CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 02-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #11
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:
Re: Globo-Gym vs. CrossFit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
That doesn't mean it's right, or a smart thing to do without making yourself look like an idiot. What's the point of challenging someone to beat you in something they don't care about?

Two teams compete because they're members of the same league that play the same sport with the same rules. The Argentinian rhythmic gymnastics team can claim they're "elite" all they want and challenge the Lakers to compete against them, but all the Lakers are going to do is point to their trophy case full of NBA titles.

I'm more confused by how the OP's friend thinks you can build insane "cardio" by just throwing the weight overhead and not having to worry about receiving it correctly. If that's all he's worried about, he could just do clean pulls. Then there's the pesky little fact that 1RM-type Oly lifts aren't known for building cardio capacity, they're known for working you in the phosphagenic pathway and developing high peak power outputs.
I think Eric brings up a good point: we need to call out the Lakers and the Argentinian rhythmic gymnastics team so we can prove we are ELITE.

On a serious note, I'm pretty confused as to why people are continuing to call out other forms of exercise. People who do CrossFit compete at CrossFit. If someone thinks that they are fit enough to beat everyone in the CrossFit Games, good for them, prove it. But to call out people who are doing P90X or other "for the looks" programs is just dumb. That's like P90X calling out CrossFit to find out who has more "shredded" abs and "toned" muscles.

This stuff is absurd.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #12
Dustin Knight

Profile:

Someone posted that they're program is better. I said cool, come show me. I'm gathering that is bad thing now. That's like saying the Steelers have a better ground attack so therefore, they will win the Super Bowl. OK, great. Should that just be it? Should the Packers just say OK, you're right, we're inferior? Or should they play the game? At no time did anybody get downed. I still haven't gathered any valid point. Some guy who watches fantasy movies way too much had a joke or two, but nothing valid.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:47 PM   #13
Craig Rogers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
That doesn't mean it's right, or a smart thing to do without making yourself look like an idiot. What's the point of challenging someone to beat you in something they don't care about?

Two teams compete because they're members of the same league that play the same sport with the same rules. The Argentinian rhythmic gymnastics team can claim they're "elite" all they want and challenge the Lakers to compete against them, but all the Lakers are going to do is point to their trophy case full of NBA titles.

I'm more confused by how the OP's friend thinks you can build insane "cardio" by just throwing the weight overhead and not having to worry about receiving it correctly. If that's all he's worried about, he could just do clean pulls. Then there's the pesky little fact that 1RM-type Oly lifts aren't known for building cardio capacity, they're known for working you in the phosphagenic pathway and developing high peak power outputs.
they may not be the exact same rules as crosfit, but they did seem similar. High intensity and heavy lifts. They seemed to do more machine work than in a typical crosfit gym though. Not that there is anything wrong with it.
I would say its more like 2 rec league basketball teams meting up to play a game on Sunday afternoon that anything else.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:14 PM   #14
Charles Applin

Profile:

In the martial arts forums, there was this group that claimed to have power of "ki", and could stop a man at 20 feet with just his ki alone. Another martial artist "challenged" this claim, and ensured both sides were comfortable with the rules and what constituted a failure. Guess what happened? The other martial artist crossed 20 feet of beach sand very fast and got the "ki" master into an arm lock.

If someone's making a claim, is it wrong to ask them to back it up maybe with a friendly wager. Anyone here talk about being able to knock out 50 pull-ups in under 2 minutes at work, and have someone call bull? Ever then have a wager prior to backing it up, ensuring the rules about pull-ups are well covered?

Now, I don't know how you can contest claims of "improved cardio" since that's subjective without definite numbers all throughout the training cycle. For such claims, we're going way beyond friendly competition here into something like CrossFit Games, X-Games, T&F meets, etc.

However, back on the real subject here. We know we can create friendly, on the fly competitions using WODs. So long as both sides agree to the rules, then what's the harm? The WOD could be "Most 3 pointers in 5 minutes" or "Most push-ups in 2 minutes, followed by 2 minutes of sit-ups, followed by 2 minutes of squats" or "Toss sledge hammer for distance x5" or whatever. No more, no less than a simple pick up game of basketball or maybe tag football.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:26 PM   #15
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Knight View Post
Someone posted that they're program is better. I said cool, come show me. I'm gathering that is bad thing now. That's like saying the Steelers have a better ground attack so therefore, they will win the Super Bowl. OK, great. Should that just be it? Should the Packers just say OK, you're right, we're inferior? Or should they play the game? At no time did anybody get downed. I still haven't gathered any valid point. Some guy who watches fantasy movies way too much had a joke or two, but nothing valid.
The Packers and Steelers play the same sport in the same league and have the same Lombardi Trophy as their ultimate goal.

