CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
Scott VanDenHaute

Profile:
CrossFit Statistics Needed

Hello,

New to board...been active in CrossFit for about 2 years or so.

I am not opening an affiliate, but instead, I have what I believe to be an exciting new business idea that could provide a great need to the CrossFit community at large.

Unfortunately, after scouring the message boards, writing CFHQ and searching online, I have been unable to locate any real usable statistical data on CrossFit that I would need in developing my business plan...such as:

-# of CrossFitters nationwide/worldwide (estimates are all i expect here)
-# of CrossFit Affiliates nationwide/worldwide
-Growth trends in number of Affiliates in past 3-5+ years
-Growth projections on number of Affiliates in next 3-5+ years
-avg # of members at an affiliate location
- location of all affiliates (some maps are not up to date - have been gathering from main site, but if more up to date map exists, this would be helpful)
-avg. cost of membership
-most popular class/WOD times offered at affiliate location
-Any demographics on CrossFit Affiliate members
-Estimates on # of CrossFitters who are active w/out affiliate membership (ie. garage gyms, etc)

This is not the first, nor will it probably be the last, thread asking for statistical analysis, so there is obviously a need...and I believe that it is great information to have for any business...to know your industry and it's trends.

Would affiliate owners (who read this) be open to taking a quick (10 or so less questions) survey if i were to develop include link in future post? I would be happy to share all data (once collected, analyzed and organized) with all.

I appreciate any feedback here and I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks!
Scott
Old 03-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #2
David Meverden

Profile:
Re: CrossFit Statistics Needed

What is the business venture? Affiliate owners might be more willing to reach out if they knew more about your motives.

As for number of affiliates, why didn't you just tally up the number listed on the mainpage? Right now there are 2237 listed, not counting the military affiliates or not-for-profit clubs.

As for trends, that's trickier. Besides direct communication from HQ all I can think of is to find old videos where Coach or others mention how many affiliates there are.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
As for number of affiliates, why didn't you just tally up the number listed on the mainpage? Right now there are 2237 listed, not counting the military affiliates or not-for-profit clubs.
There are usually between 60 and 80 affiliated military boxes listed. Some tend to die when the sole L1 transfers or retires. Others are just dead links for no obvious reason. That doesn't count all of the units that run internal, non-affiliated programs and the tons of individuals or small groups doing their own thing in base gyms.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
Scott VanDenHaute

Profile:

Thank you both for your feedback.

David - I do understand where you are coming from here in asking why I do not share the idea, but you must also understand that I do feel this idea has great promise and therefore I am hesitant to share it and the details of implementation on a public message board or any similar forum.

I can say that I truly believe that this idea can immediately fill a substantial need for not only the CrossFit community, but also the military and really any health conscious individual.

I did have a list (or estimated) figure of CF affiliates nationwide/worldwide (again, thank you for the number you provided). And thank you to Casey for providing the information on estimated # of military locations...as the military will be part of that target market.

Since the powers that be as well as potential investors require to see a business plan, I need these hard numbers/trends/growth predictions, quotes etc. to back up any claims or projections I am to make about my idea/company. Unless you are lucky, you are not getting many people to fork over a significant amount of money based on heresay, rumors and/or other unsubstantiated claims.

I have decided to formulate a survey in which I plan to disseminate to all affiliates across the country to gather this information I am seeking...since it seems none of it exists as of now. If possible, I would love to have permission to post the survey link on the message board (where it is welcomed to be cross-posted, fwd to friends, etc), but I must check into this as to see: 1) if it is allowed and if so, 2) location/forum it would have to be posted.

I'm more than happy to share my data with any affiliate that would like to see it once it is compiled and analyzed. The information gained from this survey will surely be of use to any CF affiliate when structuring WODs, assessing demographics, skill levels, diet, trends, etc.

If there's any interest in having me send anyone a survey, it is near completion and you can send me a private message or reply to the board. If anyone has any further feedback/guidance, I am all ears.

Thank you.

Scott
Old 03-23-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

So you want lots of information from us -- much of which could be considered proprietary -- but won't say why or what you plan to do with it. Okay...

Katherine
Old 03-24-2011, 05:59 AM   #6
Scott VanDenHaute

Profile:

Katherine,

Again, the proposed survey is absolutely anonymous and asks nothing even remotely close to what would be considered sensitive, personal information....and as I mentioned, all who wish to see the results to possibly help better understand the CF community's demographics, trends, etc. are WELCOME to see them. I'm just trying to get general information and because CF is not a franchised corporation, CFHQ does not have these statistics/trends, etc. These results could also help others who wish to offer any future products/services to the CF community, but do not have any statistical data to estimate what their target market would be to their potential investors or regulatory officials approving their idea.

I actually see it as me doing a lot of legwork where others are more than welcome to share the results to aid them in any future endeavors that these results may prove useful to them.

Obviously, doing this survey is completely voluntary...and I truly hope most people will see this not as some shady scam but simply a fellow CF'er trying to compile some market data and happily share it with all who wish to view it. If you review the archives here, you will see that there have been dozens of requests, affiliates included, that have asked for help in attaining this same type of information I am inquiring about. None have seemed to be able to find anything usable so far. So I am simply attempting to start a process where this generalized info can be gathered and have it shared with those and others.

Thanks for your feedback. Again, anyone is welcome to send me a private message or personal email if you have questions or further feedback.

-Scott
Old 05-11-2011, 12:31 AM   #7
Tim Nunan

Profile:

Scott, did you ever get anywhere with this? I am also searching for Crossfit stats.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #8
Ryan Avila

Profile:

Chris or Tim,
Were you able to find any stats?

Cheers,
Ryan
Old 02-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #9
Brian Strump

Profile:

The only market I'm concerned with is the one that is located 0-15 miles away from my affiliate.

Good luck with your search.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #10
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Whatever product or service you plan on targeting to the CF community, most likely does not need investors or a business plan to become successful and well accepted in the community. Rather, start small and prove there is a strong need for what you are offering. Most crossfitters appreciate the small guy starting at the grassroot levels and waiting for others to accept it before it gains popularity and full acceptance by most crossfitters.

My advice is prove you can sell it to one CF gym before you try to sell it to a thousand.

Most, if not all of the most successful CrossFit brands today have started in a similar way.