CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 06-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #1
Bob Sorensen

Profile:
Phiten products, any value?

Does anyone have experience with these? I began using one a couple years ago and I perceived relief of pain from a prior L5/S1 herniation. I was wondering what the feeling generally was about this.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:09 AM   #2
Adam Carlson

Profile:
Re: Phiten products, any value?

I haven't used any products, but phiten is extremely popular over here in Japan. A lot of people have the necklaces, and they are pretty easy to find.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
Michael Dowling

Profile:

i have nothing to back this up but i think any relief you're feeling is just from the placebo affect.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:30 AM   #4
James Rufer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
i have nothing to back this up but i think any relief you're feeling is just from the placebo affect.
my opinion -- if placebo affect works for a person and they feel like they are gaining a positive thing from it, Great!

But no, there is no evidence that Phiten actually does anything.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
Jordan Dolenshek

Profile:

I wear one. I don't believe in any of the hype, but they look pretty cool so I figured why not. Since they are popular in the athletic world, I just use it as a reminder to hit workouts hard and keep my nutrition dialed in.

Also, Rich Froning wears one.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:29 AM   #6
Bob Sorensen

Profile:

Thank you for your input. The prob with "lack of evidence" is that lack of evidence is not evidence of lack, as they say. For the longest time nutrition was all hypoe,, just eat balanced diet etc... I believe accupuncture had the same issue, not to mention the existence of the Western Hemisphere.

I'd appreciate any input from the "elite" the originators and high level trainers and top athletes.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:35 AM   #7
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sorensen View Post
Thank you for your input. The prob with "lack of evidence" is that lack of evidence is not evidence of lack.
in that case i wear a mickey mouse watch that lowers my cholesterol, prove it doesn't. phiten makes a lot of claims, none of which are backed up at all by any sort of peer reviewed studies. i expect a large class action suit to come soon. the elite here won't give an opinion on it unless they're getting paid to endorse it probably.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:24 AM   #8
Jordan Dolenshek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sorensen View Post
Thank you for your input. The prob with "lack of evidence" is that lack of evidence is not evidence of lack, as they say. For the longest time nutrition was all hypoe,, just eat balanced diet etc... I believe accupuncture had the same issue, not to mention the existence of the Western Hemisphere.

I'd appreciate any input from the "elite" the originators and high level trainers and top athletes.
"Phiten products use a proprietary technology to change various metals into ionic states. Through what the company calls the "Phild process," titanium is supposedly turned into "aqua-titanium". The company claims to be able to integrate small amounts[1] of this metal directly into the fabric.[2] The medical and performance-enhancing claims relating to Phiten's products are considered pseudoscience. Fatigue is not caused by an imbalance of ions in the body, and the technology behind the company's products is not approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.[1]"

Let's be real here. What rational person really believes that throwing on a necklace with "titanium particles" will help you perform better or reduce fatigue.

It's a fun product/idea, which may have a great placebo effect/cause people to believe they will perform better with it on, but I really don't think there is or will ever be any real science to back this company.