CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 04-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #1
Garvin Yu

Profile:
New tattoo...stop working out?????

Need some first hand experience from everyone here with tattoos.

I'm getting a half sleeve (no shoulder though) this wednessday morning. All the research I've done on the internet says to stop working out for anywhere from a few days to a month. BUT, I'm sure a lot of you understand, I HATE to stop working out for anything except for a much needed few day's recovery time. Late February I took 2 weeks off to heal from bronchitis. The reason they're saying to stop working out is because of the salt in the sweat, and also stretching the because of increased bloodflow to the muscles.

I have some ink on my upper back, and also on my leg. I think (can't remember exactly) I exercised a day or two after getting them and nothing bad happened. But this time I'm a little nervous since I'm getting a half sleeve done.

So here's where I need your help. What have you done when getting a new tattoo? Did you work out the next day and nothing bad happened? Or did you take 2-3 days off? A week? A month? Anyone have something bad happen?

Thanks for any help!
Old 04-02-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
Vince Mannella

Profile:
Re: New tattoo...stop working out?????

I would take a week off.
I only took three days off when I got mine but it was just something smaller on my forarm and not a half sleeve.
The stretching of the muscle could cause it to open up and heal badly and look like crap.
I know mine needs a touch-up because of where it rubbed against my gun belt when it was healing.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
Wayne Horan

Profile:

I took a few days off after getting my tatts and longer on certain exercises.

Tatts sit between the layers of the skin. Its really hard to damage them through exercise if you are smart. It is still an open wound for a few days so I would lay off heavy exercise for a little while. Mainly due to the increase in sweat can make infection more likely or just general irritation.

When I got my back done I took about 3 weeks off any benching. The pressure cause pain and the movement of the back on the bench was not good. I still did deads and pushups and everything else. During the top section I didnt squat with a bar again because there was direct rubbing on the area.

When I got my sleeve I trained 3 days after and never had any problems. I didnt do any crossfit though (this was about 5 years ago). Only standard BBing training so never really worked up a sweat.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
Chad Anderson

Profile:

I worked out after 3 days. Our artist did not want us to do any exercises that will rub or aggravate the tattoo until all the scabbing was gone...generally 5-7 days.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:02 AM   #5
Pearse Shields

Profile:

My tattoo artist told me that sweat is beneficial to help the tattoo heal. Not sure how exactly, but I was happy that I got to keep on Crossfitting.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #6
Pat Pena

Profile:

I recently got another, and went the next day to work out. The only problem was we did power cleans, and the bar would touch the new ink when I was in the rack position. I disinfected the bar when I was done and washed the tattoo really well when I got home and showered. There was no damage done to the fresh ink.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
Michael Dowling

Profile:

after two days it should be fine (assuming your artist wasn't a butcher), depending where the tattoo is you could probably even get away with next day.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:43 PM   #8
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

I went to rugby practice the day after getting my half sleeve. Had no problems.