The most depressing part of that article is that it's phrased as a pro-Zone testimonial.

Sorry, but if you need to eat 5X fat to avoid starvation, you're well outside any metabolic "Zone."

Anyone who would suggest that 10 blocks per day is sufficient for someone with the workload of an elite Crossfitter has no business giving nutrition advice to anyone.

Katherine
Old 07-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #24
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Butch View Post
This is all very interesting to read. My gym just started a 60 day Zone/Palo challenge and the CrossFit Journal article our trainer gave us to read said a large woman should eat 13 blocks a day. I am currently 290 pounds, so I figured I should definitely eat the 13 blocks over the 12 or 11 for medium and small women. I figured out what to eat for today for a 13 block day and out of curiosity I put it into a calorie tracking website to see how many calories there were for the day and it was only 1,500 calories. I thought that seemed awfully low for a woman of my size, even though I am trying to lose weight, especially since I do CrossFit 4-5 times a week. Do you guys think I should stick to the meal plan but add some extra fat back in? The fat block sizes are rediculous for some items. 1/4 a teaspoon of sunflower seeds? How do you even measure that? Maybe I will keep the carbs and protein the same and then eat reasonable portions of the fat - ie 1/4 a cup of sunflower seeds instead of 1/4 a teaspoon. Or 1/4 an avocado instead of a tablespoon of avocado? Does that sound reasonable?

It is funny that this is a current topic and exactly what I came here to search on. Definitely prompted me to make my first post. Thanks in advance!
You need more than 13 blocks if you're looking for a sustainable way to eat. Whoever suggested you eat that little has no right to be giving out nutritional advice.

Honestly, at 290lbs you'll lose weight simply by working out and eating quality unprocessed foods, with good proteins and fats and vegetables at each meal. Save the weighing and measuring for later, if at all.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #25
Lisa Butch

Profile:

I agree with Katherine, I don't see how she is doing the Zone if she is eating 5x the fat. That automatically discounts the 40/30/30 plan.

I think I am going to try eating whole, natural foods roughly in the Zone proportions but without as much measuring/obsessiveness as the Zone requires and see what happens there. If I don't have any success there I will go back to the Zone and up the blocks.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!