CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-31-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
Manuel Venegas

Profile:
Squats after Hernia Surgery

Hi all! I had surgery to repair an inguinal hernia about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I've been hearing things about not doing squats any more after a hernia and wanted to know if this was true. Anyone have experience with this type of injury? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Re: Squats after Hernia Surgery

Hi Manuel,

I had inguinal hernia surgery (no mesh) in the summer of 2001 (yes, this type of hernia does happen to women too....about 3% of this surgery type is women).

Take it easy for a while. Ride a bicycle for exercise as well as walking. I could barely walk around the block because I could not stand up straight after the surgery, but I could bicycle like mad because I was leaned forward and it put zero stress on the surgery area. (I was biking easy miles the the day after surgery). Do hard bike sprints after a couple weeks if you think your legs are wasting away....those things will torch your legs big time and I don't see many sprint racers with sticks for legs around here. Most have really big muscular legs!

I was back to squatting and deadlifting heavy three months after the surgery with the surgeon's blessing. A year later I was squatting double bodyweight for singles again with no problem. This past year I was squatting 265 for reps weighing 115# and deadlifting triple bodyweight.

You likely can recover and lift heavy again, but you MUST allow yourself to heal first (I'm no doctor so check with them or a sports med doc). If it takes a year, give yourself the year. It sure beats being sidelined for longer.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:39 PM   #3
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

Hey Manuel,

I had an inguinal hernia repair (with mesh) done about 15 months ago. Like Kelly said, give it time to heal. I had a pretty large hernia, so I suspect that my healing took a bit longer than it would for many, but I took it pretty slow for a couple of weeks. I can't remember the exact timeline of it, but I know that within a month I was back to playing basketball and being active and within 2ish months I was back to lifting, but not lifting heavy. I had to ease into it quite a bit, and I chose to be pretty cautious for fear of screwing things up and needing another surgery. By three months (that's a guesstimate), I was back to normal-ish and lifting with no great concern.

Today I'm squatting as heavy as I did before the hernia/surgery, and I'm still progressing with no problems to note, so I wouldn't worry about being permanently disadvantaged or unable to squat or do any lifts.

But again, take it easy--you have the rest of your lift to squat, so don't rush it and cause further injury.

Happy healing!
Old 06-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
Kevin Bean

Profile:

Sign me up for another success story.

I had open surgery to repair my inguinal hernia. I was doing light jogging by week two. I was told I could go back to lifting at week 4 but waited 6 weeks before lifting "heavy." Now I'm in the 400s for deads and 300s for squats.

As a note, for the first year + there would be random days of pain from the area where the hernia was, ESPECIALLY for the first few months and everytime you lift heavy. This will minimize if not fully go away, I promise you.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
Michael Dowling

Profile:

i don't want to hijack but this thread has me a bit concerned, how do you get a hernia? is it just random or is there something i can do to prevent it? thanks!
Old 06-07-2011, 11:02 PM   #6
Manuel Venegas

Profile:

Thanks all for the advice! It's all very encouraging and helpful.

@Michael: I'm not sure how I got ther hernia but I would think it was partially due to my job as a busser at a restaurant while I was in college a year or two before. The doctor had said I had it for a while and admittedly I had waited WAY too long between my last physical and the one where the hernia was found. Get those regular checkups and physicals and make sure that you do your best to lift with good form. That's all I can really tell you.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:28 PM   #7
Kevin Bean

Profile:

Once you start deadlifting over 200lbs your risk growns exponetially.

Just Kidding.

My understanding of Inguinal Hernias is that those of us who have had them were going to get them no matter what due to a weakness formed at birth in the inguinal canal. Had I spent my life not moving weights maybe it would have never reared its ugly head but that's no fun.

From webmd
Quote:
Most inguinal hernias happen because an opening in the muscle wall does not close as it should before birth. That leaves a weak area in the belly muscle. Pressure on that area can cause tissue to push through and bulge out. A hernia can occur soon after birth or much later in life.
It's important to understand that an inguinal hernia is not an abdominal hernia.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #8
Clark Petri

Profile:

I go in Sep 2nd for a inguinal hernia repair (with mesh). I didn't feel mine when it happened but when showering I looked down and had a "wtf is that?" moment. The day it happened our box WOD had running/rowing/lunges/burpees. No heavy lifting that day and it still happened.

I'm happy to read that I can go back to heavy lifting once fully healed. I'm certainly no monster but the Oly side of CrossFit is typically my favorite stuff.