CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
Brian Patrick

Profile:
Mumford Procedure and recovery

So I had a mumford and a SAD performed on my left shoulder on Feb 2nd and its gone pretty well. I lost absolutely no range of motion and just completed my third week of therapy.

I keep asking my therapist when I can go back to the gym and everytime she gives me a very nondescript answer. All I know is that I can return to working out again "this month". I'm not going to start at 100% but I'm going crazy without my WODs.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get back to the gym with this particular surgery?
Old 03-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
Everett Steinbarger

Profile:
Re: Mumford Procedure and recovery

I tell my patients that they can return to the gym at anytime that they want once the pain is gone. With a Mumford (Distal Clavicle Resection) and SAD there isn't anything to protect, you just have to let the shoulder settle down. Go back to early and push it and you may end up extending how much time you stay in pain.

Have you asked your surgeon about a timeline for returning to the gym?
Rule #1: Crossfit. Zombies lead a very active life. So should you.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Pretty much what Everett said.

Get your diet and sleep in order if you haven't already. That will help speed up healing at least some.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
Brian Patrick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett Steinbarger View Post
I tell my patients that they can return to the gym at anytime that they want once the pain is gone. With a Mumford (Distal Clavicle Resection) and SAD there isn't anything to protect, you just have to let the shoulder settle down. Go back to early and push it and you may end up extending how much time you stay in pain.

Have you asked your surgeon about a timeline for returning to the gym?
My doctor told me that I could return when I go in to see him on monday. We had a paleo workshop at our box yesterday and I tried some light stuff to see what would hurt or not. Basically pull ups, push ups, and cleans don't hurt but one jerk with the bar hurt a little.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
Everett Steinbarger

Profile:

Sounds as though you already have your answer.

Everyone is going to be a little different as to when the post-op pain and aching finally goes away. I would definitely stay away from anything that is aggravating it.

If you are already doing push-us and pull-ups without pain, you are doing very well IMHO.
Rule #1: Crossfit. Zombies lead a very active life. So should you.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #6
Curt Garner

Profile:

I had this done about three years ago. As I recall, it was about two months before I was able to resume over head lifting and pullups. I had to take it slowly at first, as the shoulder would inflame easily. In fact, I worried for awhile that maybe the operation hadn't fixed the impingement, but by six months post-op,things finally began to feel "normal" and I was back to full WODs with no shoulder pain.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #7
Jason Skolnick

Profile:

I had the mumford procedure done about a month ago and I feel as if I'm recovering slowly. I still experience lots of pain and theres no way I can begin training again at this point. I too am now worried that the surgery may not get rid of the pain. I had the surgery to get rid of the pain and allow me to train at the high level I'm accustomed to. What recovery times have my fellow crossfitters experienced after having this surgery? I'm 41 and in excellent shape. My strengths have always been strength and lifting and I'm worried I won't be able to perform at the same level.

Thanks,

Jason
Old 02-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #8
Jason Skolnick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Patrick View Post
So I had a mumford and a SAD performed on my left shoulder on Feb 2nd and its gone pretty well. I lost absolutely no range of motion and just completed my third week of therapy.

I keep asking my therapist when I can go back to the gym and everytime she gives me a very nondescript answer. All I know is that I can return to working out again "this month". I'm not going to start at 100% but I'm going crazy without my WODs.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get back to the gym with this particular surgery?
I had the mumford procedure done about a month ago and I feel as if I'm recovering slowly. I still experience lots of pain and theres no way I can begin training again at this point. I too am now worried that the surgery may not get rid of the pain. I had the surgery to get rid of the pain and allow me to train at the high level I'm accustomed to. What recovery times have my fellow crossfitters experienced after having this surgery? I'm 41 and in excellent shape. My strengths have always been strength and lifting and I'm worried I won't be able to perform at the same level.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #9
Jason Skolnick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Patrick View Post
My doctor told me that I could return when I go in to see him on monday. We had a paleo workshop at our box yesterday and I tried some light stuff to see what would hurt or not. Basically pull ups, push ups, and cleans don't hurt but one jerk with the bar hurt a little.
I had the mumford procedure done about a month ago and I feel as if I'm recovering slowly. I still experience lots of pain and theres no way I can begin training again at this point. I too am now worried that the surgery may not get rid of the pain. I had the surgery to get rid of the pain and allow me to train at the high level I'm accustomed to. What recovery times have my fellow crossfitters experienced after having this surgery? I'm 41 and in excellent shape. My strengths have always been strength and lifting and I'm worried I won't be able to perform at the same level
Old 02-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #10
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Skolnick View Post
I had the mumford procedure done about a month ago and I feel as if I'm recovering slowly. I still experience lots of pain and theres no way I can begin training again at this point. I too am now worried that the surgery may not get rid of the pain. I had the surgery to get rid of the pain and allow me to train at the high level I'm accustomed to. What recovery times have my fellow crossfitters experienced after having this surgery? I'm 41 and in excellent shape. My strengths have always been strength and lifting and I'm worried I won't be able to perform at the same level
Bone pain and swelling take awhile to get better. I tell my patients normal human stuff 2 months. Crossfit can be 4-5 months without any pain.

www.orthopedicsne.com