CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
Joffray Marcantel

Profile:
Programming for my conditioning test

For football, I have a conditioning test in August consisting of:
300 shuttle (50 to 50), 8 times, 90 second rest
Bench 4RM
Seated Row 8RM
Squat 10RM (Leg press was offered as an alternative)

I've been following 5/3/1 Football, but don't know how I should adjust my workouts around these parameters.

I figured for the 300 shuttle, doing 8 intervals at a 60 second (or faster?) pace with 90 seconds rest. Bench, just going the linear route, setting a new 4 or 5 RM every workout (how often to bench?). For the seated row, just figured I'd stick with heavy deadlifts and pullups. Squat, I don't know if sets of 5 will be good still or if I should go to sets of 10 instead.

Thoughts? I'm mainly concerned with frequency, should I basically adopt a modified Starting Strength workout with those lifts?
Old 06-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
Collin Thompson

Profile:
Re: Programming for my conditioning test

If you just start following CFFB and the ASWOD along with adding some extra rowing movements you'll be fine. CFFB hits all of what you're being tested on so rather than you experimenting with your own programming and maybe seeing results you oughta do a tried-and-true program. Whatever you do, make sure you don't over-complicate things. Another option could be to just follow starting strength with bent over rows instead of cleans and add shuttle runs 2 or 3 days a week. Whatever you decide on DO work on your 5 rep max for the squat rather than your 10.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:42 AM   #3
Andrew James

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffray Marcantel View Post
For football, I have a conditioning test in August consisting of:
300 shuttle (50 to 50), 8 times, 90 second rest
Bench 4RM
Seated Row 8RM
Squat 10RM (Leg press was offered as an alternative)

I've been following 5/3/1 Football, but don't know how I should adjust my workouts around these parameters.

I figured for the 300 shuttle, doing 8 intervals at a 60 second (or faster?) pace with 90 seconds rest.
I'd advise you not to run your intervals all out. 80-90% will be better for increasing work capacity.

Quote:
Bench, just going the linear route, setting a new 4 or 5 RM every workout (how often to bench?).
3 times a week.

Quote:
For the seated row, just figured I'd stick with heavy deadlifts and pullups. Squat, I don't know if sets of 5 will be good still or if I should go to sets of 10 instead.
Big mistake. If your test involves ROWING, then you need to ROW. Deadlifts and pullups are probably more applicable to football, but for now, you need to TRAIN FOR THE TEST. Work on both your 5 rep max and 10 rep max for the squat.

Quote:
Thoughts? I'm mainly concerned with frequency, should I basically adopt a modified Starting Strength workout with those lifts?
3 days of liftings and 3 days of work on your intervals is plenty.

Last edited by Andrew James : 06-07-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #4
Joffray Marcantel

Profile:

Andrew,

So just a Squat-Bench-Row (basically a modified SS workout), alternating with the intervals?
Old 06-07-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
David Meverden

Profile:

I think your program would be remiss without deadlifts and pressing, even if they are not directly involved in the test. These lifts will supplement your others and aid your progress. I'd go for 2:1 benchress, then go back to a 1:1 after the test.

I'm surprised nobody has asked you where your lifts are at, but here's what I'm thinking would work well and fit Andrew, and others, requirements. It's mostly a Grayskull lifting program.

Monday:
Bench 2x5, 1x5+
Squat 2x5, 1x5+
Seated Row 2x8, 1x8+
Neck work (neck harness or wrestler neck bridges).

Wednesday:
Press 2x5, 1x5+
Squat 1x10 (try to set a new 10 RM)
Deadlift 1x5+
Chins 3 sets max reps

Friday:
Bench 2x5, 1x5+
Squat 2x5, 1x5+
Seated Row 2x8, 1x8+
Neck work.

Running would be 2-3 times per week in the morning on lifting days (lifting in the afternoon/evening). And let me get this straight. Did you say that you have to run 300 yards EIGHT TIMES for the "agility" test? And there are only 2 turns (end zone one side, end zone other side), right? That is a really dumb test for football since you will almost never have to run more than 100 yards, but whatever. For that distance the agility portion will matter much less than just straight endurance so I'd do a CrossFit endurance interval workout, 400m, 200m intervals, tabata intervals, etc. Sometimes do the actual shuttle they want, but I wouldn't overdose on it (both for boredom sake and actual training sake).

That's my take.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:37 AM   #6
Joffray Marcantel

Profile:

Squat, 270 1RM
Bench, 185 2RM
Deadlift, 305 1RM
Press, 135 1RM

I was actually wondering if something like the S&CP would work, subbing rows for the power clean day. Then do some intervals after that workout and the deadlift workout.

But yes, if I read correctly I will be running 8 300 yard shuttles (goal line to the 50 and back). 90 second rest, 2 minute rest after the 4th. I don't get it either.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #7
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
Squat, 270 1RM
Bench, 185 2RM
Deadlift, 305 1RM
Press, 135 1RM
No reason to reinvent the wheel. Follow CFFB programming. No additions necessary.

The 8 rep row is in odd choice and I wouldn't focus on it. I think CFFB programs Kroc rows and the like. Improving general strength should allow you to do fine in the row.

The idea here is to become a better player. Sure it would be nice to kick the test's arse but rest assure that this test will NOT determine playing time. Thus, do CFFB and nothing else.

Quote:
But yes, if I read correctly I will be running 8 300 yard shuttles (goal line to the 50 and back). 90 second rest, 2 minute rest after the 4th. I don't get it either
You likely read it incorrectly or it was written incorrectly and you are almost certainly doing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO0RyKbEaJs WFS!

The 300 is a common HSFB test. I'm pretty sure that is what you will be doing also.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #8
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
You likely read it incorrectly or it was written incorrectly and you are almost certainly doing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO0RyKbEaJs WFS!

The 300 is a common HSFB test. I'm pretty sure that is what you will be doing also.
That would make more sense. A lot more agility and change of direction involved in that.

So, if THAT is the test, then I think my suggestion would be perfectly fine, except in the mornings 2-3 days a week do either straight sprints, short shuttle runs, or practice the test instead of doing CFE style intervals.

CrossFit Football with the amateur strength routine would also work well, though I'd throw in a little more test specific work (to really maximize those lifting tests you'll need to have practiced).

Keep us posted on what you decide and how it goes!
Old 06-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #9
Joffray Marcantel

Profile:

I asked for clarification on the 300. The coach that posted it said "50 to 50", which doesn't make a whole lot of sense (to me at least).

I want to do CFFB, but I work out in at my old high school which has more leg presses than squat racks, or neck machines than bumper plates, and my closest affiliate is an hour away. So David, I may stick with your suggestion but do my running on say T/Th/S. I'm taking 15 credits worth of summer classes during the evenings that wrap up at the end of the month so my training time is generally limited to the mornings.

Last edited by Joffray Marcantel : 06-07-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #10
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
I asked for clarification on the 300. The coach that posted it said "50 to 50", which doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
"50 to 50" is what I posted.

Quote:
I want to do CFFB, but I work out in at my old high school which has more leg presses than squat racks.
You only need one. And go tell Bill Starr you gotta have bumpers.

Mornings are perfect. Lift, rest, run, feed, rest, class, sleep, repeat. Show up to fall camp a beast. Done!