CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-24-2011, 05:26 AM   #1
Jocelyn Wallace

Profile:
Want to lose weight but I'm gaining?? Help!

Hey all! I just started a “crossfit bootcamp” on Monday (5 days a week) and I have some questions. I’m 21, 5’8”, female and 173ish pounds (down from 228 ). The bootcamp isn’t exactly crossfit, but an all outdoor workout thing where we do mostly bodyweight stuff, and it’s a little bit more cardio heavy. We’ve done things like wall balls, hitting tires with sledge hammers, etc. but not any real lifting. It’s at a crossfit affiliate and I hope to start real crossfit after the bootcamp ends.

After five days I’ve “gained” about 3-5 pounds (from 173). I have to admit, it’s freaking me out. I eat 1460 calories a day, is this enough? The pounds were flying off until starting this bootcamp (I was doing low weight, high rep circuit training crap and a little cardio). Do I need to eat more? Less? Different? Ignore the scale for a while?

I’m also vegan. If I *have* to, I’m willing to compromise on eggs and seafood IF I can find some readily available source of sustainable seafood. (I haven’t purchased meat, well, EVER, I’ve been a vegetarian since age 8 so I have NO idea what’s out there). Dairy/whey doesn’t work with me at all.

My typical day goes like this:

- breakfast: bowl of oats, dried fruit (no added sugars), blueberries, almond milk and a banana (workout after this)
- snack: fruit, usually cherries or some kind of berry
- lunch: big salad with a hemp oil dressing and nuts or something
- dinner: some processed soy/tvp crap (working on cutting this out) and some huge serving of veggies somewhere
- usually a banana with peanut butter or something of that nature
- 1-4 cups of coffee throughout the day
- there’s also black beans thrown in there either at lunch or dinner, most days
- I’ve been drinking a protein shake about an hour after my workout for the past two days (it’s pea, hemp and rice protein… no soy)

ANY suggestions are welcome. I guess I’m not trying to lose “weight” but fat, right? I’d like to lean out somewhat, obviously. Thanks so much!!
Old 06-24-2011, 05:50 AM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: Want to lose weight but I'm gaining?? Help!

Don't lose weight. Lose fat.

Eat better and more.

Throw away the scale.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:52 AM   #3
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocelyn Wallace View Post
Hey all! I just started a “crossfit bootcamp” on Monday (5 days a week) and I have some questions. I’m 21, 5’8”, female and 173ish pounds (down from 228 ). The bootcamp isn’t exactly crossfit, but an all outdoor workout thing where we do mostly bodyweight stuff, and it’s a little bit more cardio heavy. We’ve done things like wall balls, hitting tires with sledge hammers, etc. but not any real lifting. It’s at a crossfit affiliate and I hope to start real crossfit after the bootcamp ends.

After five days I’ve “gained” about 3-5 pounds (from 173). I have to admit, it’s freaking me out. I eat 1460 calories a day, is this enough? The pounds were flying off until starting this bootcamp (I was doing low weight, high rep circuit training crap and a little cardio). Do I need to eat more? Less? Different? Ignore the scale for a while?

I’m also vegan. If I *have* to, I’m willing to compromise on eggs and seafood IF I can find some readily available source of sustainable seafood. (I haven’t purchased meat, well, EVER, I’ve been a vegetarian since age 8 so I have NO idea what’s out there). Dairy/whey doesn’t work with me at all.

My typical day goes like this:

- breakfast: bowl of oats, dried fruit (no added sugars), blueberries, almond milk and a banana (workout after this)
- snack: fruit, usually cherries or some kind of berry
- lunch: big salad with a hemp oil dressing and nuts or something
- dinner: some processed soy/tvp crap (working on cutting this out) and some huge serving of veggies somewhere
- usually a banana with peanut butter or something of that nature
- 1-4 cups of coffee throughout the day
- there’s also black beans thrown in there either at lunch or dinner, most days
- I’ve been drinking a protein shake about an hour after my workout for the past two days (it’s pea, hemp and rice protein… no soy)

ANY suggestions are welcome. I guess I’m not trying to lose “weight” but fat, right? I’d like to lean out somewhat, obviously. Thanks so much!!
3-5 pounds over that short of a time span isn't solid weight. People's water weight fluctuates quite a bit even overnight. I can float 2-3 pounds of weight just over night. Stepping on the scale every day isn't a healthy way to track weight.

