CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
Christopher Rando

Profile:
Question Question about Paleo

So after reading a couple of weeks about Paleo Diet I am officially lost if I should even attempt doing it.(lol) Because I currently am 5'11 and at 170lbs, and I crossfit regularly and do some isometric workouts as well, and I eat constantly to keep my weight and energy up. I pretty much have oat meal, fruit, veggies(frozen), eggs, chicken all the time, greek yogurt, weigh proten shakes with milk, turkey lunch meat, bread, and occasionally pasta. I also snack on nuts once and awhile. I just think if I cut out milk, bread, and yogurt I'd lose a lot of weight and not to mention just have nothing to eat lol. So after a lot of rambling I suppose my question is, is it really worth it?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
Christopher Rando

Profile:
Re: Question about Paleo

I should also mention that I am not looking to lose weight at all, just continue to gain muscle and not fat. So I have been eating my weight in protein!
Old 06-02-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Paleo is not an all or nothing thing, you'll see plenty of benefits just by cutting out added sugars and processed foods. People with autoimmune issues may see benefits by ditching dairy, grains, legumes, and other non-Paleo stuff, but the only way to determine if that applies to you is to give it a shot for awhile then reintroduce stuff and see what happens. If you figure out that you need whey and oatmeal and peanut butter to fit your goals, go for it. Just don't eat that stuff as a replacement for meat, eggs, vegetables, and good fats, eat it in addition to all those foods.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
Christopher Rando

Profile:

What foods are considered "good fats" ?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:22 PM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Olive oil, avocados, coconut oil, coconut milk, fat in grassfed/pastured meats, macadamia nuts, other nuts in limited quantities.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #6
Christopher Rando

Profile:

Also does fresh veggies v.s. frozen veggies really matter? (obviously fresh is always better) but nutritional wise
Old 06-02-2011, 08:34 PM   #7
Michael E Tancini

Profile:

I never had any reason to lose weight. I always ate healthy but when I looked into paleo It was just to refine my diet. I ate similar to you, I am italian so bread,pasta, and pizza run through my blood. I didnt live off of this stuff but it was definitely a weekly treat in my diet. Since going paleo I dropped a little weight bc I didnt understand how to eat paleo. Once i figured it out I am now back at my normal weight but with less body fat and more muscle. I am about 6-7% bf right now. I still have the occasional treat of pasta, pizza, ice cream, or milkshake but for the most part i am 98% paleo. I enjoy eating paleo. I eat great food and I feel great. Like i said i never needed to diet. I have always had a athletic build and have always been naturally this way. I could pretty much eat anything and not gain weight. But eating paleo has really made me feel great. It has also made me feel great in the box and it has helped my recovery as well. I am 6 foot 1 and sit around 185 lbs.

I take supplements as well

With breakfast: Fish oil, GNC Mega Men Sport Multivitamin
Pre workout: Gold Standard 100% Whey protein
Post Workout: Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein, GNC Creatine Monohydrate, GNC L-Glutamine
Before Bed: GNC L-Arginine, Gold Standard 100% Casein protein

But to answer your question, I think you should. If you have no problem cooking for yourself then I would give it a try.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #8
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Rando View Post
I should also mention that I am not looking to lose weight at all, just continue to gain muscle and not fat. So I have been eating my weight in protein!

Did you really eat 170lbs of meat? (Insert sarcasm).

Quote:
Also does fresh veggies v.s. frozen veggies really matter? (obviously fresh is always better) but nutritional wise
No, it doesn't.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:03 PM   #9
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Not really. Fresh from your garden wins every time. But fresh on the other side of the world a week ago vs. frozen near the field at harvest time is not so clear cut.

Katherine
Old 06-03-2011, 08:21 AM   #10
Valarie Wright

Profile:

Quote:
Fresh is best in my book.

Buy fresh in season .. local farmers markets are good for whats in season and are generally less expensive than the grocery store.

When not in season, frozen is the next best thing.

Produce is frozen at its nutritional height, so frozen foods are very healthy (more so than canned, for example). With that said, do not boil frozen veggies (unless you like non-descript mush); steam or microwave for best results.