CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 04-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Return to training after L5/S1 lumbar Discectomy surgery

I had a L5/S1 lumbar discectomy surgery on Feb 14 this year (this injury was not caused by lifting or martial arts). I received clearance from the surgeon on Tuesday to start weight training again and he expects to see me deadlifting 300# or more by the time I see him again in three months.

I can not bend forward much (I can not ride the triathlon bike yet as I can't stay bent over to hold the bar grips) and pushing my lower back into the floor is quite painful and difficult, but I'll keep working to improve my mobility. I'll be doing a lot of bodyweight exercises while introducing weighted and/or ballistic movements slowly to the routine.

-------

Yesterday April 26, 2011

15 min ring dip density program (3 reps every 10 seconds as long as possible, go to 20 sec rest breaks when I can not complete the three reps after 10 sec breaks...go to 30 second rest break if 20 seconds is not enough):

36/10sec, 57/20sec = 93 total ring dips with 10# sandbag neck weight

Work Capacity 101 AMRAP in 20 minutes:

5 kipping pullups (first time kipping since the surgery, no pain)
10 20# med ball slams
15 burpees (bringing knees to chest causes pain in lower back, but I need to keep working on it. Burpees done slow and deliberate, as usual no swayback or knee planks during the pushup portion. Swayback pushups don't count)
20 jumping jacks

7 rounds + 5 pullups, 10 slams and 9 burpees

No finisher performed. Was ill with the flu on Monday and did not feel up to it.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Re: Return to training after L5/S1 lumbar Discectomy surgery

Yesterday April 27:

Tabata treadmill intervals:

12 degree incline, speed at 6

Very easy, no pain. Need to increase the speed. First time I've tried to run since the surgery (surgeon gave me the OK to "jog". I pose run much better on an incline and would have preferred to run outside, but it was raining).

Core Training (3 rounds):

26# KB TGU: 5/5 reps
26# Twisting KB Deadlift: 6/6 reps
V-ups: 15 reps
Side planks and forward plank, 1 minute each

Working to regain lower back mobility and/or maintain spinal stability during the exercises. TGUs and DLs had no pain; the V-ups hurt quite a bit if I lost spinal stability while bringing my legs up.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
Kelly Moore

Profile:

April 28:

BJJ warmup and practice (can not roll or spar yet). Can not do triangle chokes or hip ups; rolling over a shoulder is tough too as my low back can not arch to form a nice round rolling surface. It stays flat as a board; I can not activate the area - it is like it is dead. I will be seeing a very talented woman tomorrow morning who does joint yoga with people and animals with fantastic results. She is very gentle and the results are tremendous (cats, dogs and horses don't lie or have placebo effect). She has worked on my horse and my cats for years. Next weekend I spend two days with Eishens Yoga instructor Kari Tomashik - I can not wait! Her work with me, Camille and other athletes has been without compare to any other yoga or mobility instructor I've seen.

17# Bulgarian Bag Zercher squat density progeram: 168/10sec = 168 total reps. Very easy, need more weight. Low back had no issues.

Day 8 of 50:

Double DB Split Snatch: 15# DBs 5x3 reps, 60 second break between sets

Double DB Push Press: 30# DBs 5x3 reps, 60 second break between sets

One arm DB Bench Press: 30# DB 4x5/5 reps (need to go heavier)
Depth Clapping Pushups (6" blocks): 4x5 reps (fun and challenging, can do more reps)
60 second break after couplets

Wall Squat Hold: 4x60 seconds
Jump Squat: 4x10 reps
60 second break after couplets

100 double hand 26# KB swings to finish
Old 04-30-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Friday April 29: Took the day off - went for a leisurely 2 hour evening hike in the Cherokee Marsh with two naturalists who took us to watch American Woodcocks doing the mating dance. Fascinating little birds!

Saturday April 30: Judo followed by BJJ in the morning (stepins, footsweeps, taking the back from turtle drills. No throwing, being thrown or sparring for me). Getting really tired of not being able to play.

15 minute Density Body Rows with feet on 6" block, back just grazing floor at hang: 69/10sec, 57/20sec = 126 total. Much harder with feet higher than shoulders. Have been able to complete 15 at 10 seconds with feet on the floor and back grazing the floor at hang.

15 minute Density Hanging Knee Raises with 5# ankle weights: 141/10sec = 141 total. Zero low back pain! Finally! Even able to curl sit bones under a little with no pain.

Day 9 GPP#2:

Burpees 30 sec
Jumping Jacks 30 sec
Split Lunge Jumps 30 sec
Burpees 30 sec
Jumping Jacks 30 sec
Mountain Climbers 30 sec
Rest 30 sec
Repeat 4 more times

Low pain pinging a little on some of the burpee reps when I brought my knees under my chest, but it was the mountain climbers that did hurt when I did them. Slowed them way down, bringing knee pain elbow and holding a second while keeping low back tight. That stopped the pain and gave my back a light stretch. Jumping jacks and lunge jumps caused no pain.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:12 AM   #5
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Sunday May 1:

A short BJJ session with Camille.

