CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 05-26-2011, 09:45 AM   #1
Valarie Wright

Profile:
Wild Yogini

40 years Yoga, teach 20+ hours a week in my own studio.

Have been a Vegetarian for over 30 years, Live Vegan for the last year. Started to notice indentations on the tongue's edges (usually suggesting malabsorption of nutrients); as an Ayurveda Lifestyle Consultant, this concerned me.

Been researching the Paleolithic Diet for a few years; recently, looking into the physicality that matches it. This is what led me to CrossFit.

Decided to try Paleo on 16 May. No transitional problems; but certainly appreciated not feeling hungry all the time.

CrossFit Baseline on 23 May (Monday) at CrossFit Iconz:

500 m Row
40 Squats
30 Sit Ups
20 Push Ups
10 Pull Ups
= 7:48

Im 52 and aside from Yoga, run 10-15 miles a week with my running buddy Lilka (dog). I dont have a comparative number for that time, so based it like all other activity, which amounts to: 'It feels good, so it is good!'

Ive always been a very physical individual - Yoga, martial arts, spear and bow hunting, hiking/camping, mountain biking, ex-Army (300 club) - so CrossFit felt 'right' from the start.

Foundation basics on 25 May (Wednesday). Joined in the Group Drill, then had the basics explained and observed:

Air Squat
Front Squat
Press (Overhead)
Deadlift
Kettleball Swing

Then did 3 Rounds of:
20 Squats
15 Presses
10 Push Ups
10 Deadlifts
= 7:40

Later that day, could feel the Press in the inner bicep, and the Deadlift in the quads.

26 May .. woke up sore, so did some gentle Yoga then went for a 2.11 mile run (very slow, 11min mile). Lol .. now Im more sore!

The day I started eating Paleo I weighed 125. Today, first in the AM, I weighed 129. I know I am enjoying the sopressata and blueberries too much! That and am realizing how much I enjoy eating meat.

I use Fitday to watch what I eat, am and not exceeding 1100 calories in a single day, so need to watch the fat (which is now 35-50% of my calories, according to Fitday).

Eitherway, Im not overly concerned with weight right now, having a fast metabolism and an active lifestyle. I think my greatest challenge with weight is beer. Gotta work on that.

As to diet, Im mixing Paleo with Live Vegan, which means loads of raw fruits and veggies, with some lightly steamed veggies, and cooked meat. So far, so good.

Day 3 CrossFit tomorrow.

Finally, I felt so motivated, I started a Yoga Crossfit blog.

Live Deliberately!
Old 05-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
Spencer James

Profile:
Re: Wild Yogini

Can I just say... 1100 calories + CrossFit = recipe for burnout? I know you're not soliciting advice, but seriously, 1100 calories is probably less than half of what you need.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:51 AM   #3
Valarie Wright

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer James View Post
Can I just say... 1100 calories + CrossFit = recipe for burnout? I know you're not soliciting advice, but seriously, 1100 calories is probably less than half of what you need.
Thank you for the input Spencer! I sincerely appreciate it.

I am very new to this, and the 1100k reflects my pre-Crossfit diet. In the forum, Ive been paying attention to the 'nutrition' section. Its a work in progress .. a true learning curve.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:58 AM   #4
Valarie Wright

Profile:
Wild Yogini - Friday, 27 May

Friday morning: Matt, my trainer this morning, suggested I warm up by jumping rope .. not something Ive done since I was a kid. He said 50, but I kept going until he asked ‘how many’; I was at 92 when I stopped.

He then had me do 2 Rounds of:

20 Push Ups

Bear Crawls

Squat Stretch

Ive got the squat down .. being a Yogini. I showed Matt a squat were I extend one leg forward and balance. He asked if I could do 1-Legged Squats, I cant, but told him I always wanted to .. ever since seeing Jackie Chan do them in a movie. So, using the rings for balance, I did 6 per leg. Lol .. all I could do!

We then went over the Foundation basics; namely, the Front Squat, Push Press and Sumo Deadlift Hip Press. I really liked the latter .. great upper ab work there!

I alternated bars – 25lbs and 45lbs – and took my time, not realizing I was on the clock .. gotta get used to that.

I finished the Foundation with a 400 meter Row .. for a total time of 14 minutes.

