CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-18-2007, 06:06 PM   #1
Jim Lagus

Profile:
Hey guys. I was looking around the web for pull up advice, and noticed this site has a lot of good info, so I decided i'd try here.

I've set a goal (and made a bet) to do 25 sets of 40 pull ups in a day by the end of the year.

For the last 7 weeks this has been my plan:

- Started with 8 sets of 8 (80% sets) spread out through the day; tried doing that every day until I realized I wasn't improving.

- Changed it up and did them every other day. Then found out I'd need more than one day in between to recover.

- I'm up to 16 sets of 21 (probably 90%, I haven't maxed yet), 3 times a week; 2 sets every hour switching between overhand and underhand.

Should I be resting long enough to completely heal between each day that I do them? Should I be going for less sets with more reps? Any better techniques than just straight pull ups?

I have a doorway bar, so I can't really do kipping pulls or muscle ups. Also in 2 weeks i'm planning on getting a dip belt and doing them weighted for a bit to build mass, then back to reps for endurance.

Any help is appreciated, and sorry for the noobiness of this thread. I haven't had a chance to go through all the archived threads to see if this has been answered before, but I've looked around a bit before posting this.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:35 PM   #2
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Do a search for "grease the groove" aka neuro synaptic fiscilation or something like that.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:43 PM   #3
Skylar Cook

Profile:
Whoa there... 25 sets of 40 non-kipping pullups? Thats nuclear! Extra mass would probably be detrimental, as you are going for an endurance exercise, not strength (would help in general fitness, but I'd be suprised if it was beneficial in such a specific, focused exercise). GTG is good, should help. I'd definitely look into a way to kip...

Cycle in a couple of max days every month, after you get to temp. muscle failure, do negatives or kipping.

(Message edited by surfreak on March 18, 2007)
Old 03-18-2007, 08:30 PM   #4
Jason Needler

Profile:
Look up Pavel's Ladders.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:02 PM   #5
Jim Lagus

Profile:
Thanks for the input guys! I'm learning a lot here, keep it coming!

I have an add-on question.

Do you think 25x40 is feasible by the end of the year? I don't know how long it takes most people to be able to do that many.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:01 PM   #6
Don Stevenson

Profile:
I don't think most people could be bothered trying to do 1000 pullups in one day!

edit - what i mean to say is that very few people have goals which are as specific as doing that many pullups in one day, especially on a site like this where a variety of fitness skills are valued and extreme specificity is generally frowned upon.

(Message edited by don_stevenson on March 18, 2007)
Old 03-19-2007, 08:57 AM   #7
Tom C Lopez

Profile:
the fact you have to do 25 sets in a day will like it quite nicely to greasing the groove..

i say take it easy, but do your 25 sets a day, a few days a week. maybe starting at 10 pullups per set, increase gradually, maybe by just 1 each week..

25 x 10 week 1
25 x 11 week 2
25 x 12 week 3

etc...

if you test your maxes every now and then, i imagine this would get you where you want to be..
im almost tempted myself :happy:
Old 03-19-2007, 02:22 PM   #8
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
What a crazy goal! If you do it, you'd have earned my respect from here and unto the mystic island of sore lats.

I think Skylar has a very good point with the mass issue. You'd probably do alot better with several pounds off. Slim down and stay away from big squats and benches for the next 9 months!

Good luck.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:14 PM   #9
Jim Lagus

Profile:
Wow Pavel's Ladders rock! I was feeling sick last night at around 10:00PM but still needed to get 6 sets in before going to bed. I decided to try some ladders and did them all in about 30 minutes. At my normal rate it would have been 3 hours!

I still have a few weeks to kill before I really need to concentrate on my year end goal, so I think I'll try these for a bit and see how they effect my sets.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:26 AM   #10
James Napier

Profile:
So how many did you do by last night?

How many do you think you could do tomorrow GTG style?

You do take a break every other day on this don't you?

I'm interested in your progress.