I am utterly confused on how you're gaining weight as a vegan.

Good. Soy bad.

My advice: keep at it with the boot camp and don't focus on a number on your scale. Check clothes sizes! Keep working hard.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:55 AM   #4
Renee Lee

Profile:

Congrats on the first 50+lbs of weight loss, that's huge!

Most importantly, you are not eating enough AT ALL. <1500 calories is barely sufficient for somebody inactive, let alone somebody doing high intensity workouts 5 days a week. You're shooting yourself in the foot by stunting your metabolism here. You need to be eating at least 2000, probably more if you're doing 5 days/week.

Can I ask why you've been vegan/vegetarian since you were 8, and why you don't want to change? Honestly, your life will be a whole lot easier if you compromise with eggs at the least. If you're willing to compromise with sustainable fish, I don't understand why you wouldn't be willing to add other meat back in as well? Where's the line?

Eat more, eat eggs, and get 8 hours of sleep. Ignore the scale until the bootcamp is over. REST on the other 2 days a week
Old 06-24-2011, 05:58 AM   #5
Jordan K Smith

Profile:

I'm not sure how you are gaining weight at under 1500 cals a day (could be a miscalculation somewhere?), but I think even the vegetarians out there would suggest more protein with that kind of activity. If you are in fact only eating that much and still gaining weight, your metabolism might be thrown off by all the dieting. Not saying that's what it is, just something to consider.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:02 AM   #6
Gene Pires

Profile:

congrats on starting a very cool sounding program. OUtside. smacking tires. throwing things. sounds perfect.

if the weight isn't just a water weight fluxuation (as mentioned by others) then maybe it is muscle gain! If so, great! Being a heavy muscular person is a good thing. as said before, forget the scale and seek performance. It is doubtful that you are getting fatter with your diet and exercise level of 5 days a week.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:12 AM   #7
Jocelyn Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
Congrats on the first 50+lbs of weight loss, that's huge!

Most importantly, you are not eating enough AT ALL. <1500 calories is barely sufficient for somebody inactive, let alone somebody doing high intensity workouts 5 days a week. You're shooting yourself in the foot by stunting your metabolism here. You need to be eating at least 2000, probably more if you're doing 5 days/week.

Can I ask why you've been vegan/vegetarian since you were 8, and why you don't want to change? Honestly, your life will be a whole lot easier if you compromise with eggs at the least. If you're willing to compromise with sustainable fish, I don't understand why you wouldn't be willing to add other meat back in as well? Where's the line?

Eat more, eat eggs, and get 8 hours of sleep. Ignore the scale until the bootcamp is over. REST on the other 2 days a week
Thank you!

I became vegetarian because, as unbelievable as it might be, I don't like meat. Even as a young child I hated it and only ate it if forced. I became vegan for animal rights reasons but that went out the window in college (I'm an environmental science and policy major, there's a balance somewhere between vegan and what we have going on now that's ideal for the planet). So, the line is just what my taste buds can and cannot enjoy

Should I start eating that much more gradually or just go for it? That sounds like so much food!
Old 06-24-2011, 06:22 AM   #8
Jocelyn Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Swartz View Post
I am utterly confused on how you're gaining weight as a vegan.
I gained LOTS of weight as a vegan. There is a ton of really, really bad vegan foods out there these days.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:23 AM   #9
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

As long as you're eating quality (i.e. Paleoish, non-processed) food, eat to the point where you feel full 3-4 times a day with a snack or two and you should be good. Try to get some more good protein and fat sources in with each meal/snack, so far your intake looks like one carb bomb after another.

Are you willing to consider budging on things like eggs, shrimp, fish, etc.? It'll be hard to get enough good protein if you're limiting yourself to soy and pea/hemp/rice powder.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:36 AM   #10
Jocelyn Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
As long as you're eating quality (i.e. Paleoish, non-processed) food, eat to the point where you feel full 3-4 times a day with a snack or two and you should be good. Try to get some more good protein and fat sources in with each meal/snack, so far your intake looks like one carb bomb after another.

Are you willing to consider budging on things like eggs, shrimp, fish, etc.? It'll be hard to get enough good protein if you're limiting yourself to soy and pea/hemp/rice powder.
Okay, thank you for the help. Guess I'll go ahead and add eggs and seafood.