In all, my primary focus was on form. Im not a weight lifter, but do loads of squats and lunges in Yoga, so learning the mechanics was where I put all my attention. There and figuring which breath where. Matt suggested inhaling on contractions. There is no Yoga without concentrated breathing – pranayama – so I was very diligent in the coordination of the lifts and squats in conjunction with the breath.

Afterwards, we started discussing nutrition when he mentioned a study he had read about chocolate milk. I googled it when I got home and found this: Chocolate Milk Refuels Muscles After Workout – Study Shows Carbohydrates and Protein in Chocolate Milk Help Muscles Recover From Exercise

I like the chocolate part because I add a tablespoon to my pre-workout smoothie (raw cacao), which is 2 bananas and 1 cup of berries (black- or blue-).

Before leaving, I finished up with some more jump rope .. literally trying to refamiliarize myself with that rhythm. Tried a few of the double jumps, but it wasnt happening. From the lifts to the rope, my mantra was Accuracy Before Speed.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:05 AM   #5
Valarie Wright

Profile:
Wild Yogini - Memorial Day and Week Two

Matt, my trainer at CrossFit Iconz, asked if I would be back on Friday the 28. I mentioned where I read on crossfit.com that a day of rest between workouts was recommended; plus I told him I wasn’t sure how I would feel the next day, so thought it best to ‘relax and recuperate’ over the weekend (Memorial Day weekend), then resume Monday.

My definition of ‘rest’ does not always mean ‘doing nothing’, as some so enjoy.

28 May, Saturday (the day after all the Push-ups, Bear Crawls and Squat Stretches, I woke up feeling energized.

As a Live Vegan I always started my day with lime and coconut water. It has a very cleansing effect on the digestive system; gently awakening the salivary glands (the first digestive acids), it flushes debris from the esophagus, where it activates the stomach’s primary function. The lime and coconut are tangy and sweet, even working to clear my head from sleep, so I never need caffeine. Then, it affords me an opportunity to dance in the kitchen

After checking email, I sliced some Boar’s Head dry Italian sausage and put it in a container with two cut apricots and 2 cut peaches. I then grabbed some dog treats and Lilka’s water bowl, added water to the camel back, and tossed my 24hr BOB into the car and headed for Fort Yargo where my friends had reserved a yurt for the weekend.

I ran 4 miles in 44 minutes.

Lilka and I ate our treats after the run, and about two hours later, ate the Paleo Pork Shepherd’s Pie that I created and brought with. I really outdid myself on the recipe! Everyone really enjoyed it.

I then spent the day drinking enough beer to counter the great run; but then, Ive noticed that after a run, I can drink crazy amounts of beer. Not sure why this is, so need to remember to research that subject (unless anyone reading this has an idea).

29 May, Sunday, part of the brain reminded me that I needed to have “one day of rest” from the CrossFit, and usually, Sunday is my one resting day from Yoga (I teach six days a week). But life is too short and I like to play, so I pulled down the ride-on-top, loaded it into the truck, and headed to Fort Yargo again. By 7am my friend and I were on the water (he in a canoe).

We finished off the Shepherd’s Pie for lunch, and my friend grilled a 3lb filet of salmon, which I ate plenty of, with a half a bag of cherry’s. Topped with, again, too much beer. But hey, that Newcastle goes down so smooth.

30 May, Monday, CrossFit Iconz’s first class was 10am. I was there. It was the last day of the Foundation basics for me.

Matt had me do the Group Warm-Up:

50 Jumping Jacks

50 Double Unders

15 GHD Sit Ups

15 GHD Back Extensions

The biggest challenge I have right now is timing the DUs, so I did closer to 150, with only a few isolated double jumps.

After this Matt showed me how to do the Overhead Squats, the Medicine Ball Crunch and the Push Jerk. These multi-movement sets are new to me, so the movement feels ‘off’; meaning, I cant quite get the feel for them.

But, its as I tell my Yoga students – both new to the practice and experienced – “Be patient, take your time, find your breath”. And so I keep that in mind working with the heavy bar (I think it weighs 20lbs, no added weight); rooting my attention and intention on the movement and coordinating it with the breath .. serene in the Yoga – the “union” – of body, mind, breath and fluid movement. Not in a hurry, for there is only the Now.

My timed workout then was 3 Rounds of:

250 meter Rows

15 Overhead Squats

15 Medicine Ball Crunches

15 Push Jerks

The final time was 18:23.

