CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
Joe Gomez

Profile:
Paleo Kits vs Primal Pacs ?

Has anyone had these "primal pacs"? Ive had the Paleo Kits, I like them put $$ (yes I know good cause etc etc), please let me know, I might order 5 to try them.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:33 AM   #2
Tricia Magrini

Profile:
Re: Paleo Kits vs Primal Pacs ?

I haven't had the Paleo Kits, but do buy the Primal Pacs. They are cheaper & have no sunflower oil.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
Joseph L. Roberts

Profile:

Too quickly people lose sight of the 2nd and 3rd order of effects of these independent. Small business and what they do.

1. Granted, "I haven't tried them but the others they are cheaper" to paraphrase. is advice. Not the preferred technique but it is however; a technique.

2. The Paleo Kits help fund programs for children who may not have the same opportunities other wise. Does that make Paleo Kits better over Primal pace? Not at.

Don't get w rong I understand the "death before dishonor of Paleo and Zone" on here but not all life is counting blocks, creaking out over oils and such. Now and then there are other reasons to buya product.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
Steve Liberati

Profile:

I originally started PaleoKits in an effort to help fund Steve's Club. Our competitor ordered from us several times before taking the initiative to duplicate our product and copy our same marketing language ("real food" "just jerky" etc). No worries as a PaleoKit is a new food category and competition will only help bring more awareness to it. I think competition is a good thing as it only makes us continue to strive towards excellence and build the very best company we can from the ground up. As Coach Glassman is fond of saying, the market will reward the excellent companies as cream rises to the top.

While our products may appear to be very similar..they are NOT. So saying their product is cheaper than ours in an unfair comparison. It is like saying a Ford Taurus is cheaper than a Mercedes. Yes, it is cheaper but the quality is vastly different as well.

Please consider the facts (notwithstanding most of the proceeds of the PaleoKits go to fund Steve's Club and the Steve's Club National Program...note Steve's Club originated before PK's), which is not important in this discussion:

1.) Our meat comes from grassfed and free range cattle. The requirements to put grassfed on our USDA approved label is especially stringent and is not marketing language.

2.) Our jerky is made in a USDA approved facility. A USDA inspector is there everyday to ensure all the guidelines are followed to make a safe ready to eat food product. Jerky combined with dried berries and nuts is considered a high risk food product and many steps need to be taken to ensure proper food safety.

3.) Our meat comes from the muscle of the cow. This is high quality meat from the same cut as sirloins and rib-eyes. Our competitor uses chopped and formed jerky which is chopped up ground meat formed into little squares. This is similar to sausage. We actually know of a company that buys jerky in this fashion from a big commercial jerky company and then repackages the jerky into their own mix of jerky, nuts and berries and cleverly calls it their own recipe. Of course, I am not mentioning any names here but the truth will eventually prevail.

4.) Our dried cranberries and strawberries are apple juice infused with no sugar added. The company we source them from must use a tiny smidgeon of sunflower oil to prevent the berries from sticking together. The strange part here is that we ordered some products from competitor several months ago and sunflower oil was not listed on the label. We re-ordered recently and sunflower oil was listed, yet the same exact ingredients inside remained the same. Thats called clever marketing that the average consumer will easily overlook. The lost my trust right there as I know since the label is not USDA approved they are putting whatever they want on the nutritional deck and lying about the actual ingredients. Not only is this deceitful, but it is illegal and grounds for a felony.

5.) Our ingredients including the amount of jerky nuts and berries are carefully weighed out in each PaleoKit to ensure accurate and consistent grams of the ingredients in the package. We don't add a few nuts and a few berries and throw together a kit. They are individually assembled so that when it says 14 grams of protein, 6 grams of fat and 18 grams of carbs on the back label you know you are getting just that.

6.) PaleoKits have at least a 7 month shelf-life. We're able to accomplish this by the packaging we use, along with "secret recipe" we use in curing, cooking and spicing process of our jerky. We are proudly one of the first companies to come out with a sugar and preservative free jerky using a natural sweetener and natural preservative to soften and stabilize the meat. While anyone can easily make "paleo" jerky at your house by simply making jerky using a home dehydrator and only adding a few spices...this jerky will not last for more than a week without going bad and collecting bacteria. If you make your own jerky regularly, I would highly recommend you send it off the lab to check for plate counts just to be on the safe. I'm not trying to throw scare tactics around and say leave up to the professionals, but this can pose a very serious health risk. So the safety and shelf life of the product must also be taken in consideration when comparing a USDA approved ready to eat food product to someone that makes jerky in their basement with a batch of jerky that can be very dangerous and perhaps deadly if eaten outside of its standard 3 day shelf life (similar to left overs). Yes, dried meat on a stick is as Paleo as you get...must its not jerky!

I hope this helps clear up some confusion and help people make more informed buying decisions. Food marketing is super tricky and clever, and the responsibility falls on the consumer to know whom they are buying from and doing business with only trusted sources. This is the way it should be anyway.

Your in Health and Fitness,

steve
Old 02-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
Matthew T Pierce

Profile:

Primal Pacs are an original idea that provides a healthy snack alternative in a world full of highly processed, unhealthy foods.

All components of Primal Pacs are handled, stored, and packaged in a facility that exceeds USDA regulations.

Our beef is of excellent quality and is sourced locally from California and Washington.

Our cranberries are from a small farm in Oregon and contain no oils, however they are sweetened with apple juice.

We are proud to not use any sugar in our jerky recipe.

We will be competitive in the new world of paleo foods well into the future and are looking forward to helping people everywhere make better nutritional decisions.

Best, Matt
Old 02-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
Andrew Breyer

Profile:

I've ordered from Steve several times and have always been satisfied. Quick service and delivery of an outstanding product that supports a good cause. Does it get better than that?
Old 02-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #7
Jason B Brown

Profile:

Steve:

The new(er) Coconut Paleo Pak lists "strawberries" as an ingredient in the description but the packaging pictured lists "pineapple". Is it strawberry, pineapple, or both? Sorry for asking, I just prefer strawberries and am not big on pineapple.

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2011, 09:49 PM   #8
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason B Brown View Post
Steve:

The new(er) Coconut Paleo Pak lists "strawberries" as an ingredient in the description but the packaging pictured lists "pineapple". Is it strawberry, pineapple, or both? Sorry for asking, I just prefer strawberries and am not big on pineapple.

Thanks!
Strawberries.

We have still not updated the picture on the website. Thanks for pointing this out so we can fix it asap.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:38 PM   #9
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Breyer View Post
I've ordered from Steve several times and have always been satisfied. Quick service and delivery of an outstanding product that supports a good cause. Does it get better than that?
Thank you Andrew!! What you wrote means a great deal to us.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:00 AM   #10
Eugene Goldashkin

Profile:

i have tried the paleo kits and love them, but i will be buying some primal pacs to try them out. im glad that they both exist for us to choose from , im shure that in the next few years there will be thers popping up some may even be cheaper. but ill continue to support paleo kits as well as buy from others.