Day 11 Density workout:

Plyo Depth Pushups with 6" blocks: 31/10sec, 81/20sec = 112 total. Chest touching floor each rep, explode to blocks and drop to pushup as fast as possible. Each 3 rep combination took 4 seconds to complete. Very tough...surprised I made it through 11 rounds with 10 seconds break between them. Thought I would be done at 5 rounds. Back, butt and hams kept tight for entire exercise - any swayback or knee drops would have been crappy form and hurt my back. I have always maintained a strict plank for any pushup position, including burpees - I do not believe in or do swayback or knee versions. No compromise for a better time or more reps. I will get more rounds or better times by getter stronger and/or more powerful.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #6
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Wednesday May 4:

Took off several days due to working on creating a "Savannah garden" in the backyard (complete with a 5' wide pullup bar built into the arbor frame - I want be able to do bartender type workouts to amuse the neighbors). Will continue to work on it this week and the rest of next week. Plan to get it done before the nice paddling/kayaking/biking weather settles in. The Koi can live outside in the pond again!

Today on 12 degree incline treadmill:

8 - 1 minute runs at 6 mph with 60 sec break between sets - too easy. Must increase the speed.

5 - 15 second sprints at 9 mph with 60 second break between sets. A bit too easy - decrease rest breaks next time.

5 rounds, no rest, not done for time:

5 Dragon Flags (not quite flat parallel to the ground yet, but getting close again)
6/6 36# KB Twisting Deadlifts
15 Supermans
8/8 20# Med ball Seated Russian Twists (feet off floor)

Side and Elbow Planks: 1 Minute each to finish

Density Training:

7:30 8' hands only rope climbs every 20 seconds - 14 ascents and descents (started and ended seated each effort).

7:30 Full ROM HSPUs doubles (hands on 12" stools, head to floor each rep). 10/20, 10/30 = 20 total reps....at my limit of doubles with this ROM. Hope to work up to all doubles every 20 seconds for 7 1/2 minutes.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #7
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Thursday May 5

BJJ class in AM; no sparring

Day 13 of program:

One arm DB Push Press: 4x4/4 reps 30-35-40-40# 90sec rest

60# Sandbag Shouldering: 4x4/4 90sec rest

Couplet:

40# DB step ups 4x6/6: 16" step, DB in opposite hand
GHR:4x8 very slow, no momentum

15 minute density 26# Bulgarian Bag Zercher squats: 144/10 = 144 total
Old 05-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #8
Christina Fleck

Profile:

Glad to see you post your WOD's here, I had the same surgery in October. I'm just now getting back to my pre-surgery strength. Can't wait to see how you progress!
Old 05-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #9
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Hi Christina,

Good to hear from you!

Saturday May 7:

Paddleboarding for two hours during a naturalist birding tour on Cherokee Marsh followed by an hour of Judo (actually did some decent hip throws and was gently thrown several times!), then an hour of BJJ practice (no sparring). Went immediately to five hours of Eischens Yoga seminar work (inversion and upper body work).

Sunday May 8:

About five hours of Eischens Yoga seminar work - legs and hips. Hip work very useful.

Monday May 9:

Shoulders and hips sore from yoga!

Eischens yoga hip sequence

Density ring MUs for 7:30 minutes (support to support each rep - no jump off reps):
18/30 (triples), 6/30 (doubles) = 24 total. Low back feels a bit of pain with the first couple reps, feels fine the remainder of the reps.

15 minute 35# Bulgarian Bag one shoulder 12" step ups:
138/10 = 138 total without putting 35# bag down. The step ups were far too easy; shouldering the bag for 15 minutes did get a bit tiring on the traps.

Core work, 3 rounds with 60 seconds rest between sets:

Wheel rollouts from the knees: 6 reps
5 second curlups: 12 reps
45# bar Landmine side bends: 6/6 reps
45# bar Landmine twists: 6/6 reps
Back Extensions: 12 reps

All reps done very slow and controlled. Landmine work can be heavier. Slow curlups with low back kept pressed into the floor are a great movement.

GPP #3 - four rounds, 30 seconds for each movement:

Burpees
Kipping Pullups
Jumping Lunge Jumps
Burpees
Kipping Pullups
Squats

Burpees done with care - some minor but present low back pain when bringing legs back under body before the jump. Kipping pullups caused no low back pain (I have a muted kip so I don't have much leg or body movement), but my shoulders felt a bit tight so I backed off from 17 reps per 30 seconds to 10 reps after the third round. Don't need a problem there.....my shoulders have felt good since doing so many strict pullups that I really want to keep feeling good.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:22 PM   #10
Kelly Moore

Profile:

May 11, Day 17

15 minutes density strict dead hang pullups: Three reps every 10 seconds until I can not do anymore with that rest break....increase to 20 seconds, then 30 seconds if needed.

45/10sec, 39/20sec = 84 total reps. Dead hang makes it much, much harder! A full one second dead hang between reps. Wow.

One minute break to get treadmill up to speed.

12 degree incline treadmill runs:

10 sets of 30 sec at speed 7. Started at speed 8 but could not maintain. 30 seconds rest between runs.
One minute break.
5 sets of 14 second runs at speed 8. Fifteen second rest between runs. Not too difficult.

Core #7, three rounds:

TGU with 8# med ball: 5/5 - not hard weight, but hard balancing the ball!
Saxon side bends with 8# med ball: 6/6 - not hard weight; don't have much movement through my spine.
V-ups/knee hugs: 10/10 - Both difficult movements; low back sure doesn't want to move like that these days.

Did some Eishens yoga and managed to bend over and touch fingertips to the floor. It's a real pain when you can't bend over and tie your shoes.

Aikido practice tonight for the first time in over four months. I had to stop Aikido early on after being injured in November due to not being able to do forward rolls without extreme pain. I'm hoping I will be able to participate in some way tonight, even if I can't roll or fall. Aikido was the first of the three martial arts I had to give up after being injured followed by Judo then BJJ. I'm hoping that I can take up all three again real soon.