CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:33 AM   #11
Tommy Alfinito

Profile:
Re: MindBody or Zenplanner??

I went with Zenplanner because of how easy it is to use. I have never used mindbody, but I would say to stay away from Rock Gym Pro.

Rock Gym Pro itself is a good program, but you should be fairly good with computers. I know I ran into a few problems that I definitely caused with entering information because I am not great with computers, but the real reason to stay away from rock gym pro is the processor they've teamed up with. The company is called accelerated payments, but the bill comes under a different name and the credit card statement has a third different one. When I was setting up they were very nice and helped with everything and answered all my calls. The second they had me signed up, they stopped returning any of my calls. I called about a minimum 15 dollar fee they throw on every month (even though they brag about only charging 10 dollars in flat fees). I never got a return call and called them back a few times for the same reason and for other questions. Finally after 2 months of no return calls, I called to see about dropping them because I couldn't even get a return call. I finally got a call back and it turns out I got put into a 3 year deal with them (which was never mentioned). It's a lesson learned for me to have someone look over even the simplest contracts now, but this company is the definition of shady. I would have had to pay a lump sum to get out, one that was bigger then the minimum fees all added up over the years, which makes no sense, so I am stuck with them even though they are completely awful.

I ended up going with Zenplanner and Capital Payments, and both have worked great for me. The system pretty much self automates itself, which has made collecting payments easier then ever.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:43 AM   #12
Chris Cooper

Profile:

Just had another great experience with MBO. I was led there after reading Nicki Violetti's blog years ago, and they continue to impress. Just had a very complex ACH/autodebit issue solved in about 30 seconds, through online chat. Very convenient. Well worth the monthly fee (we run 2 facilities without a receptionist, including 5 trainers, CrossFit, a RMT, and gym memberships.) I'm convinced that the system more than pays for itself, because I can link right from our online marketing efforts to our billing system, and people can sign up and pay with just a few clicks. We also use it for some local events to offer online registration, and users are given a chance to sign up for our newsletter. Most do. By offering to collect registrations for events run by others, it helps them out, and we've gained about 1,000 newsletter readers in the last 2 months (MBO integrates with Constant Contact.)
Old 06-01-2011, 07:53 AM   #13
Chris Walls

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cooper View Post
Just had another great experience with MBO. I was led there after reading Nicki Violetti's blog years ago, and they continue to impress. Just had a very complex ACH/autodebit issue solved in about 30 seconds, through online chat. Very convenient. Well worth the monthly fee (we run 2 facilities without a receptionist, including 5 trainers, CrossFit, a RMT, and gym memberships.) I'm convinced that the system more than pays for itself, because I can link right from our online marketing efforts to our billing system, and people can sign up and pay with just a few clicks. We also use it for some local events to offer online registration, and users are given a chance to sign up for our newsletter. Most do. By offering to collect registrations for events run by others, it helps them out, and we've gained about 1,000 newsletter readers in the last 2 months (MBO integrates with Constant Contact.)
Zenplanner also does all of these things, just saying. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here, like any tool you use, it depends on who's using it. Some will like ZP better than MBO and vice versa. I went with ZP first because it was free to setup and that was a huge plus for me at the time. Ben and Filipina were so awesome I had no reason to leave as it did everything I needed.

MBO came on a bit strong phoning me all the time trying to get me to sign up which was a bit of a turn off, but had I gone with them first I bet I would have been just as happy.

YMMV.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:27 AM   #14
Chris Cooper

Profile:

I agree - please take into consideration that I haven't used zenplanner.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:07 AM   #15
Darren Ellis

Profile:

So can someone answer a question I'm unsure of please?

With online payments in MB and ZP, are people doing this via credit cards, bank accounts or both? We currently do bank accounts, but there seemed to be issues getting people signed up that way without an actual piece of signed paper.

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2011, 04:05 AM   #16
Chris Cooper

Profile:

We do both on pre-authorized accounts or stored card numbers. Basically, you just need a VOIDed cheque (in North America, anyway.)
Old 06-14-2011, 07:36 AM   #17
Chris Walls

Profile:

I had to send a copy of my contract/agreement to my merchant services people to see if it was sufficient. Setting up automatic payments via credit card or bank transfer required a signed agreement giving me permission to do so.

The void cheque is nice as it has all of the account information you need to set it up.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:48 PM   #18
Andrew Crowe

Profile:

Not sure if anyone is still subscribed to this threat but...

... with the costing for MBO, is it as simple as a $45 a month charge to run? Has anyone found any 'hidden costs' or setup/ongoing fees you were surprised about?

Thanks, Andrew
Old 02-16-2012, 06:07 AM   #19
Jennifer Abreut

Profile:

I have been using MindBody for about 6 months. The customer service is great and you get 3-4 one on one phone conversations during your initial set-up. I feel like I am pretty good with technology, but MindBody is very frustrating. The user interface is not simple and you must use their merchant account for monthly drafts and credit card transactions. We already use Gulf Management Systems for our drafts and credit card transactions. We would have to transfer all of our members over to Mindbody....big headache. If you choose not to use their merchant account, every class you schedule you have to go in and change it to allow clients to sign up as unpaid so they can register for the class. The merchant fees for MindBody are currently higher than Gulf Management, so I am thinking we might make the switch to Zenplanner.

MindBody has great tutorial videos and webinars, but with all the other stuff box owners have to do, who has time to go back to school just to learn how to add a program or a class?

I've been using the 15 day trial for Zenplanner for a few days and it is SOOOOOOO much easier to navigate, set up classes and they are linked with Gulf Management.

I have talked to a lot of people that do love MindBody...it's just not a good fit for us.

I would go with Zenplanner and Gulf Management Systems for yoru merchant account and credit card processing. Good Luck.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #20
Allison Hennings

Profile:

I have been thinking of switching- has anyone done that & how big of headache is it?