CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-07-2011, 01:24 AM   #1
Mads Phi

Profile:
Question Paleo, Thai and Indian restaurant panic

Hi,

I'm currently traveling a bit and end up in Thai and Indian restaurants at least once a day.

Since I'm eating paleo, I try to only order meat/vegetables and avoid rice, nan bread, etc.

So far so good, but it's starting to get quite boring. The meat/vegetable dishes just don't taste the same when they are eaten without rice/bread

Any recommendations on what to eat in Thai and Indian restaurants - and how to get over my rice/bread cravings when I'm there?

Thanks,
Mads
Old 05-07-2011, 04:42 AM   #2
Darryl Shaw

Profile:
Re: Paleo, Thai and Indian restaurant panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mads Phi View Post
Hi,

I'm currently traveling a bit and end up in Thai and Indian restaurants at least once a day.

Since I'm eating paleo, I try to only order meat/vegetables and avoid rice, nan bread, etc.

So far so good, but it's starting to get quite boring. The meat/vegetable dishes just don't taste the same when they are eaten without rice/bread

Any recommendations on what to eat in Thai and Indian restaurants - and how to get over my rice/bread cravings when I'm there?

Thanks,
Mads
Bread and rice are staple foods for some of the slimmest, healthiest populations on the planet; there's absolutely no reason to avoid eating them.

FAO.org - Carbohydrates in Human Nutrition. (wfs)
Old 05-07-2011, 08:52 AM   #3
Ryan Nack

Profile:

thai green or yellow or red, or just any curry, tandoori chicken, hrmm, Chicken Satay. I dunno, I could never get bored eating paleo at Indian or Thai places.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
Bread and rice are staple foods for some of the slimmest, healthiest populations on the planet; there's absolutely no reason to avoid eating them.

FAO.org - Carbohydrates in Human Nutrition. (wfs)
Darryl, I'm no Paleo fanatic, but example used as an argument is a poor one in the sense that those places where they are a staple traditionally are not coupled with gross excess of intake like in the Western world. In other words, if you are on a maintenance, or hypo-caloric diet then I agree with your argument. In the context of Western excess the Paleo arguments might have some validity. Does that make sense?
Old 05-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
Spencer James

Profile:

Order a side of vegetables to replace the rice/bread, and just pour the curry/whatever on top of them. In my opinion, vegetables taste better than rice/bread anyway.

Also, FYI, I think some Thai recipes use soy sauce, which typically has gluten. If you are trying to stay strict paleo, you might ask for them to not use it. The food probably still ends up with gluten in it, though...but this is removing at least one source.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Most homemade Thai green curry recipes I look up have at least a cup of sugar in them. I assume restaurants make their's similarly

Not saying they're not one of the best tasting things in the world, just sayin'
Old 05-07-2011, 08:12 PM   #7
Mark Ritchie

Profile:

Well, I eat paleo and live in Thailand so eat a fair bit of Thai food.

Just don't order rice, and you're good. Anything with coconut milk in it is good, and while there is sugar in some dishes, it is more as a spice rather than a key ingredient. A dash of sugar will bring out the fire a bit more in curries. I've never seen anyone add a cup of sugar to curry dishes, at least with real Thai food.

Northern Thai and Issan (Northeastern) food is very paleo -- lots of roasted meat, etc. Laap (minced pork) often has organs in it which is good for you, as well as "nam tok" which is sliced pork with lots of onions and spices. But most restaurants serve Central Thai food, which is very different. That said, if the cook is Thai, there is a good chance they are Lao, or from the North/Northeast. Ask if they have anything special that isn't on the menu, especially "Issan" or Northern food.

And come to Chiang Mai for amazing Northern food, fried insects and all!

-Mark

Last edited by Mark Ritchie : 05-07-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:42 PM   #8
Spencer James

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ritchie View Post

Just don't order rice, and you're good. Anything with coconut milk in it is good, and while there is sugar in some dishes, it is more as a spice rather than a key ingredient. A dash of sugar will bring out the fire a bit more in curries. I've never seen anyone add a cup of sugar to curry dishes, at least with real Thai food.

Northern Thai and Issan (Northeastern) food is very paleo -- lots of roasted meat, etc. Laap (minced pork) often has organs in it which is good for you, as well as "nam tok" which is sliced pork with lots of onions and spices. But most restaurants serve Central Thai food, which is very different. That said, if the cook is Thai, there is a good chance they are Lao, or from the North/Northeast. Ask if they have anything special that isn't on the menu, especially "Issan" or Northern food.

-Mark
Dude, I clicked through to the link at the bottom and your box in Chiang Mai looks so cool! I'm definitely going to come up and check it out next time I'm in Thailand.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:38 AM   #9
Mads Phi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ritchie View Post

-Mark
Agree. I'm in Bangkok and that's exactly what I'm doing when eating Thai - order everything without rice/go for sum dam and nam dok (prefer nam dok to lap if the meat is good quality without too much fat).

Your gym in Chiang Mai looks great, sad it's so far from Bangkok.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:46 AM   #10
Mark Ritchie

Profile:

Thanks guys for the comments on our gym! It's a great place to train. Except maybe in a heavy rain with high winds...

And we're not that far from Bangkok -- over night train or a 1 hour flight! Come up for a week and workout with us anytime. We don't do Saturday classes right now, but if bunch of folks wanted to do it, we could -- it's always great having new people in the box.