CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-14-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
Carl Amolat

Profile:
A (Somewhat) Paleo Version of Fish and Chips

Fish and chips are a favorite food of mine, and I'm trying to think of paleo ways to prepare a favorite dish. I've already substituted white potato chips for sliced sweet potato, but I'm trying to think of a more 'Paleo friendly' batter for the cod, as I'm certain beer batter or tempura batter are definitely not Paleo.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: A (Somewhat) Paleo Version of Fish and Chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Amolat View Post
Fish and chips are a favorite food of mine, and I'm trying to think of paleo ways to prepare a favorite dish. I've already substituted white potato chips for sliced sweet potato, but I'm trying to think of a more 'Paleo friendly' batter for the cod, as I'm certain beer batter or tempura batter are definitely not Paleo.
Egg base + finely ground nuts?
Old 01-14-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
Ron Murray

Profile:

Might want to look up an almond flour or coconut flour batter recipe, I'm sure google will be very fruitful in this. If I wasn't on my cell I would post a link or two.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
Carl Amolat

Profile:

That could work. I can mix spices into the egg base (scrambled) and grind up some almonds I have at the house with a coffee grinder. Or will a coffee grinder not grind up the nuts finely enough.

And Ron, I definitely am looking up almond and coconut flour online. Looks like I might have to do more online shopping for paleo items because I'm not certain the base commissary carries that product.

Last edited by Carl Amolat : 01-14-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Coffee grinder should work fine, depending on your spice mix you might also consider grinding onion into it for flavour as well.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
Carl Amolat

Profile:

Old Bay Seasoning, Season All, Garlic, and a dash of Lemon Pepper are all under consideration to be added. I intend to carry this out Sunday night for dinner. Tonight is gonna be grilled flank steak and fried okra with fresh grapes.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:41 PM   #7
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

The wife does this quite frequently with other meats like chicken and pork chops. It's kind of like a shake and bake. We just ground up the almonds in a little food processor and add whatever spices you need. The "flour" itself isn't really that fine but it still tastes great. It keeps the meat pretty moist too. Sometimes she'll grind up the almond flour really fine for making almond bread but then use the larger chunks (that really didn't grind up) as well for this.

I haven't tried fish yet but I don't know why it wouldn't be similar.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:09 PM   #8
Meghan Reid

Profile:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cocon...-salad-recipe/

WFS

I bookmarked this recipe for chicken but it looks like any meat/fish would work and it would get that nice crunch.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #9
David Fletcher

Profile:

I've done the coconut and almond flour coating several times, and each time my conclusion is that it's not worth eating. Next time I get the craving I'm going to try one of those gluten-free flour substitutes from the hippy store. The ones made of ground chick peas, potato, and a bunch of other weird ingredients.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:54 PM   #10
Ron Murray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Fletcher View Post
I've done the coconut and almond flour coating several times, and each time my conclusion is that it's not worth eating. Next time I get the craving I'm going to try one of those gluten-free flour substitutes from the hippy store. The ones made of ground chick peas, potato, and a bunch of other weird ingredients.
which aren't paleo.