CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 02-04-2011, 09:13 AM   #21
Matthew Swartz

Profile:
Re: Globo-Gym vs. CrossFit

Trying to compare Crossfit to other workout routines is apples and oranges. It's like having football players play soccer players - they both run on a field and use a ball, so why can't they compare skills?

Getting away from the argument, did any of you go on the facebook page and look at the equipment they're using for this? Why not just buy rubber weights so you can THROW WEIGHT AROUND LIKE A CHAMP! like their machines enable you to do?

The comments on guys lifting with these things are hilarious as well, "WOW!" "HOLY!" and these guys are using resistance machines with single plates on the side.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:24 AM   #22
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
I think most of the responses are missing the point. In today's market social media can be a powerful marketing tool, particularly for a start up boutique gym like Wild Knight Crossfit. Smartly, Wild Knight was utilizing this medium.

I don't know anything about the geography of the area but I am assuming Wild Knight and Max Training are competitors. And to that end, Max training posted on Wild Knight's page that while the methods employed by Wild Knight we effective in developing power and strength, they were dangerous and that there was a better way of doing things. Not only that, but that this "better way of doing things" could be found just down the road at Max Training.

This is a direct attack on the gym's livelihood. Not only is this worthy of a challenge it is worthy of an a^& beating.

I agree with the others that if Max Training had posted this on its own page it is not worthy of a challenge and makes it seem like an inferiority complex to issue one. But as a direct attack and insult a challenge is the most gentlemanly way of handling it.

But Adam, both of these folks are trainers. I could be a better trainer than you, but you still be stronger, faster, etc. If "Wild Knight's CrossFit" loses customers due to this type of approach, they were probably lost anyway. Challenging them to a thruster-off makes one look twelve. How about "I'm a better coach, with a better method and here's why" Rise above, and let them look like the 12 year olds with inferiority complexes

EDIT: The really hysterical part is Mr. Knight was involved in the exact same thing a month ago with another CF affiliate.

Last edited by Robert D Taylor Jr : 02-04-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:27 AM   #23
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
But Adam, both of these folks are trainers. I could be a better trainer than you, but you still be stronger, faster, etc. If "Wild Knight's CrossFit" loses customers due to this type of approach, they were probably lost anyway. Challenging them to a thruster-off makes one look twelve. How about "I'm a better coach, with a better method and here's why" Rise above, and let them look like the 12 year olds with inferiority complexes
Although true, everyone who works out (in a competitive manner) has a little meat-head that pops up on their shoulder and wispers in their ear, "if you can do more [insert exercise], you're better than them!"

For me, it's bicep curls.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:34 AM   #24
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Swartz View Post
Although true, everyone who works out (in a competitive manner) has a little meat-head that pops up on their shoulder and wispers in their ear, "if you can do more [insert exercise], you're better than them!"

For me, it's bicep curls.
Yeah, I'm quick to notice that my squat is bigger than the other guy, or I can do more pullups than the 20 year old next to me. I swim just a little faster than the guy next to me (especially when I see him working on his Combat Swimmer Sidestroke) I get it, I'm saying none of that makes me a better trainer then him.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #25
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
Yeah, I'm quick to notice that my squat is bigger than the other guy, or I can do more pullups than the 20 year old next to me. I swim just a little faster than the guy next to me (especially when I see him working on his Combat Swimmer Sidestroke) I get it, I'm saying none of that makes me a better trainer then him.
Try a bicep curl-off. You'll change your mind.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:41 AM   #26
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:

People really need to check their facebook page out and look at their videos. I can't believe anyone would take that sh*t seriously. Most of their trainers are overweight... not that that makes them bad trainers but, it certainly should draw some skepticism...
Old 02-04-2011, 09:56 AM   #27
Scott Jenkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Schmitt View Post
People really need to check their facebook page out and look at their videos. I can't believe anyone would take that sh*t seriously. Most of their trainers are overweight... not that that makes them bad trainers but, it certainly should draw some skepticism...
reminds me of the quote, "Never get your hair cut by a bald barber"
Fran 3:19. Diane 2:49. Elizabeth 5:48. Cindy 26+21. Helen 7:50. JT 7:03. Grace 1.56
www.crossfitblackwater.com
Old 02-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #28
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jenkins View Post
reminds me of the quote, "Never get your hair cut by a bald barber"

Mike Burgener isn't in Oly lifting shape. Why is he coaching?!
Old 02-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #29
Scott Jenkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Swartz View Post

Mike Burgener isn't in Oly lifting shape. Why is he coaching?!
Generally in my globo its trainer's in there 20's walking around overweight or just out of shape lazily training people on the eliptical or something else , so not referring to people who have been at the top of there game so much. OK so maybe when my barber was younger he had a huge affro , whose to know.
Fran 3:19. Diane 2:49. Elizabeth 5:48. Cindy 26+21. Helen 7:50. JT 7:03. Grace 1.56
www.crossfitblackwater.com
Old 02-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #30
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:

EDIT: The really hysterical part is Mr. Knight was involved in the exact same thing a month ago with another CF affiliate.
I don't disagree with that. The proof is ultimately in the pudding but the pudding isn't necessarily the trainer's numbers. The "challenge" is in the improvement of athletes and the assistance in achieving goals. Unfortunately, these aren't as easily quantifiable as a "thruster off".

I don't think the a challenge comes off as immature in this instance but Mr. Knight's participation in this type of behavior on a previous occasion certainly does.