CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 01-16-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
Andrea Grunberger

Profile:
Horrible butt wink...help

Ok, so I thought I had really good squat form, but that was just I was going to parallel...Now that I've been going deeper, I just *cannot* control the "butt wink" no matter what I do.

I've been working out for months, and I have pretty decent ab control and actually went through PT about a year ago to work on ab control (cause I was having hip issues). No matter how hard I try, I just *can't* control it.

I'm thinking it is a hamstring issue? I have really tight muscles...I've just always been like that. Even as a kid taking gymnastics, I was the only one who could never get into a full split. And in the video, you can see that I can't even get my arms all the way up, haha. Nor can I keep my torso any more vertical (once again...strength or inflexibility? I really thing inflexibility...)

So my question is...what do I do about this? Just ignore it? Avoid adding weights to my squat (since I clearly can't even control the air one)...Just go to the point where I can control it?

Oh, and I'm watching the video now, which took awhile to get cause my dog likes to attack my camera - and realizing I am not even sitting as far back as I usually do...my legs are super tired & the carpet was kinda throwing me off...so don't critique that part too much, haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvzmKUAlZYk
Old 01-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
Howard Hensen

Profile:
Re: Horrible butt wink...help

You have tight hamstrings.
Go here, http://www.mobilitywod.blogspot.com/, and do a search for hamstring.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #3
James Rios

Profile:

i wouldnt be so quick to say tight hamstrings. ive got decent flexibility in my hamstrings and still had a similar problem. so for about 4-5 months i worked on 2 things opening my hip capsuls, and wall squats and now i have an OK squat.

look through the mobility wod near the beginning, and you will find stuff on opening up that hip capsul.
and wall squats are exactly what they sound like. walk up to a wall till your toes are touching said wall, and work on your squat from there. it forces you to keep an upright torso. i started with having a med ball under me cuz i couldnt control my decent, but it paid off cuz now i can do them well enough.

dont get discouraged if you dont see super results right away, you are undoing years worth of tight muscles, its not gonna happen over night
Old 01-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
Andrea Grunberger

Profile:

thanks for the responses! That mobility wod is awesome. I never really thought about really targeting/myofascial release on my proximal hammies. Was doing it today sitting on a broomstick, haha cause thats all I had for now. And wow...yeah, I am definitely gonna have to be working on those.

I'll have to look into opening up the hip capsule too...I am seriously just horribly tight everywhere. it sucks...I stretch sooo much (probably more time stretching than my actual workout).

While I am working those muscles loose, does someone have a suggestion for my squats?

Do I keep them up with the butt wink? I'm worried about that stressing my lower back. Or keep it above parallel?

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
Ian Nigh

Profile:

you wont stress the low back with air squats. heavy back squats, maybe, but even there it is debatable whether it is the infamous "butt wink" that puts the back in danger, or other factors like loosing tightness in the midline, rocking forward onto the toes, etc.
The best way to fix your squat is to squat.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:11 PM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

These are relevant to debunking the buttwink boogeyman:
http://www.70sbig.com/blog/2010/05/q...inflexibility/
http://www.70sbig.com/blog/2010/10/the-butt-wink/

Mostly WFS aside from some language here and there.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:01 PM   #7
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:

I vote to stop worrying about it.

You will always "butt wink" if you squat deep enough. Olympic Weightlifters will drop way below parallel. I am no expert, but I have a feeling they have a "terrible butt wink".

Your squat will fix itself. Historically people have been lifting things a lot heavier than you without much care for the shape of their spine.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:02 PM   #8
Robert Callahan

Profile:

You are getting decent depth without the butt wink, so just stop it there and stop trying to force the extra depth, at least for your workouts. Warm-up/Warm-down mobility work and stretching is when you should work for extra ROM.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:07 PM   #9
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Yeah, for some reason I get this problem during warm ups on back squats, or any light weight squat. When I get to my work sets though the butt wink stops. Possibly because I put my belt on for my work sets? Not entirely sure.

Good luck!