CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-08-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
Jenn Tippmann

Profile:
Zone diet for Weight Loss Question

Hello!
A while back I lost a nice chunk of baby weight using zone...not to mention I felt amazing! The last 10-15 got difficult, I was over analyzing got frustrated and quit. I am going at round 2 and wanted to get some experienced opinions out the gate this time!
At this point in the weight loss game you typically need to be very exact with measurments on other diets, and this is where a lot of questions come in. Thanks a bunch for your time and input!

1) When foods have fat in them, such as regular cheese or whole eggs, is it neccessary to add in the additional fat blocks? (I had read if you have been on a fairly healthy eating plan for a while it is not neccessary)

2) For lunch yesterday I was looking for a 3 block meal. I ate 3oz turkey burger and a bag of veggies. The protien listed on the bag was minimal, but with eating 3 servings it totaled 9 protien. Should I have ate less ground turkey in that case? Basically when I am using a food for "carbs" and it contains minimal protien or visa versa do I add all the grams frome the labels to make it perfect exact? Or is it just not neccessary?

3) In regards to the same lunch from #2... I was under on my carbs by about 5 for a complete 3 block meal. Do I need to eat a few bites of fruit or something in that case or is it just not neccessary to be so exact? Same question applies to a favorite snack I have... a yogurt contains 1.5 carb and 1 protien. Add in half a protien?

4) I have to eat out a lot for business. I order egg white omelets or fish/chicken grilled with veggies and xtra veggies or fruit. Any suggestions on avoiding all the extra oil I can taste in my mouth ?

5) if you are still with me, thank you so much for your help!! Do you know of a good app for the IPHONE? I would love to tally my meals as I make them, and then also tally the calories.

Thanks soooo much!
Old 03-08-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
Jenn Tippmann

Profile:
Re: Zone diet for Weight Loss Question

..... ugh, sorry. One more....

6) When I do eat in the office I tend to be a grazer. I get out my eggs, grapefruit and oatmeal... and it is an hour or more before I finish all the food. Is there a point when I am eating to far apart and the "zone" isn't kicking in because I eat things to separately?
Old 03-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
Greg Harrington

Profile:

Honestly its SO much easier to eat "modified" or strict Paleo. Then you don't have to do Calculus while eating. Forget about counting the protein/fat. Just eat clean meat, fruit, vegetables and limit carbs to under 100g a day, preferably sub 50g if its doesn't destroy your energy.

You can decide on grains, dairy and beans.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Harrington View Post
Honestly its SO much easier to eat "modified" or strict Paleo. Then you don't have to do Calculus while eating. Forget about counting the protein/fat. Just eat clean meat, fruit, vegetables and limit carbs to under 100g a day, preferably sub 50g if its doesn't destroy your energy.

You can decide on grains, dairy and beans.
This. The zone would be a hassle since you eat out so much for business, and by going paleo you will not have to worry about being over/under the block allotment for a meal. If you want to you can track your food on an online journal like www.fitday.com (wfs) if the weight is still not coming off. Just eat real food when you are hungry, can't get much easier than that.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
Barrett Reznick

Profile:

Jenn,

1) When foods have fat in them, such as regular cheese or whole eggs, is it neccessary to add in the additional fat blocks? (I had read if you have been on a fairly healthy eating plan for a while it is not neccessary)

I beleive cheese is atomatically calculated as a protein source. I would just follow the block chart and not read into it too much (or you will go crazy)

2) For lunch yesterday I was looking for a 3 block meal. I ate 3oz turkey burger and a bag of veggies. The protien listed on the bag was minimal, but with eating 3 servings it totaled 9 protien. Should I have ate less ground turkey in that case? Basically when I am using a food for "carbs" and it contains minimal protien or visa versa do I add all the grams frome the labels to make it perfect exact? Or is it just not neccessary?

Once again, don't read too much into it. The zone blocks are calculated based upon what the dominate macro-nutrient is. In the case of veggies, that would be carbs. Don't add the protein into your calculations.

3) In regards to the same lunch from #2... I was under on my carbs by about 5 for a complete 3 block meal. Do I need to eat a few bites of fruit or something in that case or is it just not neccessary to be so exact? Same question applies to a favorite snack I have... a yogurt contains 1.5 carb and 1 protien. Add in half a protien?

If you want to be strict about it you could. I beleive that yogurt would count as 1 block of both carbs and protein.

4) I have to eat out a lot for business. I order egg white omelets or fish/chicken grilled with veggies and xtra veggies or fruit. Any suggestions on avoiding all the extra oil I can taste in my mouth ?

You can aske them to omit the oil/fat it is cooked in or you can take a napkin to get some of the excess fat off.

5) if you are still with me, thank you so much for your help!! Do you know of a good app for the IPHONE? I would love to tally my meals as I make them, and then also tally the calories.

I think fitday.com (WFS) and Livestrong.com (WFS) both have apps to track food and calories/nutrients.

6) When I do eat in the office I tend to be a grazer. I get out my eggs, grapefruit and oatmeal... and it is an hour or more before I finish all the food. Is there a point when I am eating to far apart and the "zone" isn't kicking in because I eat things to separately?

The zone is just a good mathatical way of eating on a healthy structured plan. There is no scientific "Zone." You would be fine eating all your food throughout the day in a grazing style if you wanted. But all these other people are right about the Paleo diet/lifestyle. Its much easier. After learning more about the zone and fitting it into your lifestyle I would make the switch to Paleo. Its much easier (no counting cals/nutrients and no weighting food)
Old 03-08-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
Jenn Tippmann

Profile:

AWESOME! Thanks so much for your quick input!
I will read up on the Paleo and come back with questions!
Old 03-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #7
Jenn Tippmann

Profile:

I am having a hard time finding a place that maps out the paleo diet in a nut shell. Can you direct me?
Old 03-08-2011, 12:44 PM   #8
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn Tippmann View Post
I am having a hard time finding a place that maps out the paleo diet in a nut shell. Can you direct me?
www.*************
www.thepaleodiet.com

both are wfs

For robb's site click on the FAQ at the top, it should answer most of your questions.

Edit: ok for the first site, it's www.r o b b w o l f.com, get rid of the spaces in between.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Also Whole9.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:51 PM   #10
Barrett Reznick

Profile:

I also go to "Marks Daily Apple" and get a bunch of my recipes from "Chow Stalker"