CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-15-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
Gisselle Matta

Profile:
What shoes to wear?

Hi:
I'm getting back at CF and wanted to get opinion of what shoes would work best. I currently have a pair of fairly new Nike running shoes, but a friend recommended I get a different pair of crosstraining shoes. Do you all agree? if so, should I try to get the customary crosstraining shoe or one of those minimalist types? Just to clarify I'm doing a CF training camp at a local park so will not be doing all the weight lifting like at a box (olympic lifting).
Old 04-15-2011, 02:24 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: What shoes to wear?

Minimalist shoes typically make the best all-around choices. Anything with lots of cushioning is a bad choice for anything that requires you to drive through your feet into a stable surface, and heel cushioned running shoes tend to encourage heel striking. If you're not going to do much running something like Chuck Taylors or Vans will do the job. But my new favorite all around shoes are the New Balance Minimus trails--they're similar to Nike Frees or Puma flats or INOV8s but even more minimalist and very comfortable for pretty much any kind of activity.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
Amy Larson

Profile:

I wear DC skate shoes a lot for workouts in my garage. I have some Innov8s and like them as well. I did just spring for some lifting shoes. Obviously I would not wear these for metcons, but they are best for lifting. I just change my shoes for conditioning. On the rare day I get out and run a little on the pavement or treadmill (very rare, maybe a warm-up or occasional 400M in a conditioning workout) I like AdiZeros from Addidas. My favorites for walking the dog.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
Shawn M Smith

Profile:

I second the NB Minimus Trails.

I also like to use Vibram FiveFingers, but I realize they're a bit extreme for some people's tastes/comfort level.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
Michael E Tancini

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Smith View Post
I second the NB Minimus Trails.

I also like to use Vibram FiveFingers, but I realize they're a bit extreme for some people's tastes/comfort level.
I use the Vibram fivefingers, it took a week or so to get used to them, but I love them now.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
Andrew Dempsey

Profile:

I used to wear moderate stability Mizuno running shoes (can't recall the model) due to an old ankle injury. But I decided to follow the advice of this forum and a local running shop and picked up a pair of Innov8's. Roclite 295 or something like that, so they have some cushioning when compared to the racing flats they also make. Fantastic shoes and a lot more comfortable than I was expecting.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
Kyle Graves

Profile:

Vibram Five fingers! Great for your feet IMO. You can run/jump/lift/climb in them just fine. Takes a little getting used to, but I can't imagine working out in anything else.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #8
Scott Hallas

Profile:

I have a pair of the INNOV8 311 and love them. Also like VFF
Old 04-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #9
Neal Smith

Profile:

I have the Nike Free Runners 5.0, I like them, light but still provide some cushion, I know they have others that are more "training" focused... might take a look at those
Old 04-16-2011, 08:52 PM   #10
Casey Raiford

Profile:

We have a lot of members in good standing of the Best Crossfit Shoe of the Month club in my box. All the way around, I recommend spending $20 on a pair of Chucks at target. Wear them out and then make a decision.