CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-04-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
Seth Spritz

Profile:
video comparison of Eleiko Olympic Training and Sorinex Six Shooter bars

I've finally had my first hand look at the Sorinex Six Shooter bar and, for anyone interested, here it is next to the Eleiko Olympic Training bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U24Gr-PyG5g (WFS)

Regrettably, the poor video does not do justice to these beautiful bars, but I thought it would be better than posting nothing. I wish I also had one of Pendlay's NexGen needle bearing bars to include since it is priced lower than either of these two bars and it would be interesting to see how it compares.

Here are the available specs on both bars http://store.sorinex.com/Sorinex_Six...b_p/soss-1.htm (WFS)
http://www.eleikosport.se/weightlift...Product_Id=203 (WFS)

I am lacking some information about the Six Shooter; specifically the diameter of the bar and the number of bearings per sleeve. It is not listed on the Sorinex web site so I was hoping that someone who has this information could step up to this discussion. Just eyeballing the bar, I think it is a hair thicker than the Eleiko which would put it at 28.5mm, but I'm not sure of this. As far as the number of bearings, I can't guess. The spin is smooth and nice; not quite as much spin as the Eleiko, but very good and the difference is materially insignificant. Both have minimal play in the sleeve, a little less play on my Eleiko than the Six Shooter but again no material difference. My Eleiko weighs 20.2 kg and while I have not yet had an opportunity to weigh the Six Shooter; I suspect it's true to it's 20kg.

The knurling on both bars is quite different and unfortunately this did not show on my video. The Six Shooter has a finer knurl than the Eleiko, and interestingly, as different as they both feel I found them both comfortable and grippy. The Eleiko has a fine center knurl and the Six Shooter has no center knurling. It is a little more difficult to clean dirt and chalk from the Six Shooter because of the finer knurl, but this is not really an issue.

The aesthetics, for what it's worth, of the bars are quite different. The Eleiko is a flawless bar with a standard barbell design. The Six Shooter is also flawless with a uniquely attractive industrial looking thinner and larger diameter collar with it's characteristic six weight calibrating holes. For those who have a better understanding of bar design, the video shows the different end caps of each bar. I do like the bull nose shape of the Six Shooter bar end.

Both bars are quite nice and have differences that either make no material difference to me or are interesting in their own way. I like both bars equally so far but, if I could only buy one, I'd go with the Six Shooter for it's better value. Still, it would be nice to see how Pendlay's NexGen bearing bar compares with the Six Shooter and hopefully someone may be able to do that in the future. I'm not sure buying a third needle bearing bar will pass the Wife acceptance test at this time.

That bit at the end of my video shows a Fastenal washer that I use as a fractional plate. There was a long discussion about this recently so I decided to throw that in. The specifics about where to get that washer are discussed in other threads. For those of us backwards types still using non-metric weights that washer is inexpensive, conveniently fits the bar and is nearly exactly half the weight of a 1.25 lb plate.

Last edited by Seth Spritz : 02-04-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
Andrew Bell

Profile:
Re: video comparison of Eleiko Olympic Training and Sorinex Six Shooter bars

Great post. I would also like to see how a Rogue Blackjack bar stacks up to an Eleiko.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
Seth Spritz

Profile:

Thanks Andrew. I've been fortunate to experiment with a variety of equipment and vendors, most good but some not-so-good and like to collaborate with the group here to navigate the challenges of equipping a home gym through virtual retailers.

Anyway, the closest answer I recall to your question is this post http://board.crossfit.com/showthread...ight=tale+high (WFS) comparing the Werksan, Pendlay & Burgener bearing bars. Rogue describes their Blackjack as the "sister" to the Burgener bearing bar and I take that as meaning same bar, different finish.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Thanks for the thread Seth, read that thread a few times myself back when it was posted, but hadn't seen the video link in it. Unlike the reviewer of that thread I prefer the black finish, and do like the feel of it better in my hands in reguards to the knurling, etc over an Eleiko. I'm lucky in that my gym has an Eleiko I can use any time I want, but I actually prefer the normal black Rogue Bars they have there. If the Blackjack is just a beefed up bearing version of the normal Rogue bar then count me in.

Of course I'm still a ways off from having a place I could use it, but that didn't stop me from scoring a free bar here at work. It's an el cheapo CAP bar, but something is better than nothing!!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #5
Seth Spritz

Profile:

The people at Sorinex were kind enough to provide me with some further, more detailed, specs on the Six Shooter bar.

I'll post them verbatim:

"1. BAR IS CROME COATED TO RESIST RUST. 20.5K (45LB.) IN WEIGHT.

2. BAR ENDS (SLEEVES) ARE SECURED WITH A DOUBLE SNAP RING AND CAPPED AND PINNED WITH THREADED STEEL FENDER, NOT BOLTED ON, TO PREVENT SLEEVE MOVEMENT. ENDS ARE "BULL NOSED" FOR EASIER PLATE LOADING.

3. ONE PIECE MACHINED SLEEVE (1.975 DIAMETER).

4. BAR IS KNURLED WITH MEDIUM DIAMOND PATTERN, CENTER IS NOT KNURLED, SO BAR CAN BE USED FOR OLYMPIC LIFTS OF POWER LIFTS.

5. BAR CONTAINS 3 HARDENED STEEL NEEDLE BEARINGS PER SIDE, WHICH ARE HEAT TREATED AND OIL COATED FOR LASTING LUBRICATION AND SUPERIOR ROTATION ABILITY.

6. BAR IS 1 1/8 ROUND STOCK OF 4150 ALLOY STEEL WITH A 1500 LB. RATING ALONG WITH A MINIMUM 185,000 PSI STRENGTH.

7. BAR IS AN AMERICAN MADE PRODUCT AND BEARS EVIDENCE OF USA ORIGIN.

8. SLEEVES ARE NICKEL PLATED FOR EASE OF BAR LOADING AND OUTDOOR USE."
Old 02-10-2011, 09:01 AM   #6
Bert Sorin

Profile:

Spec change-
Bar is now Chrome plated as well.

Thanks for posting Seth.