The ‘double dips’ in the movements really threw me, so were good opportunities to set my mind at steady. But it was the breathing, after the Rows, that was the greatest challenge – just slowing it down enough to focus on the weighted movements.

When finished, after catching my breath, I felt totally revved up, so did the Group Warm-Up again (but only about 30 of the Jump Ropes, with only a few Double Unders). Then, because it felt ‘right’, I did some dips on the side of a step-up box (25 total); and hung suspended on the GHD (I do Wheel Poses [backbends] in Yoga, so this feels great).

Overall, what I have noticed (and I have noticed in the past after a strenuous workout) is the hunger level. I track what I eat on FitDay.com, and from its estimate (because that’s all it is), I am still only eating about 1100 calories (though Saturday the 27 was 1550), and not sure if I should feel concerned by this because I focus on optimum nutrition – which means I don’t eat junk. Plus, I feel really good – physically, mentally and spiritually – so am likewise unconcerned.

Its all a learning curve ..

31 May, Tuesday (this morning), there is a sore spot between the shoulder blades. I don’t think this is from boating on Saturday because – knowing this body – I would have felt that on Sunday or Monday. So am attributing it to the 3 Rounds I did on Monday. Its directly between the blades, which is an area often stretched in Yoga, so I have been moving it all morning.

Now to figure out what todo on ‘light days’, or those days I don’t goto the gym (which right now is Monday, Wednesday and Friday). Matt suggested doing the WOD from the CrossFit site.

Live Deliberately!

Yogini Valarie Devi
Old 06-02-2011, 04:19 PM   #6
Valarie Wright

Profile:
Week Two, 1 June, Wednesday

Wednesday, 1 June, my first day to join the regular group routine. Evenso, as Keefa told me I was finished with the Foundation basics, I thought, “Every day will be a foundation day.” Which is what I remind my students in Yoga of, that “Some days are diamond and some days are stone”, all the more reason to “take it back to basics.”

We started with a 400 meter Run, then did:
15 Wall Squats
30 Butterfly Situps, and
15 Supermans

This was easy, because I teach my Yoga students Wall Squats and Supermans. In the Yoga Wall Squat, the feet/knees are together and you begin 1 foots distance from the wall (your foot distance). The fingertips rest on the outer thigh, and on the exhale, you squat, tracing a line down the leg until the fingers touch the earth. Inhaling, you return to standing. And the Supermans, we don’t move, just lift and hold for 9-12 breaths (about 2 minutes).

Keefa then explained the routine: 20 minutes of AMRAP. This was my first ever AMRAP, and can honestly say, I was ready to give up after the third round; which were:
15 Weighted Walking Lunges, 25#
30 second L-Sit Hold
15 Wallball 20#/16#

Keefa (the head coach and owner) demonstrated all the moves. On the lunges, she explained how the weight could either be overhead or held at the waist/hips. Likewise, the L-Sit could be either straight legs or bent knees, or 30 jumps (if need be).

I did the 25# overhead on every set of the Weighted Walking Lunges.

I was able to hold the L-Sit for the first two round, but I think the longest hold was 7-10 seconds. By the third set I was hold the knees up for 5-7 seconds; by the fourth set, the hold was reduced to 3-5 seconds; and by the last set, I couldn’t hold any longer so jumped the last 15 or so. Which is not as easy as it sounds, because it really revved up the cardio.

On the Wallball I was given the 8# and 12# option; I chose the latter.

I finished the 20 minutes at 5 Sets plus 10 Weight Walking Lunges.

I sat and rested with everyone else, but felt the need to stretch out the muscles, so did a Wide-A Sit (legs spread wide, chest on the earth), and Hero’s Seat (knees bent, feet on outsides of hips, lay on back).

In all, it was a solid physical challenge, and throughout, I felt very calm. As a Yogini Im not used to gasping for breath, so am mindful when the chest is heaving, and so do my best to breath deep and slow.

Doing the reps with others was interesting because on one level I felt motivated to compete with them (not against them). Or to view their physical effort as a benchmark for what I should be striving for. Yoga is non-competitive, and after 40 years of practice, second nature; so this was more a observation of what and how others were doing. But then, these thoughts didn’t last longer than the first rep, after that, it was all internal focus. I could hear Keefa calling out encouragement, but other than that, was wholly engaged in breathing, which brought me back to form, which then returned me to breathing. So my only goal was: Breath, Proper Form, Don’t Stop.

