CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-16-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
Richard Lee Sattro

Profile:
Keto Diet

For those that are curious about doing a keto diet I have some insight for you. I have currently been doing a keto diet to lose weight after doing 1/2 GOMAD on CFFB.

What I have found is that my performance has stayed the same for the most part or increased in some cases. Obviously I am not gaining much if any strength on account of the calorie deficit. For those that are interested in doing it I would recommend doing Cyclical Keto Diet. The only thing that you have to remember is that you need to drink a ridiculous amount of water. You can also use this when you are trying to gain strength you just have to adjust the calories a little bit.

I am also curious as to anyone else that has been doing a keto diet while doing crossfit. What were your experiences? Did you do a CKD, TKD, or straighht keto?
Old 01-16-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
Paul A Booth

Profile:
Re: Keto Diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lee Sattro View Post
For those that are curious about doing a keto diet I have some insight for you. I have currently been doing a keto diet to lose weight after doing 1/2 GOMAD on CFFB.

What I have found is that my performance has stayed the same for the most part or increased in some cases. Obviously I am not gaining much if any strength on account of the calorie deficit. For those that are interested in doing it I would recommend doing Cyclical Keto Diet. The only thing that you have to remember is that you need to drink a ridiculous amount of water. You can also use this when you are trying to gain strength you just have to adjust the calories a little bit.

I am also curious as to anyone else that has been doing a keto diet while doing crossfit. What were your experiences? Did you do a CKD, TKD, or straighht keto?
Richard, when you say "Keto" Diet are you talking about (basically) Atkins or am I missing something. I am interested in learning as much about this as I can. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
Brad Carney

Profile:

I am also doing a CKD diet. The first week I felt a tad weird, but I got over the hump and my performance has been nothing but awesome.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
Richard Lee Sattro

Profile:

You are pretty much correct although Atkins isn't really geared toward athletes though. For that you need to gear it toward your goals. What is it that you want to learn? What are your goals?
Old 01-16-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
Jordan K Smith

Profile:

i did a ckd last spring. i like the way i felt and the weight that i lost, but i made several mistakes that make it hard to give it an honest review. first, i was doing to many long ridiculous metcons in a carbless state and burning up muscle i had gained on SS. i think that shorter bursts would fix that. think strength maintenance and fast wods, 5-15 mintutes. second the fat in the diet makes it pretty damn satiating, which is a good thing when trying to lose weight, yet i used it against myself. i started dropping calories too low during the week, and my carb ups were getting uglier every weekend. after 3 months it became harder and harder to shut down the carb up after the weekend. i was on the verge of developing some weird eating disorder.

again, things went wrong for me cause i messed them up. its not a bad plan, just be smart about it. these are my tips if you choose to go keto:

-keep workouts shorts and intense.
-even if you feel like you can get away with eating less, if you are already a good bit under your maintenance calories, don't eat less. you will start to lose muscle. (this can be said for any diet.)
-eat enough during the week that you dont go bananas on carb ups.

just my .02
Old 01-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #6
Paul A Booth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lee Sattro View Post
You are pretty much correct although Atkins isn't really geared toward athletes though. For that you need to gear it toward your goals. What is it that you want to learn? What are your goals?
My goal is to be as fit as possible - I am not concerned with my Bodyweight at all (Currently 5'11 225 - lost 15 pounds since I had surgery in August). It wouldn't bother me if I stayed 225, I just want to lose bodyfat and increase strength and stamina.

Right now I am eating a gluten-free Atkins Style Diet but I eat fruit and veg and don't count the carbs. It is going very well - I train Monday - Friday mostly boxing and kickboxing classes and I do "2-a-days" on Tuesday & Thursday which is when I get my lifting done. Some of my workouts are CF and some are not. Diet has always been my downfall, so I am here trying to learn what's good, what's bad and what has worked for others. Thanks.