As I said before, you want to challenge someone to beat you at something they don't compete in and probably don't care about. Don't be surprised when they laugh you away.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:27 PM   #16
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Yes quoting one of the most famous lines from Lord of the Rings means you watch the fantasy movies way too much. Whatever you say chief.

You also never said in the first post that he said his program was better than Crossfit. The quote you posted was just him talking about how is program improves cardio. It never once pointed to him saying "This program is the sh*t! It'll get you fitter than Crossfit!"

And Charles the reason it's silly is because you're essentially challenging someone to a working out competition. And most people that workout don't see it as a competition like Crossfitters do. They're just working out and thinking "This is fun. I look better and feel better." Then they tell their friends. Then you (or whoever) run in with "It's on now biatch! You just said your training program is getting you in shape! Whatev playa! You ain't doing Crossfit so you ain't in shape G! You think yo wack-a$$ program is where it's at? Then bring it on!" Then before they know it you're doing air squats really fast going "I can do this all day bro! Real simple! AMRAP 5 minutes air squats!" Then while they stare at you flabbergasted you jump up with "Boom! 245! You just got served!"
Old 02-04-2011, 07:40 AM   #17
Dustin Knight

Profile:

Another invalid argument Jason. In no way shape or form did I go to these guys and say their program is ****. They called out CrossFit in general saying their program is better and for our members to try it free, and they did it on my box's facebook page. Shady business? I thought so, but instead of getting rattled, I simply said that I would love to come to their place, or they come to mine, just to see what program is really working out the best. I'm more or less using this as a great oppurtunity to get the CrossFit name out there in my area. And Eric, if you did a little research before commenting, you would see that maxtraining is a CrossFit wannabe with machines. They have a similar philosophy and they even use many CrossFit movements. So yes, like the Steelers and the Packers, they have different strategies and philosophy, but they're running some of the same plays. So Jason, read into this a little more and see if you can find another way to prompt me to avoid a competition. Next time you go to your box, or wherever you train, turn off the clock and don't worry about your times or weight, because people may think you have an inferiority complex, or that you're being cocky when you post your 2:30 Fran. Slow down partner.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:52 AM   #18
Scott Jenkins

Profile:

Quote:
Another invalid argument Jason. In no way shape or form did I go to these guys and say their program is ****. They called out CrossFit in general saying their program is better and for our members to try it free, and they did it on my box's facebook page. Shady business? I thought so, but instead of getting rattled, I simply said that I would love to come to their place, or they come to mine, just to see what program is really working out the best. I'm more or less using this as a great oppurtunity to get the CrossFit name out there in my area. And Eric, if you did a little research before commenting, you would see that maxtraining is a CrossFit wannabe with machines. They have a similar philosophy and they even use many CrossFit movements. So yes, like the Steelers and the Packers, they have different strategies and philosophy, but they're running some of the same plays. So Jason, read into this a little more and see if you can find another way to prompt me to avoid a competition. Next time you go to your box, or wherever you train, turn off the clock and don't worry about your times or weight, because people may think you have an inferiority complex, or that you're being cocky when you post your 2:30 Fran. Slow down partner.
Well put Dustin, after all this is in the 'COMPETITIONS' section of the message board, seems some people are in the wrong room. Now go squash the machine man.
Fran 3:19. Diane 2:49. Elizabeth 5:48. Cindy 26+21. Helen 7:50. JT 7:03. Grace 1.56
www.crossfitblackwater.com
Old 02-04-2011, 08:26 AM   #19
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:

So go compete with them, invite the Packers, Steelers, Lakers AND the Argentinian Rythmic Gymnastics Team. You guys can have a thruster-off at high noon. Have fun. Man, this exercise as sport stuff gets silly fast.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #20
adam adkins

Profile:

I think most of the responses are missing the point. In today's market social media can be a powerful marketing tool, particularly for a start up boutique gym like Wild Knight Crossfit. Smartly, Wild Knight was utilizing this medium.

I don't know anything about the geography of the area but I am assuming Wild Knight and Max Training are competitors. And to that end, Max training posted on Wild Knight's page that while the methods employed by Wild Knight we effective in developing power and strength, they were dangerous and that there was a better way of doing things. Not only that, but that this "better way of doing things" could be found just down the road at Max Training.

This is a direct attack on the gym's livelihood. Not only is this worthy of a challenge it is worthy of an a^& beating.

I agree with the others that if Max Training had posted this on its own page it is not worthy of a challenge and makes it seem like an inferiority complex to issue one. But as a direct attack and insult a challenge is the most gentlemanly way of handling it.