CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
Brian Michaelson

Profile:
TriggerPoint "The Grid" Foam roll or RumbleRoller

I'm looking into getting a new foam roll due to the fact that my current one does not really help anymore. Has anyone used both of these? If so which one did you like more or which one helped more? They are both about the same price so that's not too much of a factor for me.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
Donald Clarkson

Profile:
Re: TriggerPoint "The Grid" Foam roll or RumbleRoller

I have a grid and I like it but I have also heard good things about the rumble roller. My grid definitely works though!

Don

http://www.crossfitbelair.com/
Old 04-04-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
Joe Agliozzo

Profile:

I have the blue rumble roller and really like it. It's a combo of roller and lacrosse ball, great for hitting trigger points and "laminations" per K Starr. I was using the black foam roller and no comparison in function.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

You can do all the same things and save a lot of money by getting a few lacrosse balls and a 2ft section of PVC pipe wrapped in athletic tape. After awhile a foam roller won't be stiff enough to really get into your muscles--that's where a PVC pipe helps. You can also wrap it in a piece of thin yoga mat if the tape isn't enough cushioning.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:37 PM   #5
Brian Michaelson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
You can do all the same things and save a lot of money by getting a few lacrosse balls and a 2ft section of PVC pipe wrapped in athletic tape. After awhile a foam roller won't be stiff enough to really get into your muscles--that's where a PVC pipe helps. You can also wrap it in a piece of thin yoga mat if the tape isn't enough cushioning.
i have MANY lacrosse balls lol...I haven't thought about making a pseudo foam roll. I'll have to take a ride over Home Depot.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:02 PM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Oh yeah the PVC is definitely the way to go...I get on a foam roller now, even one of the stiffer black ones, and it barely tickles me. PVC gets in those real bad tight spots and loosens them up.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:46 AM   #7
Scot McKinnon

Profile:

Our trainer had a great idea that I have used and it works. Freeze a 2 liter soda bottle and use it to foam roll.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:47 AM   #8
Brian Michaelson

Profile:

Quote:
Oh yeah the PVC is definitely the way to go...I get on a foam roller now, even one of the stiffer black ones, and it barely tickles me. PVC gets in those real bad tight spots and loosens them up.
made my way over to home depot last night. Picked up some 4 inch by 24 inch PVC pipe. and rolled it with my gf's yoga mat..probably the best 12 bucks ive spent in a long time.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:49 AM   #9
Joe Agliozzo

Profile:

Quote:
I have lacrosse balls, black foam roller, green foam roller and made a 4 inch PVC roller covered with very thin foam. The rumble roller along with the lacrosse ball is the ticket.

The PVC roller basically mashes everything which seems like a good idea (I've used it for 2 years) until you try the rumble roller. The nubs on it really make a difference if you are trying to hit trigger points and adhesions. I still use the lacrosse balls on psoas and the double lacrosse balls on thoracic occasionally, but the rumble roller really does the job much better than any other roller.

I have no affiliation with the company, just like the product.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:08 PM   #10
John Swanson

Profile:

We are in the process of opening a CrossFit. I did the exactly the same thing. I went on a Yoga whole sale site and ordered mats for extremely cheap. Went to Home Depot and got a bunch of pre cut PVC and some spray adhesive. Cut the mat to fit, spray the adhesive and put a thin line of electrical tape on and your golden.

I have been using the pvc and lacrosse ball method for over a year now and it works wonders.

I was at a cert last week and spealer was helping me with my shoulder flexibility. He pulled out two balls that were tape together and had me roll my back on them while doing arm movements.