CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-02-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
Carla Buzzio

Profile:
SALT, good or bad...confused

Hi Everyone,

I'm farely new to this Forum and Crossfit and loving every minute of it. I have a quick question on Salt intake since I've gotten all different takes on it. I've read in Loren Cordain's book "The Paleo Diet," not to use any salt. However other sites I have visited for Paleo Receips say Sea Salt is ok. So which is it??

Thanks
Old 03-02-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: SALT, good or bad...confused

Moderation.

Salt is necessary for electrolyte balance. However, if you eat processed foods you almost certainly get WAY more of it than you need.

But if you're eating strictly paleo, you're not eating processed foods, and there's nothing wrong with moderate use of salt as a flavoring.

FWIW, this is also my take on most specific ingredients, and I personally don't eat paleo. So the paleo purists may disagree.

Katherine
Old 03-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Moderation.

Salt is necessary for electrolyte balance. However, if you eat processed foods you almost certainly get WAY more of it than you need.
This! Don't go crazy, if you are adding salt to everything, or adding ALOT, there's something wrong. As long as you are using it sparingly, and not eating high sodium processed foods, you're golden. Salt (sea or table salt, but NOT rock salt) is also the only source of iodine in most peoples diet, so a small amount is probably actually good for you.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla Buzzio View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm farely new to this Forum and Crossfit and loving every minute of it. I have a quick question on Salt intake since I've gotten all different takes on it. I've read in Loren Cordain's book "The Paleo Diet," not to use any salt. However other sites I have visited for Paleo Receips say Sea Salt is ok. So which is it??

Thanks
i use it and correct me if i'm wrong but the only reason some paleo folks are strict on zero salt is because it wasn't part of the original human diet and not for any other reason. to me that isn't good enough reason to cut it out completely. a little in moderation is perfectly fine especially if you're eating nothing but meat, veggies, and nuts and not getting any salt from anywhere else.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #5
Michael Jarossy

Profile:

No salt was easily the hardest part of the 30-day challenge for me. Nowadays I still eat 95% paleo, and I use salt (in moderation of course).
Old 03-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
Carla Buzzio

Profile:

Thanks everyone for your great input!