CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-25-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
Zach Reed

Profile:
Best Strength Program + Crossfit wods

I'm looking to up my strength numbers and was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on what was the best strength program to achieve this. Note: I would still like to do a few (3ish) metcons a week to retain some metabolic conditioning; I realize that this will impede strength gains to some degree, but hey I'm still a crossfitter! haha

Right now I'm stuck choosing between CFSB, 5/3/1 strength lifts with short wods for the accessory work centered around the same muscles, and the Conjugate Method as described by Matt Chan in a Journal article where you do 1 Max Effort day/week + 3 metcon'ish Dynamic Effort days. Nothing against Starting Stength, I just feel that any of the three previously mentioned will benefit me more. I'd love to hear personal accounts from people who have tried all (or some) of these programs and what they thought was the most effective for improving strength.

I'm not sure if this'll help from a program selection standpoint but I'm 23 yrs old, 5'11", 160# with strength numbers of: Back squat-295, Front Squat-245, Deadlift-395, Clean-225, Press-155. Thank ahead of time for any help.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Best Strength Program + Crossfit wods

CF/conjugate seems to be pretty effective--check out the thread about that program to get some more information on it. Chris Spealler was the test case for it and he got a lot stronger even though he was already ridiculously strong for his size, and also improved most of his benchmark metcons. Look for the CFJ article by Chris Mason for all the details.

You could also go with the 70s Big program or look up the Greyskull LP. I just downloaded that ebook and I think that's what I'm going to start up after the Games stuff is over with.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
Zach Reed

Profile:

Thanks, I didn't realize Spealler was the test subject for the crossfit/conjugate method when mason wrote that article in the journal. Do you know if Spealler went with Mason's suggested 2 Max Efforts/week or did the Matt Chan style of 1 ME/week?
Old 03-25-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I can't remember offhand, but the answer is somewhere in here: http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=63090 WFS

Chris Mason posts frequently on that thread and others, so if you've got any questions on the program he's pretty likely to respond.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:55 PM   #5
Chris Mason

Profile:

Actually, I wrote the routine for Chris.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:55 PM   #6
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Reed View Post
Thanks, I didn't realize Spealler was the test subject for the crossfit/conjugate method when mason wrote that article in the journal. Do you know if Spealler went with Mason's suggested 2 Max Efforts/week or did the Matt Chan style of 1 ME/week?
He did the EXACT program as outlined in the article the first time.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:57 PM   #7
Zach Reed

Profile:

Thanks for jumping on the thread Chris, I was in the process of reading conjugate CF thread when I saw you had posted here. I do have a few quick questions for you:

1) In your article you went outlined 3-3 week squat waves for the lower ME days. After finishing those 3 waves would it be best to do 3-3 week deadlift ME waves (using DL variations) and continue alternating between the two moves every 3 weeks for best results?

2) Should the metcon(s) that are used to replace the DE days show any movement preferential selection other than making sure that they don't interfere with the next immediate ME day?

3) Is it prudent to do a metcon after ME work or will the extra work blunt the potential strength gains from that day?

I apologize if any of these questions are repeats from your other threads, but sorting through all 46 pages takes some time..Thanks again.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #8
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
You could also go with the 70s Big program or look up the Greyskull LP. I just downloaded that ebook and I think that's what I'm going to start up after the Games stuff is over with.
Word on the Grayskull. I downloaded it this week also and it looks like a good, legit program.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:18 PM   #9
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
...or look up the Greyskull LP. I just downloaded that ebook and I think that's what I'm going to start up after the Games stuff is over with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Word on the Grayskull. I downloaded it this week also and it looks like a good, legit program.
Do either of you have his book on conditioning workouts?
Old 03-26-2011, 03:22 PM   #10
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

No, and that's really my only complaint about the LP e-book--it basically says "if you want conditioning ideas, buy my other book." I'll probably just do CFFB stuff or conditioning workouts similar to what I did on the 70s Big program. On the LP you'll also get some decent conditioning out of his volume work on pushups, pullups, and burpees.