CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-07-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
Surdeep Dhaliwal

Profile:
Paleo for over a week, bowel movement question :S

Not a pretyy topic but I could use some help from people that are on this paleo diet, sorry.

So I joined a local crossfit and started the paleo diet the same day. I lost 5 lbs in 6 days without starving myself and with pretty normal to high energy throughout the day. Feels pretty awesome... but

I assumed cleaning up the diet and eating all those veggies would keep ones bowel movements pretty "clean" and consistent. I can't say that is the case for me. I experienced diaherria without the sickness feeling that accompanies it.

Here's what I ate for that week
M/W/F
Pre-workout: Fruit, perhaps some nuts
Post-Workout: Protein Shake (Frozen blue-berries, milk, kefir, protein powder), some sort of nuts
Breakfast: 2tbsp flax oil, 5 boiled whole eggs, piece of fruit
Lunch: 6oz chicken, mixed veggies (raw)
Dinner: 6oz fish, mixed veggies (raw, full plate)

T/Th
Same as MWF but dinner was chicken and these were rest days as i just started.

Any ideas where im going wrong??? I know the protein shake contains milk and kefir (dairy products) I haven't totaly given up dairy... yet

My first assumption was my body essentialy cleaning out my colon but I do not know if this is a normal side-effect?
Old 03-08-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
Corey Wright

Profile:
Re: Paleo for over a week, bowel movement question :S

It will take your body some time adapt. Get yourself some digestive enzymes to help your body out. That protein shake you have PO is not paleo by the way.

You might want to get more of your fat from better sources than nuts and seeds also.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:26 AM   #3
Michael Dries

Profile:

Two things, one you made a dietary change and it'll take a few weeks for your body to adapt.

Two, from what you posted your intake is far too protein heavy. When protein gets up over 30-35% of calories you can begin to experience some diaherria... eat more and more percentage of calories from protein and you can get into something called rabit starvation which is a bad place to be.

Try adding some more fats to your diet from avocado, coconut products and olive oil. Or try having some fattier meats.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
Surdeep Dhaliwal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dries View Post
Two things, one you made a dietary change and it'll take a few weeks for your body to adapt.

Two, from what you posted your intake is far too protein heavy. When protein gets up over 30-35% of calories you can begin to experience some diaherria... eat more and more percentage of calories from protein and you can get into something called rabit starvation which is a bad place to be.

Try adding some more fats to your diet from avocado, coconut products and olive oil. Or try having some fattier meats.
Thanks guys (both of you). I'll definitely give your points a try.