CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-26-2011, 05:31 AM   #1
Latham Fell

Profile:
Evidence that protein slows carb absorption?

I know this is how the Zone is supposed to work, but is there scientific evidence for it?
Old 06-26-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
Luke Seubert

Profile:
Re: Evidence that protein slows carb absorption?

I am not so sure about the notion of protein slowing down the absorption of carbs. This may be the case, but I do not recall reading anything like that. However, I definitely recall reading from a variety of sources that fat, when consumed with carbohydrate, slows down the rate at which carbs are absorbed in the gut.

What protein does do, is elicit a small insulin response and a large glucagon response in the blood. If protein and carbs are properly balanced, this balances out the large insulin response caused by the carbohydrates, leading to balanced hormonal levels and bodyfat loss.

Since you also asked about the science behind the Zone Diet, I included the following:

From Dr. Barry Sears website, a page listing validation studies of the Zone Diet along with comments by Dr. Sears:
http://www.drsears.com/WhatistheZone...3/Default.aspx

From the Journal of the American College of Nutrition, an article critical of the Zone Diet:
The Zone Diet Phenomenon: A Closer Look at the Science behind the Claims
Old 06-26-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
Troy Becker

Profile:

Works to keep my diabetic from spiking up high when I eat any form of carbohydrate, especially the starchier kind. Fat also works.

The explanation is simple- protein and fat take longer to digest in the stomach.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
Dan Bond

Profile:

Im not sure if this is what you're looking for, but the body releases the peptide hormone Cholecystokinin aka CCK in response to fat and protein in your stomach. This slows gastric emptying and thus will make it take longer for carbs to be absorbed. There are a few other hormones involved in this regulation, but CCK is the main one. Here is the wiki link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholecystokinin (WFS)
Old 06-28-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
Michael Gray

Profile:

Carbs (sugars) are absorbed in the system in relation to the glycemic index. Protein balances this, but doesn't really slow it. Balance is good.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:20 PM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Buy a blood sugar meter and a small package of test strips and lancets.

Test your fasting blood sugar to establish a baseline. Then drink one can of Sprite, and test your blood sugar every 10 minutes until it returns to the baseline.

Next, drink another can of Sprite in conjunction with 6 oz of the protein source of your choice. Again, test every 10 minutes until you return to baseline.

Katherine
Old 06-29-2011, 04:52 AM   #7
Lee A Koboroff

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Buy a blood sugar meter and a small package of test strips and lancets.

Test your fasting blood sugar to establish a baseline. Then drink one can of Sprite, and test your blood sugar every 10 minutes until it returns to the baseline.

Next, drink another can of Sprite in conjunction with 6 oz of the protein source of your choice. Again, test every 10 minutes until you return to baseline.

Katherine
I like this and would be interested in the results. Lots of ouchy finger pricking though...
Old 06-29-2011, 06:05 PM   #8
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Koboroff View Post
I like this and would be interested in the results. Lots of ouchy finger pricking though...
You get used to it
Old 06-29-2011, 08:19 PM   #9
Dan Bond

Profile:

A liquid will not be inhibited by gastric emptying since the pyloric sphincter does not constrict enough to inhibit fluid flow into the duodenum... So I doubt you will see a difference. Protein wont cause your blood level to return to normal faster it would most likely keep your blood sugar lower for a longer period of time.

Edit: No matter what does the rate of carb absorption really matter? Once the carbs are in your body they are going to get absorbed anyway it isnt like they pass through (but this is why you're supposed to feel satiated longer with fats/proteins).

Last edited by Dan Bond : 06-29-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:33 PM   #10
Steven Chicoine

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
Works to keep my diabetic from spiking up high when I eat any form of carbohydrate, especially the starchier kind. Fat also works.

The explanation is simple- protein and fat take longer to digest in the stomach.
Does that mean if you split the same calories between carbs and protein it keeps you under better control? Or does that mean if you eat the same amount of carbs and then some extra protein or fat it better keeps your numbers under control?