My classes are Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning, which are my busy Yoga days, where I have four classes.

I make a banana, berry and raw cacao shake in the morning, drinking half before I leave the house, and the remainder as I drive back. I then have a 7:15 Kundalini Yoga class. Afterwards, I eat a piece of fruit, because there is then a 9am Gentle Yoga class. So breakfast happens around 10:30am.

On this day, for the other two classes (at 5pm and 7pm), I noticed I had a slight tremor in my hands, and that I was increasingly more sore as the day progressed.

By Thursday morning, I was stiff getting out of bed. These are light Yoga days, so good for recovery from CrossFit.

Generally, Ill take a catnap in the afternoon, but since CrossFit, Ive been sleeping. First, after breakfast, for at least an hour, then again in the afternoon, again for an hour, but it has been upwards of 1.5 hours.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #7
Jim Colby

Profile:

Welcome to the board! You should check out our "Over 50 Crossfitters Sign In" thread. There are quite a few of us out there!
Old 06-03-2011, 04:40 AM   #8
Valarie Wright

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Colby View Post
Welcome to the board! You should check out our "Over 50 Crossfitters Sign In" thread. There are quite a few of us out there!
Thank you for dropping by Jim!

I did see the 'Over 50' subline, but havent been over there yet. Ill check it out! Thanks!
Old 06-03-2011, 05:18 AM   #9
Valarie Wright

Profile:
Week Two, 3 June, Friday

Still crazy sore this morning. Posted a Q to the 'Starters' page on whether or not I should still do CF. Got two good answers (from Pearse and Scott .. thanks guys!).

As I was mulling over whether or not I should go, I thought about how my Yoga students tell me they are sore from the day before, and how I tell them, "Glad you decided to come, because it helps to work it out."

So off I went to 'work it out'.

This morning's Warm-Up:
-75 DU (which means I did closer to 250; havent found that rhythm yet);
-15 PU (did 10 full body, 5 on the knees);
-15 Squats (this was where I 'worked it out');
-2x30sec Squat Stretch (easy; I did Figure 8s, then alternated between wide squats and closed knee squats [feet flat] .. its a Yoga thing);
-DROM (I did Yoga: Wide-A Forward Bend [chest on floor]; Natarajasana; and Wheel).

Then, the WOD:
-1 mile run with 25# sandbag,
--at the 1/2 mile mark, 25 Squats (w/sandbag),
--then at the end, another 25 Squats (w/sandbag).

Finishing time: 16:40.

The best time (a guy) was 13:08, the slowest 20:02, so that puts me better than middle. When I jog/run (Im a trail runner), I average 9 min miles with a 10-13lb pack, so the weight here was much heavier than I am used to. Also, I detest running on asphalt. Or, as I often say, "Im 52 and can still run because I run on the earth, not the hardtop."

I started in a jog, but that soon became a lope (or a slow, easy stride). My primary focus was on the breath - that Yoga thing again. In fact, at one point, listening to my breath, being aware of my bodies reaction to the breath in conjunction with the weight, in the dark, running along a busy road (on the sidewalk), I thought, 'Its just me and the breath .. my running companion'. Which is similar to when I am in the woods.

Ill see as the weekend progresses how that weight will affect my back. As I was running, I was aware of the trapezius and gastrocnemius; but now, its the traps, hamstrings and medial delt.

Lol .. no doubt Ill be sore this afternoon, and moreso tomorrow. But, I have two days to rest (after three Yoga classes today, and 2 tomorrow), so will be mindful of resting and appreciative towards the body's needs.

In all .. I enjoyed it, and it brought back Army memories, when I was in the 300 Club .. doing crazy PT.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #10
Valarie Wright

Profile:
Naps

Ok .. everyday that I have done CF (six total), I have come home and napped.

So around 10am, Im back in bed for about 45mins, then around 2-3pm, Im down for about an hour to 90mins.

This is not typical for me, but Im keen on what the body needs, so when it says 'sleep' .. I do my best to comply.

Except today.

Wide awake here .. no nap this morning and none in sight this afternoon.

Things that make me go 'Hmmm' ..