CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
Steven Michael

Profile:
programing

how do you all go about progamming your classes? how do you deal with clients missing classes if you are on a cycle? how do you go about makeing up workouts with a lack of equipment and not have it get stale or boring?
Old 05-11-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
Dave Traeger

Profile:
Re: programing

You learn about programming at the Cert, you should go to it if you're interested in training others. You keep it fun by mixing it up a lot, and having a good atmosphere to train in.

The cycle is really only for athletes at a certain "stage". Anyone whos going 2-3 times a week would get plenty benefit from whatever WOD came up on the day.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

I have recently switched to using a system of 3 primary days a week and 3 secondary/make up days.

The problem I found was clients missing long single modality met-cons and heavy lifting days. Because the long met-cons are not programed very often if you miss one you could go six weeks without a long effort.

The lifting is even worse. I run a strength bias because all my clients have come through the door with low strength. I use the 5 primary power lifts on a regular basis. For my clients to make the strength gains they need I can't have them missing bench pressing which will only come up once every two weeks. Even benching once every two weeks is barely enough to continue to make gains once they pass a novice level.

Primary days are Monday, Tuesday and Thursdays. All heavy lifting and long single modality met-cons are programed on these days.

Secondary/Make-up days are Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. All clients first priority on these days is to make up any missed primary days. If they have completed all primary days then there is a new WOD for that day. These are usually simple multi movement met-cons in the 12 to 20 minute range. Because the weights involved are not heavy it doesn't really matter which one you do. They will even out over time.

I have only been running this for about a month but it seems to be working well and the clients "get it". I just had a woman do todays workout yesterday because she had been here Monday and Tuesday but knew she was going to miss Thursday's workout because of a work commitment. As a result she did her 5-5-5 back squats for the week. A very important lifting workout.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Interesting Brendan. Did you choose those days based on which ones have been popular / unpopular in terms of attendance?

How do you find managing / coaching a class of different wods with different time frames and different excercises?
Old 05-14-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Yes days were chosen because we use to be closed Wednesdays as a rest day and my early clients got in the habit of taking this day off. Many have no interest in working out on the weekends.

Because Wednesday, Friday and Saturday afternoons are the lightest attendance I don't have any problem running multiple workouts. My longer term clients know how to warm-up and lift 3x5 @> 80% of 1RM. I only need to keep a close eye on the 3 heavy work sets for form, spotting, correct loading of the bar and to encourage them to add a little weight for second and third set if possible.

I have about 22 members and still operate out of my home so I'm not sure if it will continue to work going forward. I think it will. It would actually be easier with more space. I have enough clients that have been with me for 6 months+ that the easiest gains in strength have been made and they need to stick to fairly organized lifting.