CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 03-13-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
Robert Foley

Profile:
1000 WODs

Today I am posting the results of my 1000th WOD. Iíve done every posted workout on the prescribed day, since starting CF on July 20, 2007. My initial intent was to try this program for just a month and then compare it to my previous training. It didnít take that long to figure out that CF is clearly the superior conditioning program. Its methodology has provided me with an incredibly strong basis for psychophysical understanding. Iíve honestly never been this fit.

Although this is a milestone for me, never missing a WOD hasnít been all that difficult to accomplish. CF-ing has become as much a part of my life as playing did when I was a kid. Back then, everyday was like a new adventure. It wasnít planned. One day it would be playing sandlot baseball or football. Another day it would be building forts and playing war. As kids, we would ride bikes, play tag, climb trees, or get into whatever mischief our imaginations could create. And the weather never stopped us. If it was snowing, weíd build an igloo. If it was hot, weíd swim. If it was raining, weíd get muddy.

Unfortunately, a lot of that active play disappeared as I grew into adulthood. But CF has allowed me to capture some of that youthful spirit. I feel younger not only because Iím more fit, but because the physical activity I do with CF is fun. Itís like waking-up in the morning, going outside, and tackling whatever adventure awaited me as a kid. So when a 5k pops up and itís snowing, Iím not sheltered away on a treadmill. Instead, Iím out on the ice and snow wiping icicles off my nose - just as I would when I was a kid.

No question, CF is hard and the intensity can be brutal (sometimes just thinking about it pre-WOD is worse than actually doing it). But that just adds to the excitement. Iíll never be a firebreather or Games competitor. But I can do all the WODs as prescribed. Iím not training for a power lifting, Olympic lifting, gymnastics, endurance, or bodybuilding event. But Iím seeing significant gains in all those areas. I donít need to be all that fit to do my job, but Iím healthy and able to do whatever life throws at me. I can also jump into any new physical adventure without hesitation, just like when I was a kid.

My sincere gratitude is extended to Greg and Lauren Glassman for providing this service and their insightful wisdom. Thanks also to all the coaches and athletes that make CF one of the best communities and resources for fitness Iíve ever come across. The CF community (whether at an affiliate or virtually through Facebook, the forums, etc.) makes working out all the more enjoyable.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
Jason A Smith

Profile:
Re: 1000 WODs

Robert,

That is quite amazing. The fact that you have been that disciplined is quite an accomplishment to be proud of. 1000 WODs no rest, you should get something for that. I also had a look at your log and you are no slouch with performance either. Solid numbers across the board. You are a testament to the programming. I have been thinkning about going back to MP programming for a while, I like CFFB as well and still have some strength gains to make but I may be back before the end of the year.

Again congrats, I will be following you log as well.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
Robert Foley

Profile:

Thanks, Jason! That's really cool of you to say.

Although I keep a training log on this msg board and post my WOD results to the Comments, Iím sure most people here have never noticed me. I havenít really used CF as a social forum. But, itís difficult not to feel some sort of camaraderie with fellow CF-ers.

As odd as it might sound, even being a mostly silent part of the community is very motivating and adds to my desire to continue. Plus the perceived accountability that comes from just having to post my results, even if no one reads them, is itself motivating.

I always love to come into contact with another CF-er. So your comments are really appreciated!

I know a few people who have done/are doing CFFB. They've all seen tremendous gains. I've been very impressed with the programming. I wish you continued success with your training.

Do you keep an on-line training log?
Old 03-16-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
David Meverden

Profile:

Very cool, Robert. It's always awesome to hear about people who's lives have been changed by this stuff. It really is about more than just getting in shape. It changes how you look at the world, and I know exactly what you mean about feeling like a kid. Humans are physical animals and it's great to take sheer joy in that.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
Robert Foley

Profile:

Thanks, David! I agree. Aside from practicing martial arts or playing sports, my "fitness" training tended to focus on the result rather than the process. CF changed that. Now I find joy in the challenges of training.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #6
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Robert,

My pleasure. I do keep a log here, have been since I started. One of my main reasons for going to CFFB was to be able to Rx the main site WODs. Somewhere along the way I really enjoy the heavy lifting 4/week. Never really like lifting too much before this at all. I have some fairly concrete strength goals I'd like to achieve before doing something else and I think it is also a very good GPP program as well. I am doing the Open Sectionals (hopefully from my basement) and will be interested to see how CFFB translates.

I checked you scores form the last couple WODs. Nice work on the sectional WOD and the squats, very nice numbers !
Old 03-20-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
Robert Foley

Profile:

Just found your training log, Jason. Very impressive work! Looks like CFFB translates very well! Like I said, I'm always impressed by the results people see doing that prg. Great job on the first Open WOD and best of luck on the rest of the competition!